EK Wagon project - Total rebuild

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Finny
State: QLD

Re: EK Wagon project - Total rebuild

Post by Finny »

wot179 wrote:Chicks dig scars.
yes they do.....
IT's LIKE WATCHING DRUNK MONKEYS TRYING TO HUMP A FOOTBALL.
Finny

Post by Finny »

Looks like I haven't done an update for a while, and its an ongoing project, will lots still to be done. :D

Had already installed the stereo and had speakers in the front kick panels and the rear cargo panels.
The sound was OK, but had to keep adjusting the volume, too low when driving and too loud when stopped.

I needed some additional speakers, and an Amp.
All the normal issues, where to install it, rerun wires and power, and hide it all away, etc.
Made up a box to level it out and stop it moving around.
So in with a nice 4 channel amp. additional speakers in the top of the dash and now getting some great and clear sound.

Also found that the front seat had lost its spring, so replaced the broken ones with new springs, clips and foam.
Just need to get the front seat cover upgraded to match the original rear seat. 8)

Last edited by Finny on Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finny

Post by Finny »

Have also now finished installing the strips in the rear cargo area.
Took a while to get the bar lengths right and counter sink the holes.
You can also see the new 6x9 rear speakers.

Finny

Post by Finny »

Have also done the whole wheel update.
Still have the originals but I do love a nice set of mags. 8) 8)
Had the Dragways and also some jelly beans.
But swapped the jelly beans for the hotwires, don't see to many of them around.

The hotwires fit well, no rubbing, then fill the area well, no big gaps, and I like the look. :D :D

Finny

Post by Finny »

And lastly a few photos from the Nationals at Hervey Bay.

Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Looking good Finny, the car is a credit to you .... :thumbsup:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Nice work Finny. Looking good.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
rosco

Post by rosco »

Hi Finny,
yes - most of us have a never-ending unfinished project with our old buses.... it's the one positive legacy which sets us aside from both original and sports.
I do very much like your work with those luggage bay strips - they look very congruous to me, and befit the great work you have done on the finish and detail of this great build.

As for wheels - well, as I have mentioned many times - I simply love Dragways on early (up to '67) Holdens.
Sadly, there has always been issues with fitting them - especially the original or later classic versions.
I was never a fan of the Indy style alloys - they were very popular because they simply fitted - not having the large offset of Dragways - even the LC/LJ Torries sported these Indy wheels because they were an easy fit.

I am indeed impressed with the layback seat - is it at all possible to get a complete flat deck from the front bench through to the tailgate? I'm guessing not - that would pull some looks, but I expect folding the rear bench forward prevents this.

As for your sound system - I'm glad to read that you have had some success. I fully concur that road noise causes issues.
We find it disturbing how loud we have ours up when running on the road... this being highlighted when we come to a stop - or pass slowly through a town on a long run.
It shouldn't be too difficult to fit an attenuator switch for highway/local volume.... I don't know if your amp has ability to fit such a control - I can think of some crude ways of effecting such a control at the pre-amp end by implementing a quad set of resistors through relays... or maybe even knocking out the front speakers when in "local" mode through an "in/out" relay board.
Guess it depends on the importance of some "background" music when out and about.

We don't have an amp with ours. We rarely have it on when traveling, but if parked somewhere for any length of time - it's always an option to either add to the ambience or listen to the radio.

I expect that your concerns with the front end have been rectified - please PM me with your findings.

Again, Finny - great work... I did very much enjoy looking over your great wagon at HB - and finally meeting up with you both.
As is the case with many nats we've attended - there never is enough time to enjoy the company of everyone... the dinners and show'n'shine simply melt away - and before we know it, it's done for another year and we drive away in reflection..

frats,
Rosco
Finny

Post by Finny »

Has been a while since i posted on the forum, but the wagon continues to be a little work horse, but can't help being a show pony.
Did a wedding for one of my sons, they were very happy. Still waiting for the photographers pics to arrive.
Attachments
IMG_7931.PNG
IMG_7931.PNG (1.53 MiB) Viewed 1034 times
Finny

Post by Finny »

