spotto ek convertible

Have you spotted any FB's or EK's we haven't seen before. Post your pics here.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

EKDV8
State: NOT ENTERED

spotto ek convertible

Post by EKDV8 »

my mate picked this up today , the guy he bought it off was trying to fit it to a holden one tonna chassis :shock: ,it origanaly had a 202 and hr running gear .any one know the history of it ?
Image :glasses:
Melbourne body and sub frame
foundation member #12 fb/ek holden club of WA
mph
State: WA

Re: spotto ek convertible

Post by mph »

I seen it on gumtree i think, it didn't seem to fit the chassis well. Can std diff and k frame be put back under it.
FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.
EKDV8

Post by EKDV8 »

mph wrote:I seen it on gumtree i think, it didn't seem to fit the chassis well. Can std diff and k frame be put back under it.
yeah I don't know what the guy was thinking trying to put it on a one tunna chassis ,it was way to wide and the wheel base is wrong .it was already a running drivable car with a 202 and hr running gear ,which he sold off prior to trying to get it to fit the tunna chassis .all the front panels and trim is all there ,the sub frames a bit rusted .underneath it has some heavy box tube chassis rails and x member ,but when the guy removed the diff here just gas axed the spring hangers off as he couldn't get access to the bolts because off the chassis rail was welded across them . for the moment my mates plan is to assemble it as a roller and later on in the year at his wifes 40th birthday bash which will be a grease themed party have it there in garden for all the drunken big kids to jump in and have photo taken .don't know what will happen with it after that its too crudely done to put back on the road. he paid $1500 for it with the running tunaa chassis ,sold the chassis for $1200 so it only owes him $3oo bucks :thumbsup:
foundation member #12 fb/ek holden club of WA
EK Kustom

Post by EK Kustom »

If you want a cheap and easy solution to building a convert that is V8 powered then look at a 2wd hilux chassis. Particularly since you seem hell bent on a simple garden ornament now. So why not build a fairgrounds cruiser instead.

So anyway...for a full floorpan. I'd buy a 4 runner body to put upon that chassis. Then trim up the sides of the floor to match the inner dimensions of the holden body. But you never know it might almost fit inside the body with lil of no trimming up. KB rodeos only need the outer sills trimmed off the floorpan.

With the holden body try to keep the inner sills intact in it. This will keep it more rigid.

Mounting the floorpan inside is the easy part. Weld 40 0r 50mm 3mm angle inside the body horizontally across your A,B and C pillars to set your ride height on the floorpan. Then trim it back till it meets up with your firewall and toeboard . Just be sure to place the floorpan on top of the angle so its fully supported underneath. It can get a bit tricky slipping it in and under but i do mine on my own with the body suspended on chains from a A frame on each end. This is great to tilt the body slightly sideways over the floorpan. If one guy can do it a bunch of you'll do great at it.

Once its over place the front wheels about 10mm forward of there current position on the front fenders to guarantee a perfect fit. If the rear tyres don't line up then move the rear wheel arches to suit. I'm not saying it'll be a breeze to do but you'll end up with a pretty neat result in the end. Now imagine it on a 4Bee chassis.....neat ay?. For the record i have a 38 for'd RPU rock climber mounted on one that seats 8 but compared to how this one was when i got it, yours is mint and gold plated. I just don't understand it when something that looks that good is unsaveable, maybe only to you guys.

Another chassis of thought is, one from a full chassis'd Toyota crown to use under it firewall, floorpan and all then chuck a rover V8 in it. It'd be a cool rig to cruise around in then. If that's ya thing.