FB Wagon in the RACV Club foyer

Have you spotted any FB's or EK's we haven't seen before. Post your pics here.

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Anocsc
State: NOT ENTERED

FB Wagon in the RACV Club foyer

Post by Anocsc »

There is a very nice FB Wagon in the RACV Club foyer (in Melbourne): http://anocsc.com/city-car-parking-in-t ... lub-foyer/

Blacky
State: WA

Re: FB Wagon in the RACV Club foyer

Post by Blacky »

I'm guessing that is Tony "Nascohunter" Galeas ?
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Think you're right Blacky.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
rosco

Post by rosco »

I'm almost certain of it...
Now - that rego plate... that FB is pretty much one of the last of them to be registered going by the letters/numbers...
My EK is HKJ-054.. and I'm an August '61..... interesting - like to see under the hood ... think some will know what I'm looking for..

frats,
Rosco
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

My EK was HHT and is a real early 61. So it must have been a late one getting plates on it.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
rosco

Post by rosco »

I did see this car at Hanging Rock one year when our club attended - it is indeed a lovely car and a credit to Tony, he has some beautiful cars - his FC (although I should be shunned for mentioning it here) has been in the Shannons TV commercial - that car, as well as this one are pure gems.

There was "something" about the bonnet... and your mention has just reminded me that it was, in fact - one of the very last FB's to come off the line...

Next time folk here are at an FB/EK show - see if you can spot the difference between an FB and EK bonnet... and, don't ask - because I'm not telling - it's one of the little "treats" I enjoy when looking around at shows - love people telling me that the car is absolutely stock original... I don't let on - well, not unless asked by the owner.

AFAIK - the EK was released in May '61... maybe they ran out of FB panels.... I know Tony went "ape" (sic) when he was down-marked for it not being original... how original can you get, when the factory has to fill gaps in their supply?

Just ask Tony - I'm certain he will tell you about it.

frats,
Rosco
Craig Allardyce

Post by Craig Allardyce »

I know what you mean Rosco. I'm not an aficionado when it comes to that detail............I'm still learning after all these years. We had a get together at Emerald Lake/Cardinia Reservoir a year or so ago and Richard pointed out some similar differences with his FB/EK which pointed to the fact that a complete body was used i.e. its alternate model ( I cant remember which one it was). Yes the bonnet was one detail but the other was with the interior light door switch. Interesting stuff. I love the history side of things when it comes to these cars.
rosco

Post by rosco »

Yep - got that one, Craig.. they are all there to see if people really want to "see" things..

But, for the most part - you also have to find "original" cars... as you mention, Richard's might look like an FB - but is a very good example of being forced to use EK parts to complete the build.

Some people who walk around show'n'shine displays look at the bling, the paint, the accessories and the "pretty" cars...
I'm a bit of an oddball (you doubt?) - I like to take big looks at anything which has a history. I get a particular "buzz" when I find something "intact".. no matter what condition it's in. Some owners of these cars tell me they want to "do this and that" - and I do my darndest to tell them what they have - and to go walk around and find just how few there are like it.... so far, my little "talks" have given rise to a much higher appreciation. To me, it's not the bling and eye grabbers - it's those dear old things which, to many - sit in the corner..and hardly get a second glance - and it's great to find a new one or two at each show...

There are probably not many of us left who grew up in these old girls... we "drooled" over new models and because our families didn't have money for wasting on toys - and "gameboy/playstation/nintendo" like amusements were things we could not afford - even at carnivals etc... we made our own games - to have a "pedal" car was likened to being royalty within the neighborhood... even it if was the most dinged/battered and rusted out hulk. We set goals amongst ourselves in "knowing" more about cars than each other... down to very fine detail.

My family were really Vanguard people - but we did have an FB wagon.. the only Holden my father ever bought - and in the very earliest of my schooling, I did get taken to school for the first 2 years (60 and 61) in a black FB and later EK taxi - six kids across the back seat and two in the front - oh, and yes - "that" taxi bar... teeth smasher.

Neville was our driver - and he pointed out a lot of the differences... because we "wanted" to know.. and he "wanted" to tell..

The EK was an auto - the first one I'd ever been in - and I was just so impressed - along with the quadrant indicator on the steering column and big brake pedal.. this, folk - is at age 5 1/2..... I guess I've been looking ever since.

When I got my old bus - I was really in heaven - aged 17 (drove it home on "L" plates from Gisborne). This dear old thing had been in my extended family (sister's father-in-law) since new.. I used to look at it in the driveway - and compare it to my father's FB... lots of time spent "looking"... the old chap really loved his car.. and so did I for over ten years in its original state...

I'm really now paying penance for chopping up my old bus back in '82/3... for the past 20 years, I've been regretting it more and more.

Sadly, at the time - it was a case of either doing so or selling it to the Hughes Bros.... it may have been one of their display cars if I had.. but I kept it - against Alec's advice not to modify it - I did... fun and excitement for the first ten years (not to mention chasing every little thing that didn't quite fit or work properly) but, when the second car came along... I really started to rue the day I cut the floor...