I still have lots of stuff to finish, just need the time.
Reverse lights, extra side moldings, replacement windscreen, tailgate seal, etc.
Did some maintenance recently. Stopped the brake squeal in reverse and fixed my steering wander.
It appears that at some stage the split pin was removed from the idler arm. Very dangerous.
Once tightened and pinned its steering quite well. :D

But most of the time she still gets used for dump runs, towing the trailer, carrying loads and tools and being a general work horse.
Attachments
work1.JPG
work1.JPG (110.41 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
Steer1.JPG
Steer1.JPG (126.96 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
Disc 1.JPG
Disc 1.JPG (108.11 KiB) Viewed 1031 times
Finny

Post by Finny »

Might have to get rid of the fluffy dice :shock:
Attachments
dash2.JPG
dash2.JPG (247.34 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
Dash1.JPG
Dash1.JPG (211.31 KiB) Viewed 1030 times
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

nice one Finny 8)
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Trev
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Trev »

Good to hear it's getting used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
rosco

Post by rosco »

Hi Adrian,
very nice to discover that someone is still about on this forum - I haven't been on it for some time, but worse - I have done nothing to my old bus since returning from the Renmark nats.... nothing, other than to have the steering box reconditioned by Roger H.

I have concerns with how loose that nut might have been on your pitman arm.... did it really make such a difference to the tracking of your vehicle once you tightened it up.

I have purchased, and intend to fit a steering box bracket plate to mine... If the front end is tight, and the alignment correct - the only way I can see cause for my steering wandering is "lost movement"... meaning - something is able to move ever so little which creates a "margin" within the steering can wander.

Roger tells me my box is "better than new" - he had not seen a lower half in such good condition - the main shaft was shot, but the bottom end was perfect. It now has a brand new set of everything within including roller bearings instead of bushes on the pitman arm shaft.
I am simply too slack to refit it.... mainly because I need to do some painting around the area the box hides.... spray season window opening soon.

I intend to do up the front end, but what is holding me back from that is that I need to find two HR lower control arms (wishbones) - the ones I have are HD.. and are slightly shorter than the latter HR ones... so, if anyone has a pair of HR lower control arms laying around somewhere I'd be happy to discuss relieving you of them.

Hotwires.... the red walls of your "spokes" set yours off with your car, Adrian - they are not for me... I simply love Dragways - but don't "love" the outward reach of them .....

Your car was a pleasure to drive at HB - and a credit to the work you have progressed with it.

I am a disgrace with mine... it simply lives under wraps for now - about the only time I lift them is to use one of the many tools stored in the boot....

Thanks for keeping this thread alive... much appreciated.

frats,
Rosco
Finny

Post by Finny »

Thanks Guys.
I thought I had a lot of update photos but they are probably still in the old laptop that died. :(

Hey Rosco, I haven't been on the forum for a while, just seems like too many other things in life take priority, but I'm working on that.
Your concerns were founded, the nut had unwound off the pitman arm a fair bit. To loose all steering would have been very very bad. :thumbsdown:

When she went to HB I had a couple of places look at it Tyre/steering. So I don't know how the split pin came out. Or that they never noticed it missing ?
I asked you and a couple of other people to drive my wagon because I just wasn't happy with how it steered. The consensus was that it was OK and that's just how the old girls handle. But with a little side wind it could get very hard to keep on the road.
Anyhow now it seems to be holding the road really well, haven't had any of the old scary feelings. And just feels tighter. Very happy so far. :thumbsup:
I didn't know that you where also having steering wander issues, annoying isn't it.

Hotwires. The wheels haven't been painted, it's just that I painted the Discs and Rear drums red, so they show through the slots, and reflect off the shine on the mags. I had the dragways originally but couldn't stop the scraping on the guards, and didn't want to roll the guards. Plus the dragways had lower profile tyres, and I prefer the way the hotwires fill the space much better.

I'm sure you will get it done when you are ready. In the meantime, take the missus out for a drive somewhere, you'll feel better. :D :D
Attachments
wed2.JPG
wed2.JPG (74.29 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
wed3.JPG
wed3.JPG (138.42 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
wed1.JPG
wed1.JPG (41.07 KiB) Viewed 1003 times