My new Fb

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

59wagon
State: WA

My new Fb

Post by 59wagon »

One of the jobs on my page long list to get her ready for licensing was the RH low beam wasn’t working
Looks like someone’s decided this’d be a good spot to set up camp.
Need to replace this fella.
This little bit broke in two when I removed the lamp - do I need to replace it or is it ok without? Looks like an insulator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mph

Re: My new Fb

Post by mph »

nice one mate,
That was the colour combo of mine befpre it went to colleen green
There must be something with that colour combo and minimal rust by the looks of things :thumbsup:
FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.
59wagon

Post by 59wagon »

Your car looks neat.
Rust wise, the usual things like inner/outer sills, rear door doglegs & front fenders look pretty good but hard to tell unless you start removing paint which I don't want to do. The previous owner has replaced all four floor pans and made repairs to the k-frame and a couple of patches here and there. So, structurally, I think she's fine. There's lots of "patina" which I'm happy to keep, but my main concern is the rust in areas where the shiny trim bits meet the shell and what's under the trim - some pic's below. So my focus now is to get her roadworthy & licensed, then I can tackle those possible problem areas bit by bit whilst still being able to drive her.
IMG_0404.jpg
IMG_0404.jpg (458.59 KiB) Viewed 668 times
IMG_0403.jpg
IMG_0403.jpg (249.09 KiB) Viewed 668 times
IMG_0402.jpg
IMG_0402.jpg (320.99 KiB) Viewed 668 times
IMG_0401.jpg
IMG_0401.jpg (269.82 KiB) Viewed 668 times
IMG_0406.jpg
IMG_0406.jpg (455 KiB) Viewed 668 times
IMG_0400.jpg
IMG_0400.jpg (271.46 KiB) Viewed 668 times
IMG_0421.jpg
IMG_0421.jpg (387.84 KiB) Viewed 668 times
Cheers,
John
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Hey John,
Doesn't look like anything too serious there, just a car that has been used here and there with the usual marks. If the car is looked after and kept under cover, it is likely none of those areas will deteriorate / progress too far.

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

bloody nice John. Looks to be in fair to reasonable condition
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
59wagon

Post by 59wagon »

Started tackling my rear indicator lenses this morning. Started with this:
ImageImage
After a clean with warm soapy water and a toothbrush:
ImageImage
Then 3 light coats on the outside with some paint I had mixed up at the paint shop:
Ended up with this:

FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Cool mate looks good is it especially for plastic?
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
59wagon

Post by 59wagon »

Hi Neil,

I got put onto "Automotive Paint Tools & Equipment" in East Cannington and told them what I was after. He mixed it up & shoved it in the can while I waited (actually, I was drooling while I walked around the huge shop - they've got everything you can imagine that relates to the shop name). He said there's enough in the can to do a few sets of lenses, so you're welcome to use some if you need.

Cheers,

John
59wagon

My new Fb

Post by 59wagon »

Another job last night. The brake lights weren't working and also noticed there was over an inch of freeplay in the brake pedal. I got under the dash and disconnected one of the brake switch wires, copping a load of brown, southwest, country road dust in both eyes. I cleaned the terminals and did the other one. Being very clever, I shut my eyes this time Image
The lights worked now, but not until the brake pedal was pressed a fair way, so I thought I'd adjust the freeplay first. I adjusted until I got somewhere between almost no freeplay and 1/4". As per normal, I read the repair manual AFTER I'd adjusted and found it should be 1/8" - close enough. There's almost no adjustment left now - is that normal?

Now there wasn't enough adjustment in the brake switch to make it contact when it should. I thought about bending the bracket, then decided instead to modify the switch with the bench grinder - probably removed about 3/8" all up.
ImageImage

I adjusted until the switch activates just after the freeplay takes up.

May be an original switch - Delco Remy written on it.

Now brakes and brake lights are all good. The previous owner told me he'd replaced or had serviced the brake components about 18 months ago, including cylinders, flexible lines and all but two hard lines. They seem fine whilst driving.
Attachments
IMG_0442.jpg
IMG_0442.jpg (377.12 KiB) Viewed 606 times
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Sounds like you are missing the bump stop rubber up top next to the steering column. Pity to grind the switch down really not necessary. The rubber is prolly 12-18mm depending on condition and will take out much free play.
Cheers
Clay

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
59wagon

Post by 59wagon »

Errol62 wrote:Sounds like you are missing the bump stop rubber up top next to the steering column. Pity to grind the switch down really not necessary. The rubber is prolly 12-18mm depending on condition and will take out much free play.
Cheers
Clay

Bugger. I knew I should have asked first - lesson learnt. Just went and had a look - didn’t notice it before. You mean this little doovy.
Obviously still there but a little worn. I’ll check the usual sources to see if there are replacements available. Making something up shouldn’t be too hard.

In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Hi Folks
I have used this in the past to either do the lense and/or the globe and works quite well. You would get a streak free finish with the spray can though. :thumbsup:

Regards
Stephen
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

In the Shed wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:01 pm Hi Folks
I have used this in the past to either do the lense and/or the globe and works quite well. You would get a streak free finish with the spray can though. :thumbsup:

Regards
Stephen
Hmmm a picture might help.... :oops:
Attachments
7CFD8E74-794A-4F7A-8C5E-F0E6F2806AF0.jpeg
7CFD8E74-794A-4F7A-8C5E-F0E6F2806AF0.jpeg (977.52 KiB) Viewed 597 times
59wagon

Post by 59wagon »

Hi Stephen, yeh I looked at getting that product when Clay (Errol62) mentioned about painting lenses, but I couldn't find it over here in WA even though it was advertised locally. They said it'd take 1 or 2 weeks to get here and it might cost $20-30 just in freight as it was a special order. This can cost $25 and I'm pretty happy with it. Got a little run even though I did 3 very quick light coats - maybe I used too much overlap. I'll give it a few days to dry and try sanding and recoating.

Cheers,

John
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

59wagon wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:33 pm Hi Stephen, yeh I looked at getting that product when Clay (Errol62) mentioned about painting lenses, but I couldn't find it over here in WA even though it was advertised locally. They said it'd take 1 or 2 weeks to get here and it might cost $20-30 just in freight as it was a special order. This can cost $25 and I'm pretty happy with it. Got a little run even though I did 3 very quick light coats - maybe I used too much overlap. I'll give it a few days to dry and try sanding and recoating.

Cheers,

John
Wow, sounds like you go a better deal then! Might want to be careful sanding the lenses as you may end up scratching them. If people travelling behind you can see a paint run they are following way tooooo close :shock: