Leroy the EK Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

FireKraka
State: WA

Re: Leroy the EK Ute

Post by FireKraka »

Looking good J slowly but surely mate.
It is really important that you have side movement of your bigends when they are done up and you don't want the crankshaft hard up against the thrust bearing all the time it will find its position when it runs but again you should be able to bump the crank back and forwards even only slightly.
These things are true doesn't matter if it is an holden grey or a 5 story high 1 meter bore 2 stoke like I work on.
Love your work.
Regards
Neil
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
thebrotherj
State: NSW

Post by thebrotherj »

FireKraka wrote:Looking good J slowly but surely mate.
It is really important that you have side movement of your bigends when they are done up and you don't want the crankshaft hard up against the thrust bearing all the time it will find its position when it runs but again you should be able to bump the crank back and forwards even only slightly.
These things are true doesn't matter if it is an holden grey or a 5 story high 1 meter bore 2 stoke like I work on.
Love your work.
Regards
Neil
Oh wow! Are we talking container ship engines here, or....? I guess you measure end float with a steel ruler not feeler gauges!

Yeah I’m moving super slow on this build, no rush fortunately :) I’m pleased to report the crank now has 0.004” end float which is almost bang on spec. Bloody relieved!

Thanks for following mate :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

Yeh large ship and power station stuff mate we use porta-powers to jack the crank forward and aft and dial indicator. :vecctor:
You would be surprised the clearances aren't as big as you would think.

Your engines going to be nice and fresh and hopefully you won't have to touch it again for a long time.

Regards
Neil
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Very capable job there joe.
Cheers
Clay

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Good stuff Joe,
Appreciate seeing some in depth pictures of the old grey motor as I have never delved that deep into one.

Makes you wonder if the folks building the motor in the factory originally were ever that fussy? Maybe after they built the first 50 they were doing it with their eyes closed. The other point to consider is that they had received plenty of practice by the time they got to the FB model.

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Errol62 wrote:Very capable job there joe. Image
Cheers
Clay

Thanks mate!!

thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

In the Shed wrote:Good stuff Joe,
Appreciate seeing some in depth pictures of the old grey motor as I have never delved that deep into one.

Makes you wonder if the folks building the motor in the factory originally were ever that fussy? Maybe after they built the first 50 they were doing it with their eyes closed. The other point to consider is that they had received plenty of practice by the time they got to the FB model.

Regards
Stephen
Greys are new territory for me too. It has been a bit of an eye opener. I understand more comprehensively why the red was so welcomed in ‘63... mind you I’m oddly attached to this thing now.
I’m being very particular as I’m mixing and matching new with old. I also have no doubt these were whacked together in no time using special tools & jigs on the production line. Wouldn’t that be nice.

thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

The Grey is alive!
Last of it went back together yesterday ready for a test run this morning, sitting up on some engine stands I modified to pick up the engine mounting points.

The bigger 220mm clutch doesn’t hit the bellhousing. I also spent some time swapping the early and late type clutch forks I had at my disposal: I wound up running the early cast iron type as it sat closer to the back of the slot in the housing when fully disengaged, and appears to reach full throw before bottoming out on the other end of the slot when depressed. I’m hopeful it is going to work out well, I might remove the slave from the car and bench test it before installing to be sure.

Pity we can’t post videos on here, but then you can imagine what it sounds like without an engine pipe connected; a houseboat.

I’ve just whacked on the inlet & exhaust manifolds from my spare motor, as Leroy’s extractors are welded to the exhaust system.

Filled it with SAE30 mineral oil & used a test light from oil pressure switch to battery positive (which duly went out when I spun up the oil pump with a drill. Very happy.

Setting up points, leads and timing was a breeze EXCEPT that the locating tab in the rotor button was sheared, so I spent way too long trying to determine why it was popping and backfiring like it was a tooth out. Finally swapped over the rotor from the spare motor and the damn thing fired right up. Very impressed with the Lithuanian-built (!!) fuel pump which picked up fuel very quick, despite the slow cranking starter which is battling new rings and bearings.

After two seperate runs with a garden hose up the water pump for a total of about ten minutes running, it’s definitely tight but very responsive on the throttle. Valve cover is leaking (more peening required) but haven’t seen a single drop from the rear main yet. Fingers still crossed for that one.

Now to dismantle and paint it all up ready to drop it back in.

ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Joe,

Bloody brilliant!

Regarding the houseboat thing - if the heat control valve in the exhaust manifold still moves, I find the exhaust noise is almost bearable if you put the heat control valve in the "cold" position (cw. as seen from the front). And the more you advance the timing, the quieter the exhaust at idle.

