Dave's Orange Betty EK Sedan

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Orange Betty
State: NSW

Dave's Orange Betty EK Sedan

Post by Orange Betty »

Just starting a new thread for my build to get around the title of the last one:
http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... 11&t=23058

and to mark a milestone.

So Orange Betty (OB) was blasted and is now primer grey but I didn't do much since September last year as I was building myself a rotisserie. Took a long time as I only get a few hours each day of the weekend but was good welding practice and successful. But despite mounting OB on the rotisserie and taking her for a twirl I've just got her level and taken the front rotisserie mount off. I had removed the left hand outer sill and cut out what was left of the bottom of the A-pillar but heeding the advice of forumites I decided I shouldn't 'fix' anything until I had the subframe and doors on and could check that everything aligned.

So I made up a dolly (ie?) for the subframe and test fitted which was ok, but before fixing the bottom of the A-pillar which is quite daunting, I thought I'd tackle an easier 'fix' for the first try and do the subframe and body mounting points. The one specifically:
LH subframe wall att.JPG
LH subframe wall att.JPG (145.72 KiB) Viewed 2028 times
And hence the milestone, OB's first bit of actual repair!

OB first fix.JPG
OB first fix.JPG (153.12 KiB) Viewed 2028 times
Had to chase quite a few holes I blew in the old metal which I suspect is a lesson in making sure I cut out to good metal to start with.

Dave
62 EK Sedan in slow progress
Brett027

Re: Dave's Orange Betty EK Sedan

Post by Brett027 »

Good on ya Dave. Looks like you are doing a neat job as well. Thanks for sharing progress.
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Looks like your on track Dave. Good place to start. All those sandwiched panels are a rust trap. One of the harder parts I found when I did this on my van was getting decent penetration at the top where the windscreen surround joins. Important this bit is nice and strong. Another hard bit was holes in the recessed bit.

Look forward to following progress.
Cheers
Clay

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

G'day Dave,

Good to see your into it. Plenty of help here with folk who know the ins & outs of these old cars. Will be watching with interest.

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Good stuff Dave, tackling an easier part first is a good way to both learn and gain confidence in your own abilities- and as my panelbeater father in law tells me - it's only metal , if you balls it up just cut it off and try again !
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
59wagon

Post by 59wagon »

Good work Dave and goodonya' for having a crack. As Blacky said, it's only metal :)

Looking forward to more updates and photos.

Cheers,

John
Orange Betty

Post by Orange Betty »

Slowly, slowly. Fixed this on both sides:
Fixed 1.JPG
Fixed 1.JPG (36.31 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
also fixed the subframe sides where they attach to the body i.e. these bits (wings?)
wing fixed.JPG
wing fixed.JPG (32.65 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
and put the subframe back on to get things aligned, at three points anyway:
subframe on.JPG
subframe on.JPG (40.55 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
So I can now work on the bottom of the A-pillar
A Pillar repair.JPG
A Pillar repair.JPG (40.05 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
Brett027 has used the Stark sections to fix Wilma and which look very neat http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... ks#p238622 but they are expensive.

I'm in no hurry and like the idea of fashioning a 'Frankenstein' fix so think I'll attempt similar to Leroy the EK ute here (page 2 I think) http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... 15#p227856

My rough plan is this:
LH subframe to inner sill.JPG
LH subframe to inner sill.JPG (33.15 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
actually extending the back of subframe attachment point across the cross member and onto the face of the inner sill. Then fashioning the outer sill attachment point as for Leroy the EK ute.
A pillar repair 1.JPG
A pillar repair 1.JPG (40 KiB) Viewed 1870 times
Appreciate any and all advice as to whether that sounds reasonable.

Cheers

Dave
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Good way to learn mate, not really a very visible spot so if its a bit wobbly who cares as long as its solid :thumbsup:

The Stark panels are good - but spendy :shock:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Good work. You’ll figure if out. Rare Spares has the bolts and they aren’t cheap around $40 the set. Stewart’s Old Timer build has some good detail on this and you could look at my EK Panel van build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EK van on rotisserie
Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Good to see you're back in the saddle Dave. I know you've had a good look at Clays EK waggon build and also the Old Timer build on the forum and they are both fantastic resources for us all. Sing out if you want me to come over and hold something etc. Wilma is becoming quite demanding recently, so it would be good to leave her for a bit and consort with Betty 😈
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Orange Betty

Post by Orange Betty »

Cheers guys. Looking at what others achieve in their builds gives me confidence to give things a go, and as Blacky points out it will be hidden so doesn't have to be too pretty.

Brett will send you a txt to arrange meeting with Betty.

Dave
Orange Betty

Post by Orange Betty »

Hi all, so a bit more progress. As per previous posts I thought I'd just do simple bend in some flat bar to be the inner sill extension and to bolt the outer sill through to the subframe. But as I was mocking it up it became apparent that the design of the standard inner sill extension allowed for somewhere to join all the other panel work to (yes I usually only figure this stuff out on the run...). So I thought I'd throw in a few bends here and there:
Templates.JPG
Templates.JPG (34.3 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
Didn't quite get it right the first time or second time or even the third time but the third was close enough for me to add on a few of the tighter bends as an afterthought, to mirror the bottom of the inner sill. And so have ended up with something almost like a bought one:
Final 2.JPG
Final 2.JPG (43.27 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
Have just screwed the front flange of the x member for now as it was too hard to get to and didn't mate nicely with my plug weld holes. Then bent up some 2mm flat bar to match the profile of the rare spares outer sill and my best guess at the A-pillar profile and hey presto, a semi-sound structural repair.
A pillar brace.JPG
A pillar brace.JPG (39.14 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
Enough to get back onto the rotisserie to tidy up, do the panel work and get to fitting the outer sill!

Dave
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

nice work mate, is extra satisfying when you fab up something yourself that works rather than just buying one out of a catalog. :thumbsup:

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Good progress Dave. I’m with blacky on the satisfaction factor. I use tek screws quite a lot to hold things in place, weld up, remove screws and replace with plug welds.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Nice work Dave, don't forget to put a crush piece in between the inner and outer mate.

Neil
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)