Leroy the EK Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

thebrotherj
State: NSW

Re: Leroy the EK Ute

Post by thebrotherj »

Harv wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:43 pm
thebrotherj wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:16 pmBoth carbs I have are 1 and 1/32" Stromies, I suspect a bigger jet is in Leroy to go with the lumpy cam it was running (I didn't even look when I kitted the carb). Hoping I find a 51 or 52 jet in the spare carb, will swap that in right away if that's the case, work from that as a baseline.
If you need a specific jet, give me a yell. I have one or two lying around :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Harv
Haha! Yep, your name came up when I dropped around to Rob's in the HK last week... he was rattling off jet-to-carb sizes from memory, which I duly noted down. Thanks mate, I'll be in touch :wink:
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

By the way:: anyone out there have a Red Motor 6 lower alternator bracket in their parts stash that they might be able to part with cheaply?
I swore I had one but can’t find it, seeking one to adapt a late style alternator to my Grey.

Thanks in advance!
Joe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

thebrotherj wrote:By the way:: anyone out there have a Red Motor 6 lower alternator bracket in their parts stash that they might be able to part with cheaply?
You can all stop riffling through your parts bins, I got my hands on one Image Image

Sorted out some more driveline details overnight and gave it a lick of paint. Not the factory colour but oh well:

More from me after the weekend.

FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

Hi J
Nice work mate really looks great bet you can't wait to get it back in the car.

Hows the hand coming along.
Neil
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

FireKraka wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:13 am Hi J
Nice work mate really looks great bet you can't wait to get it back in the car.

Hows the hand coming along.
Neil
Cheers Neil. Gonna clean and heat-paint the extractors tonight, maybe paint the drag link too, off to rehearsals tomorrow night, booked my bro to come over Saturday morning to help guide the motor back in - extractors make it a two man job. Yeah the finger is healing as well as it can I suppose... I'm too impatient to let it stop me anyway
:)
Mick

Post by Mick »

i can't wait for the weather to cool down and i've recovered from lifting the suspension and then dropping it back down to get it registered then i'm going start pulling things apart and start cleaning and painting this post is inspiration 8) :thumbsup:
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

thebrotherj wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:32 pm
In the Shed wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:20 pm Nice one Joe,
Must have pleasing to get it running. What's the deal on the fuel pump? Where do you get them from and what's the damage to the back pocket? It must be a good pump if it can pump fuel as well as iced coffee! :lol:

Regards
Stephen
quietly I'm very bloody happy it's alive!! Can't help my natural pessimism though, still worried this block hasn't got a lot of meat around the other 5 bores... I also won't believe the rear main is sealing until I've clocked up some miles on it. Just as long as it doesn't drip constantly I'll be happy to be honest!

The pump I bought is here but it has gone up about $10 in price since I purchased it:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-6-Cyl ... 2749.l2649

I remember buying Goss units in the 90s for less than $50... what the hell! Anyway, I tried kitting the least chalked-up pump of the 3 in my stash and it leaked out the breather hole no matter what I did and sure didn't pump like this thing does! I'm hoping it lasts.

Cheers, J
Thanks Joe,
That pump is still pretty good value. Keep up the good work.
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Mick wrote:i can't wait for the weather to cool down and i've recovered from lifting the suspension and then dropping it back down to get it registered then i'm going start pulling things apart and start cleaning and painting this post is inspiration 8) :thumbsup:
Glad to be of service Michael Image

Here’s a couple more from the weekend to motivate ya:

I got it up and running without any dramas, clutch operation and slave adjustment is PERFECT, rear main is not leaking (yet...)
Manoeuvred him out for cam shaft break-in and check over - seems good! No overheating, no noises, kept engine revs varying between about 1500-2500 for 20 mins and nothing went awry. The timing gears are silent in nuetral but when loading up the motor as you release the clutch, you can hear a little whine. Sounds kind of cool actually Image

However I can’t take it out for the big engine bed-in/shakedown drive yet because
1) generator ain’t charging (I have a new alternator but waiting on bracket that I need to modify then locate it... then wire it up...
2) vacuum advance diaphragm has failed, need to amend
3) I need to flush the fuel tank and blow out air lines as I’m just using a drink bottle at the moment... and oh yeah
4) it’s not registered.

Gonna take a breather now then set about repairing the chronic diff pinion leak, fit new lines and cylinders for rear brakes, then get the rest of interior & hanging panels back on it for blue slip, then finally I’ll be able to go burn some gas.

ardiesse

Post by ardiesse »

Joe,

Well done.

I can assist with item (1) above. Bring your generator and regulator to me, and I'll clean and adjust as required.

Rob
59wagon

Post by 59wagon »

Nice looking engine bay, Joe. I’m enjoying your thread, it’s very informative.

Cheers,

John
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

59wagon wrote:Nice looking engine bay, Joe. I’m enjoying your thread, it’s very informative.

Cheers,

John
Thanks John! I’ve learned a lot along the way, glad to be able to return some information.

thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

ardiesse wrote:Joe,

Well done.

I can assist with item (1) above. Bring your generator and regulator to me, and I'll clean and adjust as required.

Rob
Thanks mate, very kind of you to offer :)

I’d take you up on it, however I got my hands on a brand new alternator w/internal reg quite cheap. It’s 65amp I think?... whatever the case, it’s my plan to run that just as soon as I make up a lower bracket for it.

Sonic Injection make these for $130 delivered, but I’m not 100% certain t is correct for the alt I have.
Other than wanting to avoid that cost, I’m gonna have a go at welding up my own version of this so I can locate the pulley in the right spot:

Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Eat yer dinner off that donk joe

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Errol62 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:02 pm Eat yer dinner off that donk joe Image
Thanks Clay. What can I say, I like em neat under the hood and ratty on the outside :)

No point having pristine bodywork when you live in inner Sydney like I do anyways. Some stressed out, impatient, ladder-climbing professional will drive into soon enough :roll:
59wagon

Post by 59wagon »

Hey Joe, can I ask what the part number is for the Protex clutch slave cylinder please, and/or where you got it from? I’ve done a bit of searching but nbg. I may have to replace mine soon.
Cheers,

John