So, folk - perhaps, just perhaps - you can appreciate why I like to look around for "untouched originals"... these dear old things take me back to that wonderful, innocent and very meagre time in my life.. but it afforded such richness in life - I now wouldn't have swapped with the rich kids who used to run us down....

I vaguely remember a thread being run here a decade or so back... differences - if it resurrected, I won't contribute further to what I posted back then.... I like having "some" little bits to myself - call me selfish, if you like... but I do have a hidden chuckle at times.. all part of the enjoyment, Craig..

frats,
Rosco
Last edited by rosco on Wed May 06, 2015 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Craig Allardyce

Yes Roscoe I fully understand. I too had been through the modified ringer in the past of which the last "chop" job was a rust free FC sedan that I jammed a 400 cube small block in. Definitley fun to drive especially when the needle hit the stop at 110Mph but not fun with all the niggles to sort out. The one thing though that I have found of late (maybe its age) but I find these days I enjoy the time warp aspect when getting around in my car on the back roads in the bush/country. Now I'm not after all the mods nor interested in chopping things up (each to his own of course) but its the mystic of the era when these old girls where on the road. I think you could say that's its the times when things were a little simpler, quieter, honest, tougher, etc....................maybe the good ol days to some extent. My current FB went through the ringer to some extent, 138, 186, 202, LPG, Trimatic, .......etc. I was hell bent though that I wasn't going to chop the body to do it. I'm glad now as you know its back to the Grey with a bit of period engine work and that's it. An all in all I know that I love driving this car more than I did the FC with the V8. Call me silly :hehhh"

Oh, with Richards car, I'm not sure but I think it wasn't a donor body. Something tells me there was something odd about the body number that suggested that the new shell was used to build a factory previous model before the new model was available, if that makes sense. More a production run out to some extent. Richard????
rosco

Post by rosco »

Craig, to Richard's credit - he persevered with that build.
The closer it got to actually getting it on the road - the more issues popped up.
He had issues with engineers and the RTA - even the Police gave him the runaround.... many would have simply dropped the project and sold off the car to recoup outlay...
The engine issue was a complete debacle.. and it's "ongoing"... well, the block is (hint hint).

Yes, great times - and probably to many/most we share our passion with, before their time.

Ladies in gloves and hats, men in hats and suits - dressing up in your "best" clothes on Sunday and all the family home for Sunday night tea...

It was also a time when you could "go out and play" with the neighborhood kids (not that there were many where I lived down in the bush part of our suburban Mitcham - which, incidentally - is now a walking reserve) and simply be left to look after each other... had to be home by dark - they were the rules... we simply "knew" what we were allowed and more importantly not allowed to do - or how far to stray (which was in fact around the mile and a bit from home). You'd never question any adult, never talk to a stranger and the policeman was someone you had the utmost respect for..
Now, Craig (and others) tell me where today has gone "wrong"... give me those old days to bring kids up anytime.. I know our kids pretty much grew up in as best the same lifestyle that I did - with only minimal alterations.

Yes - totally agree... so many of our old cars chopped and changed - and to your credit, Craig - you've got one back on the road for all to enjoy.. dibs to you.

So, folk - when you go to a show'n'shine - I'd like to think that what we've written affords you just that little extra aspect of what we are actually looking at.... they are now all well over 50 years old.. it would be amazing to find something in one car - which belongs to another... see, you too can enjoy this weird "chuckle" I strangely seem to hold...

Oh, and I've asked this many times - if anyone finds grey motor number B210600 - I want it.. it's the original from my old bus - and I'll try to make amends to my youthful digression....as Craig has done with his fabulous FB.

frats,
Rosco
Craig Allardyce

Good words Rosco,

B96098 for me. I think lotto will happen first.

Sorry I wasn't clear about Richards car, it was the blue sedan he has not the EFI 186 sedan.
Anocsc

Post by Anocsc »

Who'd have thought posting this photo would end up in a discussion about how sheltered our kids are growing up today!!

Anyway, here's the bonnet - if that helps at all. Didn't get a photo under the hood.

Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Devilrod wrote:Think you're right Blacky.
Tony was kind enough to let us drive it at the 2006 nats at Albury seeing as we were stuck with a hire car .....
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
rosco

Post by rosco »

Ah, Craig - BlueHaze... not the "rocket"... ok, didn't know about that - but I soon will... just over 3 weeks until we leave for our 4 day haul up there.

Yes, apologies to the OP.. I can "flitter" way off topic.. my fingers can nearly keep up with my thoughts... again, apologies.

No, sorry - no cigar... we need a pic of the underside of the bonnet - now, that's all I'm giving away.. but, thanks for the pic - it is indeed a beautiful car..

frats,
Rosco
Anocsc

Post by Anocsc »

Don't apologise Rosco. It's the passionate ones that keep communities like this alive. You've got me intrigued now about the undersides of bonnets!!! I now have to try and work out the differences so I know whether mine's an FB or EK bonnet... And dammit, it's not an obsession. I just have to know!