You seem to have a lot of stud sticking up above the rocker cover nuts - are the studs screwed all the way down into the head?

And I spy a curious mix of grey and red motor manifold fastening hardware . . .

It might be an idea to put the rocker cover in the vice and squeeze the sides inwards until the sealing faces don't bow out any more.

Rob
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Nice one Joe,
Must have pleasing to get it running. What's the deal on the fuel pump? Where do you get them from and what's the damage to the back pocket? It must be a good pump if it can pump fuel as well as iced coffee! :lol:

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Joy! If only the greys had a seven bearing crank and they made larger bore versions and you could get the heads breathing and the crash box, diff centres and axles were up to the extra urge. If only.

Thanks for sharing Joe. Great read. One day I’d like to own a stockie again. Actually anything that drives would be nice. Not long now for you at this rate. WA here you come?! Pick me up on the way through Port Augusta.
Cheers
Clay

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

ardiesse wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:58 pm Joe,

Bloody brilliant!

Regarding the houseboat thing - if the heat control valve in the exhaust manifold still moves, I find the exhaust noise is almost bearable if you put the heat control valve in the "cold" position (cw. as seen from the front). And the more you advance the timing, the quieter the exhaust at idle.

You seem to have a lot of stud sticking up above the rocker cover nuts - are the studs screwed all the way down into the head?

And I spy a curious mix of grey and red motor manifold fastening hardware . . .

It might be an idea to put the rocker cover in the vice and squeeze the sides inwards until the sealing faces don't bow out any more.

Rob
I saw that heat valve coil but didn't give it a second thought. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I wound in too much advance to get it running/idling sweetly. Now it has the mild cam in it, idle was smoother but the whole thing seems rich on first impression. Spark seemed healthy at both points and spark plug when I was setting up timing.
Both carbs I have are 1 and 1/32" Stromies, I suspect a bigger jet is in Leroy to go with the lumpy cam it was running (I didn't even look when I kitted the carb). Hoping I find a 51 or 52 jet in the spare carb, will swap that in right away if that's the case, work from that as a baseline.

Yes, I was wondering about that rocker cover stud situation! They're definitely tensioned down, I will compare to the spare motor and swap over if needed. There was a no-name alloy rocker cover in the tray when I got Leroy, betting this is left over from that arrangement. Hell it might even make a re-appearance if it seals better than the current one.

Oh and yes, that small square manifold spreader is from my nuts & bolts bucket. The extractors aren't a good fit so I'll just be running whatever works best...
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

In the Shed wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:20 pm Nice one Joe,
Must have pleasing to get it running. What's the deal on the fuel pump? Where do you get them from and what's the damage to the back pocket? It must be a good pump if it can pump fuel as well as iced coffee! :lol:

Regards
Stephen
quietly I'm very bloody happy it's alive!! Can't help my natural pessimism though, still worried this block hasn't got a lot of meat around the other 5 bores... I also won't believe the rear main is sealing until I've clocked up some miles on it. Just as long as it doesn't drip constantly I'll be happy to be honest!

The pump I bought is here but it has gone up about $10 in price since I purchased it:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-6-Cyl ... 2749.l2649

I remember buying Goss units in the 90s for less than $50... what the hell! Anyway, I tried kitting the least chalked-up pump of the 3 in my stash and it leaked out the breather hole no matter what I did and sure didn't pump like this thing does! I'm hoping it lasts.

Cheers, J
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Errol62 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:23 pm Joy! If only the greys had a seven bearing crank and they made larger bore versions and you could get the heads breathing and the crash box, diff centres and axles were up to the extra urge. If only.

Thanks for sharing Joe. Great read. One day I’d like to own a stockie again. Actually anything that drives would be nice. Not long now for you at this rate. WA here you come?! Pick me up on the way through Port Augusta.
Cheers
Clay
If only indeed. I think my youth was better served by the less fragile HK-onward era cars that I lead footed about the 'burbs to (mostly) great effect... whereas my more recent developed interest in leisurely motoring round town combined with a similarly new-found capacity for restraint will keep this set up trundling along ok for a while. I hope. ;)

Thanks for the vote of confidence... if it runs that well, I'll pick you up for sure! Haha
Harv

Post by Harv »

thebrotherj wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:16 pmBoth carbs I have are 1 and 1/32" Stromies, I suspect a bigger jet is in Leroy to go with the lumpy cam it was running (I didn't even look when I kitted the carb). Hoping I find a 51 or 52 jet in the spare carb, will swap that in right away if that's the case, work from that as a baseline.
If you need a specific jet, give me a yell. I have one or two lying around :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.