The loooonnng term EK 2 door project

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

EK283
State: NSW

Re: The loooonnng term EK 2 door project

Post by EK283 »

No mate, Rome was not built in a day !

I bet you've had the thought of selling it a few times in the storage period.

Lucky for you its still yours.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

EK283 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:14 pm No mate, Rome was not built in a day !

I bet you've had the thought of selling it a few times in the storage period.

Lucky for you its still yours.

Greg
Lucky for me I have a good wife - I was going to sell it to a young bloke over here about 15 years ago but the Mrs wouldn't let me :thumbsup: :lol: :lol: :lol:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Another step closer - rear guard lip done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Nice job Mr B

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Things are starting to get serious now - this is a rendering of where we want to be at the end of it - Image

And this is the first part of that process

You can see the difference in the angle of the top of the rear side window which is the part I am not happy with , looks like about 40mm will be coming out of the A and B pillars to make it all work

Brett027

Post by Brett027 »

Is changing your rear opening curve piece to match up with the existing b pillar and gutter line an option Blacky? The roof/ gutter line is already in place so why not match to those lines like your drawing seems to? Body mods are not my thing so happy to be shot to pieces😀
Sucker for a rusty bomb
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Brett027 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:47 pm Is changing your rear opening curve piece to match up with the existing b pillar and gutter line an option Blacky? The roof/ gutter line is already in place so why not match to those lines like your drawing seems to? 😀
In my eyes the roofline is too high to suit the lines of a 2 door variant - and I don't like how the side window rises all the way to where it meets the B pillar so this will fix both of those issues - albeit with a lot of work ........

The rear screen is staying at stock height and the front will be around 40mm lower - I plan to sand one down as per Trevs method when he built the chopped wagon, but our MO is to sand the window down then bring the roof down to meet it rather than finish the metalwork then try and make the glass fit in the hole :esmile:

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

No progress on the rattler so far this week- have been crook Image however today I was in good enough nick to be the offsider to me mate John who is the metal magician who has done most of the work on the 2 door. Today it was copping a short back and sides Image

Started with this - he had already chopped off the tops of the door frames and marked out the cuts
And braced the body -

I had a crappy donor roof that we used to work out the best method, he wanted to unpick these sections as the roof is going to need to be made wider as it comes down, by about 13mm as it turned out

The joins will be reinforced with SHS as well , similar to how i did the B pillars all those years ago …..ImageImage

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Once a plan was made we remarked the A pillar as we decided it would be preferable to cut them lower where there is no taper in them and fired up a grinder each

No turning back now …..

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Chop chop

And it’s off

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

We staggered the joins ready to rejoin them

Mocked up

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

The idea is to remove the roof skin and sort the framing out then recontour the skin by planishing out the crown in the roof to give a flatter roofline - which in turn will mean it’s wide enough to allow for the increased width of the roof

If you move the roof back it lines up nicely with the rear screen so going to check out a donor roof on Saturday for a donor front section - also making an acrylic windscreen to plan how to cut it down to fit in the hole

Photoshopped combo of the pics we took today

funkyscooter

Post by funkyscooter »

Nice one - love the look. Look forward to more pictures and insights as to how this is done. Always wondered how to make up the extra width and length in the roof with a chop. Sure there are a number of ways to skin this cat.
Scott
(Not so rusty) Ol' Rusty - FB/EK Sedan
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

There is a lot going on there.

I’ve got a fairly good roof here. It has a bit of rust here and there in the frame. I’m about ready to take it to the tip. Happy to cut out the bit you need and bring over.

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Errol62 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:45 am There is a lot going on there.

I’ve got a fairly good roof here. It has a bit of rust here and there in the frame. I’m about ready to take it to the tip. Happy to cut out the bit you need and bring over.
Thanks for the offer Clay, I will see how I go with the one here but I may hold you to that :thumbsup: would need the front 12 inches or so