Other motor of interest - Aussie made "Foster V12"

Got something else that you want to show off that's not an FB or EK? Try this section.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Thommo
State: NOT ENTERED

Other motor of interest - Aussie made "Foster V12"

Post by Thommo »

This article is cut and paste straight from the Classic Australian Wooden Powerboat Association website.

"Quote Reklaw"
Firstly the man behind it. Fred Foster had an engineering shop in Mascot NSW. If you have some Foster Stocks and Dies in your shed, then you have some of Fred’s products.

Fred designed and built the first twin overhead cam conversion for the Holden grey motor and went on to break the world record for the 135 C.I. class in his Lewis skiff, Fossy, using that engine. You might have heard of a Waggot twin cam Holden engine but it’s not widely known that Fred did the first one. But back to the V12. …..

Fred wanted to do more and one day a friend showed Fred his Ferrari V12. So Fred did what came naturally to him and drew a V12 out on the concrete floor using a piece of chalk. He then went on to build his own V12 motor, casting the alloy block, machining the crank etc. It was aimed again at the 135 C. I class and came out at 132.9 C.I. There were a couple of things Fred didn’t make himself. This included the bearings, the valve springs and the distributor caps. Not visible in the photo below, the distributor caps are bright pink. Fred made a metal cast and had a Dentist friend mold the caps for him.

However, you can clearly see the starter motor in the pic. It’s that pulley with the cable would ‘round it. Fred thought that starter motors and large batteries could be done without, thus reducing the weight of the boat. He just used a motorbike battery for ignition. So, it’s a bit like a lawnmower, you wind it up, pull the pawl and away you go.

Terry Moran, owner of Bewitched (see my avatar) was “apprentice” to Fred for many years, helped Fred with the build of the V12 and quite often drove Fossy. Terry has the V12. It could still be started today, with just a little prepatory work required. Who knows, it might end up in a little skiff again one day.

Sadly the same can’t be said for Fred’s twin cam Holden motor. When Fred’s health started to fail, he offered the boat to Terry, but Terry declined the offer. I guess we’ve all been in a position where we have regretted a decision made some time ago. Anyway, Fred sold the boat and motor to a friend who didn’t see the significance of this great part of boating history. After all, it claimed a world record. He ended up taking the motor to the tip and the hull was left laying in long grass beside the road ( Darren, across the road from Roy Crouch’s place) in a very sad state. We looked at it once with a view to trying to salvage it but dismissed the idea. We now wish that we had grabbed it back then.

"Quote Thommo"
Its a V12 Grey Motor :shock: :clap: 8) :thumbsup: :lol:
Attachments
Foster V12.jpg
Foster V12.jpg (67.66 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
Blacky
State: WA

Re: Other motor of interest - Aussie made "Foster V12"

Post by Blacky »

Its amazing how bloody clever some people are :clap: :clap: :clap:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
bootlegger
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by bootlegger »

There are a few things left out of this story.
Freds record with the twin can holden was never recognised becouse the american power boat association said his engine didnt fit into the record class becaus he had one carb per cylinder.
Thry would only recognise it as a class boat with one carb for two cylinders.
Fred went on to build the v12 to piss them off. He intended to run 6 carbs.

Another interesting v12 was the wallbank.
It usd grey holden internals and two repco crossflow heads.
A guy in know here in sydney has it.
It was never completed.
parisian62
State: NSW

Post by parisian62 »

Its a V12 Grey Motor
WOW :shock: 8)
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
GreyEJ
State: VIC

Post by GreyEJ »

bootlegger wrote:Another interesting v12 was the wallbank.
It usd grey holden internals and two repco crossflow heads.
A guy in know here in sydney has it.
It was never completed.
Frank Wallbank V12 some more info:

2 blocks were cast, one disappeared and whereabouts are unknown.

The remaining block is in the possession of a guy in NSW ( we know the same guy bootlegger ), he has the crank and other parts and plans to get it going. It was designed to run 2 Repco crossflow heads with the carbs on the outside and the exhaust in the middle valley. It was to be used in a boat so space was less of an issue.

It was hopped to achieve 400hp @ 8,000 rpm

Was designed to run 4 x 45mill Webbers

Cool as. When I visit next I'll take some photos.