Harv's (Grace's) EK ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Re: Harv's (Grace's) EK ute

Post by Blacky »

couldn't you use a 5mm nutsert and just screw the 5mm lift a dot clips from the webpage link into them ? Looks like a simple fix to me .....
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Now that's good thinking!

... been looking for an excuse to buy a nutsert gun :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

That's a great idea blacky I think I will steal that one too :vecctor:

Neil
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

you can get a kit with a good assortment of sizes on Epay for cheap ....

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/86Pcs-Threa ... SwxvBZpn1Q
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Yes. Having seen what Neil I think had done with the nut serts I was thinking the same thing. Damn, I’ve got to buy one of those kits now just because.

Grace’s Ute is coming along just fine Harv. What a good family man you are doing all that hard work just for her.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

loving all this nutsert talk - my bro bought me a kit for Xmas and I used it already, replacing rusted out captive nuts that locate the stone tray/chin panel along the fr by of the subframe on my Ute. They’re a neat bit of kit :)

In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Nice work Harv,
I'd be interested to see a pic of how those thingoes fit on the tailgate rods too. Mine forever seem to be in the wrong place and I need good coordination to keep them out the way when you close the tailgate without jamming your fingers.

Any chance of getting some updated pics?

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Harv

Post by Harv »

Got some Dynamat on the ceiling, and got the new hoodlining in. Not perfect, but hoping a few days in the sun will let it settle. Remembered to put the top sash guide reinforcing plates into the B-pillar for the seatbelts... almost forgot and put the hoodlining in first :oops: .

Have had some blisters come up on the drivers guard peak, about midway along the guard :( . Suspect it may be humidity blisters. Have sent some photos to the panelshop, will see how they go.
Optimized-Closeup of blisters.JPG
Optimized-Closeup of blisters.JPG (530.8 KiB) Viewed 474 times
Some fiddly photos below for interest (I reckon that petrol cap looks cooler than penguin pee):
Optimized-IMG_0117.JPG
Optimized-IMG_0117.JPG (577.89 KiB) Viewed 474 times
Optimized-IMG_0118.JPG
Optimized-IMG_0118.JPG (862.66 KiB) Viewed 474 times
Optimized-IMG_0116.JPG
Optimized-IMG_0116.JPG (435.33 KiB) Viewed 474 times

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I would have thought humidity would be even across the surface like little pimples. That looks like the surface had some compound residue on it. They should fix it in any case one would think.

The petrol cap shot is art. Not to mention the bow legged selfie. Are you able to access the spare with the tow ball on?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

Errol62 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:02 pm I would have thought humidity would be even across the surface like little pimples. That looks like the surface had some compound residue on it. They should fix it in any case one would think.

The petrol cap shot is art. Not to mention the bow legged selfie. Are you able to access the spare with the tow ball on?
Not sure about the paint... I don't know enough about painting. The conversation I have had with the panelshop so far has been pretty good.

Love the smooth, curved lines on the utes around the turret, rear quarters and petrol cap. Even in simple grey they look good. My bow legs on the other hand are not so easy to look at :lol: .

The towbar is giving me grief. The two small horizontal brackets that bolt through the subframe under the tailgate stick out just enough that they foul the sparewheel door. Not sure there is enough meat in the brackets to trim them... they may have to be cut off, and new brackets welded to the towbar. The towbar tongue has to come off to open the sparewheel door fully too. This is painful - have to carry a spanner in the cabin to get the tongue off to access the rest of the tools in the sparewheel compartment. I'm thinking about getting the brother-in-law to replace the tongue with a hayman-reese type square hitch, secured with a pin. Not sure I like the idea of a square hitch on an old car though.

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

I bought some badge clips (small metal tubes) some time back to put the bonnet badges on the wagon and ute. Sadly, they are too big to use... gotta have another talk to Rares and see if they have the right size ones.

Thought about putting these on instead of HOLDEN though :mrgreen: :
Optimized-Hoonen.JPG
Optimized-Hoonen.JPG (1.14 MiB) Viewed 465 times

Cheers,
Harv
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

That’s funny I’ve been thinking of doing that with the bonnet script just the other night.

With the spare door I’m in a quandary also. I think the removable rhs hitch is the way but agree about the looks. Modifying a tow bar could have liability implications of course. Impractical as the spare wheel doors are I don’t think I could bring myself to delete it. If you mod the fuel tank it’s a different story. I’ve seen this done where commodore bar and tank were used on an FB EK wagon.

There has also been a nasco swing away towbar on gumtree not that dear I think. That would solve the problem but would you trust it towing the wagon?

EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Here's my bootlid on the red rattler - Image

EK283

Post by EK283 »

I always wanted to put HOLDON badging on my ek !

Paint looks like trapped solvent and is common in 2 pack if that's what it is, it can happen when there is not enough dry time between coats or to thick a coat. The chemical reaction seals the top before the solvents can evaporate. Very technical this style of painting !!

Regards Greg
So many cars so little time!
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Hey Harv,

Looking very tidy indeed. Let's hope it is just that small section of paint on the guard that requires atttention. Was surprised to see the tonneau cover clips mounted so far down from the edge. Unfortunately on my ute someone mounted them too far toward the top :thumbsdown:

Look forward to seeing some more pics.

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!