Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

In the Shed
State: SA

Re: Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan

Post by In the Shed »

Love your work Scott and admire your have a go approach using equipment most of us have in the shed. You’re good at multi tasking too! :thumbsup:

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

A bit la de da - puddle lights and even gaps , very flash !!!!! 8) :lol:

Love the have a go attitude mate :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
funkyscooter
State: NSW

Post by funkyscooter »

Blacky wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:33 pm A bit la de da - puddle lights and even gaps , very flash !!!!! 8) :lol:
Ha! Not sure that will catch on but maybe its the next level up - Standard, Special, Ladeedah. :lol:

Had some time today so I jumped on SketchUp and modelled my puddle light. It's going to hold 5x5mm White LEDS as from the tests I have done that seems bright enough and stays low cost/DIY.
Printing one of the four attempts to get the size right with clips that will hold it in place. Should have just printed slightly too large and ground out the hole in the door - would have been quicker.
IMG_3774.jpeg
IMG_3774.jpeg (864.74 KiB) Viewed 216 times
Don't have any white LEDs at the moment so had to make do with RGB LEDs using just the green channel. Masking tape to stop the red and blue legs from shorting.
IMG_3777.jpeg
IMG_3777.jpeg (775.19 KiB) Viewed 216 times
Pretty gloomy in the shed today with the lights off so a good approximation for early evening. Phone did brighten things up and tried to make the green white.
IMG_3775.jpeg
IMG_3775.jpeg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 216 times
This is more what it was looking like to the naked eye. Ended up with a nice soft light, not too harsh which LEDs can sometimes look. Think this is going to work quite well once I get the white LEDS.
IMG_3776.jpeg
IMG_3776.jpeg (640.31 KiB) Viewed 216 times
Scott
(Not so rusty) Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan
Harv

Post by Harv »

Love the puddle lights.

Might need to think through how to make them watertight. FB/EK window seals are not very sealy, and the water collects in the bottom of the doors. There are drain slots in the bottom of the doors, and corresponding cutouts in the door rubbers to let the water drain. The bottom of the doors ends up moist and silty.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Good point Harv - was planning to lather them in hot glue and heat shrink. The car will not be spending much time in the elements, but will try to place any wiring away from the window drip zone with a drip loop close to the light in the wiring to discourage water from wicking into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scott
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

More puddle lights!
Printed final version with locking ring. Unfortunately when I designed the locking ring, it was arse about so its lefty tighty, righty loosey. NOT printing this again.
IMG_3834.jpeg
IMG_3834.jpeg (974.95 KiB) Viewed 135 times
Fitted - nice and flush
IMG_3835.jpeg
IMG_3835.jpeg (735.04 KiB) Viewed 135 times
I can just get my hand in there to lock the ring on.
IMG_3836.jpeg
IMG_3836.jpeg (820.56 KiB) Viewed 135 times
Adding white LED to each light. Note I have 4, so either 2 go on the shelf or I try and work out how to put them in the rear doors as well.
IMG_3843.jpeg
IMG_3843.jpeg (826.34 KiB) Viewed 135 times
Control for the lights - 1 for each front door - with this combo of transistor/resistor/capacitor I have 3 circuits fade off over 3 seconds. 1 Blue, 1 Green and 1 White.
IMG_3857.jpeg
IMG_3857.jpeg (1012.3 KiB) Viewed 135 times
Blue/Green == Teal light for ring light behind tweeters. Totally unnecessary but want a bit of bling in the doors as they are now power function. White light circuit will be for puddle and courtesy light (maybe)
IMG_3858.jpeg
IMG_3858.jpeg (862.32 KiB) Viewed 135 times
Puddle light test - nice and bright for a moonless night.
IMG_3861.jpeg
IMG_3861.jpeg (840.55 KiB) Viewed 135 times
Tweeter Light Test - A lot of effort and design to flush mount a tweeter in the door which is still not done. Need to bite the bullet and put the hole in the door and the brand new door cards. Figured as I went so far, I might as well add the bling.
IMG_3636.jpg
IMG_3636.jpg (753.47 KiB) Viewed 135 times
Scott
funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

To get all this electrical shenanigans into the door I need a bit of cable management. So out with the sockets for some more dimple die action.
IMG_3866.jpeg
IMG_3866.jpeg (856.69 KiB) Viewed 134 times
IMG_3867.jpeg
IMG_3867.jpeg (876.65 KiB) Viewed 134 times
Doesn't look it from this angle but the end going into the A pillar is flush. Not looking forward to fitting the door side. Will need to hang the door, mark and drill, cross all fingers and toes, and then make the holes oversize for a sloppy fit and further adjustment
IMG_3868.jpeg
IMG_3868.jpeg (871.48 KiB) Viewed 134 times
Test running some fishing line to see where I can get wires to go and the size of this caught my eye. Not really going to work as the front seat belt will be in the way.
IMG_3871.jpeg
IMG_3871.jpeg (821.24 KiB) Viewed 134 times
Scott
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Fancy pants 8) 8)
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Very clever indeed. Those jamb sheaths are trick aren’t they? I’ve seen them in a kit, but then Malcolm whatsit made his own.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie