NoMAD's Kustom FB Sedan

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

NoMAD
State: WA

NoMAD's Kustom FB Sedan

Post by NoMAD »

Alright guys realised I've been on here a little while now without actually posting any photos or to many details but asking many a question. Unfortunately I can't post photos at present (Lazing around at work :twisted: ) but will either tonight or tomorrow when I get home.
Here goes:

It's a FB Special Sedan (actually the one that was on here for sale by AshFB on Oct 6th)

As the article said there's been a bit of bodywork done to it, and so far the only rust that has been found is a small section in the front passenger floor plan the size of a 20 cent piece. Also who ever had it before Ash modified the bonnet to take '57' Chev bullets (I plan to get a standard bonnet painted as well to see what I prefer)

Plans for the FB
- 186 (bored 40thou) - Mildly Warm
- Twin Stromberg's
- TH700 4 speed VP Commodore Box
- Volvo 164 Diff (with Disk Brakes, same stud pattern and width as Early Holden Diffs) - Currently being modified to suit the Leaf Springs and a also having a rebuild!

Its hopefully going to be a bit of a Mild Kustom with little touches here and there (and obviously to start with the bonnet) but also want it to have that Mean Street Rod look and stance (hopefully)

Currently the Front End has been finished and in the Car, its a HD Drum Brake Front End with all new rubbers, ball joints, Monroe GT shocks, 1" lowered Lovell springs, with HQ Stub axles (Lowering the front another 1") and HQ Slotted Brakes - redrilled to suit early stud pattern and the nose machined down, with HX Calipers. Currently with Stock LH Torana 14x6 rims that I had lying around
The tunnels been cut out to fit a larger one for the TH700 (thanks CRS), and the diff and rear springs have been removed to start to fit the Volvo Diff.

Finishing that in the next 2 to 3 weeks then its time to start trial fitting the motor/box combo and weld on some engine mounts! And fit up a chassis kit for a bit more strength. I'll keep you guys posted on the progress no doubt

Cheers
NoMAD

Keep an eye out for pictures to follow shortly!
Opinions, criticisms, and especially ideas all welcome and wanted!
Last edited by NoMAD on Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

I havent forgotten about the chassis kit NoMAD , will try and drag it out of the shed this weekend.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
NoMAD

Chassis Kit for NoMAD

Post by NoMAD »

thats cool mate, take your time theres no rush like i said mate (that wasn't a comment at you - just part of plans)

Thanks in advance mate

NoMAD
NoMAD

Pictures as Promised

Post by NoMAD »

Here are the Pictures Guys - FB Special Sedan

Pictures As Purchased from AshFB
Front End Finished and in.
The New Gearbox a little bigger than the 3 speed
Diff Modifications so far!

There You go, only a couple i have about 150 more! so i picked the best few.

Cheers
NoMAD
EK-179
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by EK-179 »

Nomad,
That looks like a really straight FB, you must be stoked to have only found that one spot of rust hey :lol: Keep the pics rolling, looks like its going to be a pretty cool car when its finished 8)
yogie

Post by yogie »

great looking car there chap. Now when you cut out your floor hump,

1 did you cut the floor bracing out also.

2 did you reuse the orig floor brracing on the rod shop hump

3 do you have any pics of the job from the underneath

4 What cross member will you use now for the gear box and can you please post pics of that also...please. and

5 what will you be doing on the bonnet, they look like 57 chev hood ornaments ???

Hope I'm not being a nosey parker... :shock:
NoMAD

General Q's

Post by NoMAD »

1 did you cut the floor bracing out also.
The floor bracing is still in, i'm not sure as to whether that has to come out yet and be moved or not yet i've seen pictures with the member still there and also with out.
2 did you reuse the orig floor brracing on the rod shop hump
As above mate!
3 do you have any pics of the job from the underneath
i'll post some up for you when the jobs complete, i'm going to fit the gearbox first and make sure it all fits before i weld the tunnel in
4 What cross member will you use now for the gear box and can you please post pics of that also...please. and
i'm going to fabricated something for the gearbox when the time comes, i'll post pictures for you again mate.
5 what will you be doing on the bonnet, they look like 57 chev hood ornaments ???
thats what they are, good eyes mate!, but as i said i'm going to do a normal bonnet as well just in case i dont like it.

Plans are for a custom grille as well, similar to Devilrods (sorry mate i had no intentions of stealing it, i actuall stole it from Streetneats FC Kustom)

Any other questions mate, just ask!

Cheers
NoMad
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

NoMad I see you too used the CRS tunnel. As for the bracing underneath we made a new brace to run on the inside of the tunnel to retain the original strength in the car. You will have to remove the original bracing for clearance as we did for a trimatic!

As for the grille don't stress too much as it has been done many times before. :D
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
NoMAD

Tunnel Bracing

Post by NoMAD »

Have you got any pictures of the new bracing?

I'm going to trial fit the motor and box before the tunnels actually welded in, and the do any modifications required, just intrested to see how any one whos done this went?

Cheers
NoMAD
(WANTED FOR CHEAP: FB Front Over-Riders - in WA!)
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

Sorry no real good pics they're blurry, I might try and get some for you though..
NoMAD

NoMAD's FB Special Update

Post by NoMAD »

Its been a while since an update so here goes:

The Front Ends been it the vehicle and rolling, and now out again while we tidy up the front clip & Firewall and modify it to take a red motor radiator out of an LJ Auto LJ Torana

The Diff was tidy up, mounts made up, suspension refurbished, and diff resting in place and rolling

Chassis Kit Rails have been made up, and in primer waiting to be welded/bolted in place when the floor plans and under carriage have been finished.

As you can see a little bit more rust was found and the easy way to deal with it - cut it all out!

Out with the old Steering in with the new, with help from Rod from Rods Racks and Suspension in QLD we have a reconditioned shortened Rack and Collapsible Steering Column all ready to be Welded and Bolted In when the floor plans are done.

Forgot to add we have started modifying the TH700 to bolt to the motor using a CRS Kit, here it sits after cutting out the spot for the Starter Motor and the Adapter plate bolted up

And thats where she sits for the time being!

Later Guys
NoMAD
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

Cool, nice progress...
Sammy

Post by Sammy »

very nice project, coming along very nicely too!

i'd be keen to see how the t700 goes behind the holden 6, i too bought that same adaptor kit and have a t700 to go behind the 202 in my LH torana but the missus (who drives the torry) wants to keep the 5 speed now so i stopped with it, but i'd like to see how they go, personally i reckon it should be a very nice bit of kit!
Regards,

Sammy.

http://www.oldholdens.com
NoMAD

NoMAD'S FB

Post by NoMAD »

Also forgot to add i've splashed out and bought a Lokar 16" Shifter to suit the box and a digital in dash controller for a little bit more fun!

Not Cheap but dam Kool!

Plans have now slightly changed to incorparate an XB/XC Fuel Tank (like EK283's - see Chev EK Pics) - anybody know what size wheel there spare wheel well can take?

Cheers
NoMAD
Harko

Post by Harko »

I apologise if this had already been mentioned Nomad but are you , or rather you should be aware that the later comm VR on are electric kick down , The early VN are cable mate , I reckon you already knew this but just double checking .
Sammy ive had a 700 behind a 192 in the FB for a bit and although theres a bit of stuffing around it would be one of the best old world - new world conversions for old Holdens out there .
quick off the mark , purrs along in top.
Easily distracted angle manipulator extrordinaire.