Chev EK

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

EK283
State: NSW

Re: Chev EK

Post by EK283 »

Blacky wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:43 pm Got dyno time booked mate ? Haven't seen your entry for Fins on the River yet ......... :)
Dyno is booked, it will be chassis.

No entry yet, got some family issues at the moment so may not get there, I will know by the end of next week.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

EK283 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:52 pm Hi Stephen,

I have about 120 thou on the inlet with 60 thou radial clearance.The exhaust has about 260 thou and does not register with the clay.

It worried me a little but after reading copius amounts of data it seems I have nothing to worry about in this regard.

The consensus is that checking with soft and light checker springs as aposed to the normal springs, will give you an extra 30 thou clearance. Apparently the resistance in the valve train, chain stretch, deformation of the push rods and flex of the rocker studs actually retards the timing when the engine is running. When the timing is retarded that gives you more PTV on the inlet and less on the exhaust, hard to measure that although !!

Love this video,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUYn5kFFb5s

Regards

Greg

Thanks Greg,
Interesting video, amazing to see the residual energy in the spring after the valve closes!
S
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Good luck. Hope you make it Greg.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Slotting it in today !!!

New Rocket covers as well :wink34: :wink34:

Greg
IMG_0730.JPG
IMG_0730.JPG (4.19 MiB) Viewed 820 times
IMG_0731.JPG
IMG_0731.JPG (3.87 MiB) Viewed 820 times

Greg
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Good luck Greg. Those heads and tappity covers look smik!

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie
FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

Love the blacked out engine Greg
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

No fair, I am on site and this is all I can see ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Band width LOL...

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

EK van on rotisserie
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Blacky can you see this ?

The heart is back in !!!

Few anxious moments and yes I chipped the firewall paint with a stupid brain fade !!!!

Oh well brush repair it is.
IMG_1864.JPG
IMG_1864.JPG (5.12 MiB) Viewed 755 times
IMG_1865.JPG
IMG_1865.JPG (4.39 MiB) Viewed 755 times
IMG_1866.JPG
IMG_1866.JPG (5.59 MiB) Viewed 755 times
Hook up all the stuff tomorrow, cant wait.

Greg
BILLY BLACKARROW

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

We need a sound vidio Greg :yeahhh: :yeahhh:
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
EK283

Post by EK283 »

BILLY BLACKARROW wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 6:58 pm We need a sound vidio Greg :yeahhh: :yeahhh:
Will do Billy, a couple more days.
IMG_1867.JPG
IMG_1867.JPG (5.32 MiB) Viewed 721 times
All the underneath is done, just radiator and exhaust plus a tidy here and there.

Greg
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Hell that is pretty!

EK van on rotisserie
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Errol62 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:14 pm Hell that is pretty!

Can you see a reflection of me somewhere ?

Greg
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Well the trip Echuca was tops but i returned with a couple of fixes that need to be done.

Post mortem, fuel starvation and vapour lock, not really bad but can ruin your day because of its unreliability.

What I need, a new tank that will support the proper fuel delivery system, I could stay with the XB but I want to have it pain free, is there any such thing ????

I have learnt a lot on this journey and the fuel injection is something i need to conquer personally !!

So initially we have a gravity fed pump that supplies the old style analogue controlled Holley injection, great stuff until you run low on fuel or take a nice left hand bend, all the fuel goes to the drivers side and starves the pump which in turn gets hot from no fluid cooling and vapourises the fuel into gas. Technical , you bet.
The modern aftermarket fuel pumps for injection are interesting because you can't just buy a pump based on psi output as the pumps vary in speed with voltage ups and downs so the psi is constantly changing. Most are rated via volume pumped at a certain voltage and the psi is a variable due to pipe size length and the amount of bends the fuel lines have.
I have chosen a holley sniper throttle body injection and am going to set the fuel delivery with a return system. This means the pump will create pressure and go through the throttle body and exit via a remote regulator then back to the tank, the pressure will be 60psi.
The decision i made today is to use a BA BF fraud pump (which you can get anywhere) it has outlet, return, swirl pot and non return valve to make sure the pump is always with fuel. The neat thing is the return line fills the swirl pot so fuel starvation apart from having no fuel is almost eliminated.
Next will be a modified aluminum tank with a sump for the fuel pump to sit in, not really required but will again make sure there is fuel for the pump to suck. I have also become fancy and have decided to use a holley fuel LIDAR sensor, supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread but afffordable compared to most aftermarket senders. The unit has no moving parts and because I will be modifying a areoflow tank will hopefully be an easy fix.
This has come about because here in NSW you are not allowed to send fuel back to the tank inside the boot so all the pump and connection will have to recessed into the top of it and under the floor. !!! PHEW.
Thats enough for tonight, I will post some progress pictures shortly.

Regards Greg
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

LiDAR: Light Detection And Ranging. Used in surveying and mapping to create point clouds for rendering into digital models of terrain, vegetation and structures. My dentist uses it to make crowns and implants. Commonly called laser scanning.

Old cars mate. It never ends. Certainly was a pleasure to finally see the beast, as well as you and the missus of course.

EK van on rotisserie