Red Rattler Revamp

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Re: Red Rattler Revamp

Post by Blacky »

FbSTDwagon wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:45 pm
Only 20mins? I spend an hours thinking my way into a 10 minute fix. No wonder I don’t go anywhere but my shed 🤪
I normally just charge in without thinking much at all - then do it again after I realise I have cocked it up ......... :wtf:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Blacky have you checked the oil level in your supercharger or changed it yet????
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

FireKraka wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:35 am Blacky have you checked the oil level in your supercharger or changed it yet????
It had fresh oil in it when it was reconditioned, I did check the level before first fire up
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Got home tonight, did the edges, mowed the lawn , had dinner then thought I would quickly head out the shed and fit the dash - 5 minute job right????

Wrong …… ImageImageImageImageImage

First I spent 10 minutes looking for the new globes , found them and fit them . Went to put the globes in the dash and the high beam one won’t fit so upended the bin to find an old globe that works and will fit in the high beam hole. Then tested it and found that the left indicator flashes the right repeater and vice versa - which is an improvement of sorts on how it used to work when either left or right would flash the left repeater ImageImageImage

So being lazy I just cut and shut the harness- fixed Image

Put it all back together and went to fit the cluster and the bastard won’t go in because I shortened the column and it fouls on the friggin honey pot ImageImageImageImageImage
So I have 2 options seeing as you need the cluster out to mount the column clamp - either strip the honey pot off the column whenever the dash needs to come out or remanufacture the clamp so it bolts up from underneath……. FML.

Thought bugger it that’s a tomorrow job and threw the cluster in and thought I would get a pic with all the pretty lights - pulled the light switch out and the dash lights came on then turned the ignition on and now it trips the circuit breaker even though everything worked fine 10 minutes ago ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Bloody cars ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Bit of clearencing here and there with the grinder?Image🫣Image

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
60Special

Post by 60Special »

Haha, welcome to 12 volt electrics, much more interesting and unpredictable than that 240v stuff you’re used to.
Some of that barn dust on the dash might be interfering with it.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

60Special wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:36 am Haha, welcome to 12 volt electrics, much more interesting and unpredictable than that 240v stuff you’re used to.
Some of that barn dust on the dash might be interfering with it.
I have a sneaking suspicion that Mr Black is a big-wire sparky.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Harv wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:43 am

I have a sneaking suspicion that Mr Black is a big-wire sparky.

Cheers,
Harv
correct - nothing under 1000V or smaller diameter than your thumb for me please :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin:

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Had enough of wires - did a bit on replacing the lower control arms instead. Haven’t been happy with the ones on it as the lower ball joints were not a very tight fit in the control arm so sourced another pair and started again.
Had to cut the old sway bar mount off them plus move the steering stop as the steering arms foul both of these due to the front mounted rack.
Off with the stops and sway bar mounts, this is one of the old ones you can see the centre punch marks where I tried to get the ball joints to fit better

Then remove off the new ones and modify to sit further outboard
Then weld old one to new one and put a bit of round bar in there to strengthen it up

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

It’s longer then it needs to be, tomorrow night I will trim the bottom of them , cut the top to length and weld the stops and sway bar mounts on to the new lower control arms ready for powder coating

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Not much to report - lower arms are done and off to the powder coaters on Tuesday - it’s a long weekend over here - and I scored a new front seat, another BT-50 Mazda seat the same as the one in the ute Image now need a seatcover made for it and have to modify the mounts , will do the same thing as the ute setup so I don’t need to pull all the carpet out and chop the floor up again

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

OK , sorted the dash wiring drama - turns out it was an I.D.10 t fault - I had earthed the plate that had 12V to the oil, temp and generator lights so it all worked as it should until the dash was screwed to the body ImageImageImageImage

Dash is now in and everything is working as it should Image

Seat is also in Image

had noticed drivers top door hinge had a little bit of play on it -

So thought we would investigate- pulled the hinge out and found it was just the pin had jumped out of the bottom hole so belted it back in and put a dob of weld on it to stop a repeat

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Still waiting on lower wishbones to come back from the powdercoaters, finished off dash just waiting for one more red LED

One of the club guys came over on Sunday looking for bits from EKMart for a steering box, wandered up the back and found a column and it had a blanked off honey pot on it so I whipped it off while we were pulling the other bits off the other end and sanded it down and painted it

Forgot to get a pic of it done - just imagine it in satin black Image

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Next job of the night was make a bracket to mount my new fully sik air cleaner - the tuner wasn’t happy with the engine pulling its air from under the bonnet so going to mount this in line and have an air intake behind the grille - of course it’s going to clash with the radiator overflow tank for real estate so need to figure that out.

Made a plan , drilled some holes in a piece of SHS , went to fire the grinder up and realised it was 9:30 so canned that job and wired up the rear speakers instead then called it a night

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Tonight’s progress - finished off and painted the bracket for the air cleaner

Fitted the shiny new honey pot
Dash is pretty much 100% done now - even wiped the barn dust off it and polished the chrome on the ashtray lid :D Image

Got the wishbones back today so pressed the ball joints in and fitted the bump stops - that will do for tonight, time for a Jacks