Harv's (Grace's) EK ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Errol62
State: SA

Re: Harv's (Grace's) EK ute

Post by Errol62 »

a) Standards and commercials have this feature in common. Firstly economy obviously. As to why the passenger side well I couldn't decide whether it was because they thought kerbside was more useful with bench seats or safer or was it chivalry.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Mick
State: NSW

Post by Mick »

it's strange because if you use the safety logic you must wonder why they didn't give a f#%k about the safety of special sedan and wagon owners :problem: :think:
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Harv

Post by Harv »

SunnyTim wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 10:03 pm Harv I know the ute from somewhere. The DDVVMC is a pass to get into Toowoomba Swap but dates from the 90s...
Tim
Any history on the vehicle is greatly appreciated. Dave Mac is pulling together some emails for me that may show more of the puzzle.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
vmx-mxr

Post by vmx-mxr »

I was really happy to see Harv get that ute, and good to see it will be a father daughter project too :vecctor:
It had sat around for too long and with it gone I can now get started on the FB ute - Gotta love a Colleen Green ute !
Like Harv said I got a bit of history on the ute - It was bought by a farmer, a Mr Haidley, who had never owned a motor vehicle until when he bought the Silverton Grey ute in January 1962 !
Elfid690

Post by Elfid690 »

Great to see another ute getting the treatment. I got a daughter Grace too.....she'd love it if dad bought her a ute.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Sometimes you win, and other times you don’t.

Got stuck in a fortnight ago, and bought the new rubbers to overhaul the brake wheel cylinders and clutch slave. Figured I’d start with the clutch slave as it is mechanically simpler, and easier for the kids to understand. Prised the kids out of the house with a crowbar, and had both Grace and Number 1 Son overhaul the clutch slave. Other than my hone crapping itself, it was a good outing.

Got stuck in again last weekend, and figured we’d do the front wheel cylinders. Grace had the car jacked up and wheel off pretty quick, then we started pulling the brakes down. Stupid me was too busy concentrating on explaining, and didn’t pay attention. Had the two bolts out of the back of the wheel cylinder before I remembered to let the brake return spring loose. No problem…. until I slipped, and the spring went SPROING!. Normally the spring would do no harm, but of course I had the wheel cylinder loose and half-cocked in the backing plate. The spring grabbed the bolt hole (what are the chances?) and tore the casting hole “ear” off the wheel cylinder casting.

Grace learnt at least one new swear word :evil: .

Looks like its new wheel cylinders for the front instead of simple rubbers and a hone.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Mick

Post by Mick »

:thumbsup:

gotta keep learning, Me didn't bother to look just bought a water pump figured would be early small bolt pattern, AFTER i fitted it :roll: realised was larger bolt pattern :oops: figured car has been sitting atleast 2 years clutch cylinder would be shot so just bought another without looking ............ WRONG again :oops:
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Harv

Post by Harv »

Got one step further with Number One Daughter’s ute. Took it over to Camden County Customs last week, where TJ put two new floor pans in for me.

He also replaced the trailing lower corner of the passenger’s guard. It had had an interesting historic repair… an initial rust hole had been repaired by welding over a 6”x6” steel plate, then feathering in the edges with bog :wtf: . The tinworm continued to eat the old guard, and then the repair plate. TJ cut out the old plate, and rebuilt with (one layer!) of new steel.

Had TJ run his eyes over it, apparently also assisted by a visiting rod club, and can’t find any more rust in the vehicle. Happy days!
Other than a car trailer brake deciding to lock on at freeway speed (don’t ask :oops: ), all went well.

Would recommend TJ to anyone looking for rust repairs in Sydney:
Camden County Customs
Hartley Road Smeaton Grange
(02) 46483232

Next step is to line the ute up for paint and panel. Should be a basic acrylic spray (nothing fancy) in the original Silverton grey.

Anyone got a recommendation for a good panelbeater in Sydney?

Cheers,
Harv
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Hi Harv,
Good stuff, but we need a pic to remind us of what you have since photo bucket has dropped all the original pics :thumbsdown:

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Yeah cmon Harv. Piccies

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

Apologies for the lack of photos... the computer and I are not talking to each other at the moment :oops: .

Repaired the car trailer (try getting new brake hoses made up during a long weekend :roll: ), and dragged it over to the panelbeater. I'm using Hawkesbury City Smash out at Mulgrave. They do some nice work (mix of restorations and smash repairs), and were quite good about discussing the various levels of work I could go to. Had to stop Number 1 Daughter from drooling over Rob's black FX, which was in for repair (luckily didn't have to convince her that we are not painting the ute black... she is happy with the original grey/silver colour).

Looking like a full paint strip on the outside, probably just a scuff-up on the inside, take out the dings and then paint. Keep the driveline in place, leave the engine bay alone. Panels will still have some minor rippling, but thats OK by me (it will be a neat car, but no showpony).

Dragged the ute back home again, will do a strip down next weekend before dropping it back off to Mulgrave. Aiming to pick it up in early February.

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

The boys at Hawkesbury City Smash have been busy - ute is now in highfill. They had to fix a little rust around the tailgate hinges, but otherwise rust-free.

Bring on the Silverton Grey!

Cheers,
Harv
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

cool - pics ????
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Blacky wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:40 pmcool - pics ????
Ute photo 1.JPG
Ute photo 1.JPG (79.7 KiB) Viewed 925 times
Ute photo 2.JPG
Ute photo 2.JPG (79.01 KiB) Viewed 925 times
Ute photo 3.JPG
Ute photo 3.JPG (81.32 KiB) Viewed 925 times
Ute photo 4.JPG
Ute photo 4.JPG (83.17 KiB) Viewed 925 times
Cheers,
Harv
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Glad you and the ‘puter are back on speaking terms. Lucky girl and impressive progress. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EK van on rotisserie