Red Rattler Revamp

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Errol62
State: SA

Re: Red Rattler Revamp

Post by Errol62 »

Gee that alternator looks nice.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

More fiddly stuff, yanked the blower off and cut all the studs to the correct length and made a couple of new ones , more bloody wiring , went and bought a new washer bottle and mounted it up and plumbed it in , put the good side plates and rocker cover on , mounted and wired the coil pack etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
melly

Post by melly »

Very neat and tidy Blacky- I'll be quizzing you on that wiring/ battery setup at some stage... did you get it up to Norham the other day?
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

melly wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:28 pm Very neat and tidy Blacky- I'll be quizzing you on that wiring/ battery setup at some stage... did you get it up to Northam the other day?
No mate I stayed at home and worked on this old slapper .......
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Haven’t done much lately, been away a lot - managed to get a few things done on Friday, still chipping away at the wiring- got the ignition and light switches back in -

Replaced the temperature gauge, the sender wouldn’t fit in the new head, the casting is slightly different and it was hitting it so had to lose the capillary type gauge and go with an electric type - deliberately bought a non matching one to continue the theme …….

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Then sorted out the wiper washer switch, super easy with the kit from Pete Mallaaby on bookface-

Before
After

Also finished off the relay panel wiring but forgot to take a pic

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I with you on the wiring. Hurry up! Tick, tick, tick.....

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Did a bit more wiring last night, had enough of that malarkey so tonight I played boilermonkey Image
Had to fab up a gearstick surround to seal the floor and brace the hole so off I went -
Decided to make a square frame for the top boot and then make an inner frame to support the rubber boot

Started by cutting the basic shape out - had to make it in 2 pieces because I am nearly out of steel

Then folded it for the top bit

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Then bent the thing into a square - well, a 3 sided square at least …. And glued it together.

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Gave it a bit of a linish to lose the spiders legs and bird poop and it came up alright

Then started on the underneath bit - marked a piece of sheet up , good thing I still have my high school tech drawing kit Image

Ended up turning that circle into a slightly more footy shaped hole so the boot fits inside the box , cut the thing out and that was as far as I got - took about an hour , only got out to the shed at 8:30 Image

Just need to fit some nutserts for the top boot, trim it to fit in the floor and it’s ready to weld in ImageImage

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Looking foreword to seeing this beast soon. You aren’t going to make me wait another year are you sir post-a-lot??

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

[quote=Errol62 post_id=265986 time=1681986443 user_id=
sir post-a-lot??

[/quote]

Pot.
Kettle.
Black.
😂😂

Yes, it hasn’t been touched since whenever the last post was - I have been working away a lot lately and haven’t had any time to work on it. I have this week off and am replacing the roof on our house, don’t want to suffer through another winter of leaking roof syndrome.

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Got a little bit more done today, half a day in the shed , made up an engine run panel so I can bolt a carb on it , fit a stock dizzy and do a first fire up to bed the cam in before putting the blower back on and doing battle with the electronics ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Pressed up a bit of tin, gave it a quick coat of jam and wired it up, not fancy but will do the job Image

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Bought oil, fan belt, radiator hoses , spark plugs etc - got home and the friggin’ plugs don’t fit - this head is a HR era head and the plugs are 14x1.25 thread - the ones I bought are imperial……. Parts shop closed earlier than usual today so that was that ImageImage
Hopefully fire it up this weekend ImageImageImage

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

You sure it isn’t a 173 202 head? Just the plug seats look square in that photo.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
EK van on rotisserie