Leroy the EK Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

thebrotherj
State: NSW

Re: Leroy the EK Ute

Post by thebrotherj »

Errol62 wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 8:27 am May not be the prettiest job bro but looks very solid. Be back on the road where it should be in no time. Being driven Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
yeah, I know it!! I'm just making the most of what I've got (both my limited skills & materials) to get it on the road again. If it works out well, I hope to revisit some of this mess down the track. Or just drive the hell out of it like the workhorse it clearly already was ;)
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

nice work mate :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Hey Bro,

Appreciate the trouble you have gone to in posting the pics / detail which assists myself and no doubt other members to learn more about these iconic cars. Look forward to your seeing it progress. :thumbsup:

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
WayneXG95

Post by WayneXG95 »

Very Impressive mate :thumbsup:
Wayne Chambers
President
FB EK Holden Car Club of N.S.W
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Hey BrotherJ
Love your thread and the work you are doing, it is good to see another ute almost back to going.

I'm also trying to complete the floor repairs, can you tell me what was the black sealant that you used on the seems.

Keep posting photos mate.

Regards
Neil H
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
BS
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by BS »

Lookin good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

WayneXG95 wrote:Very Impressive mate :thumbsup:
Cheers Wayne

thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

FireKraka wrote:Hey BrotherJ
Love your thread and the work you are doing, it is good to see another ute almost back to going.

I'm also trying to complete the floor repairs, can you tell me what was the black sealant that you used on the seems.

Keep posting photos mate.

Regards
Neil H
Hey Neil, thanks for that! I think "almost" might be a bit optimistic though, every task I turn my hand to reveals yet more work... But I'm kind of ok with that cos I'm just fixing it all as I go. Hoping it drives ok!

So I used Sikaflex 227 seam sealant. It's not a caulking compound, it's like a cross between mastic (windscreen sealant) and a silicone. It cures rubbery. But it's messy as hell to apply, just like mastic. Wear gloves!

I prefer the old caulking compound I had years ago (made by Selleys from memory, I used that last in 1999...) cos it applied more evenly and looked factory. I haven't spotted it on the shelf, probably has a new name or packaging now. But I've used Sikaflex 227 on a few cars since and have no complaints.

How'd you floorpans fit? Did you use Rares? I was annoyed at how much area was missed where it meets the kick panel. Pretty good otherwise though.

thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

BS wrote:Lookin good

Cheers ImageImageImage

thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

In the Shed wrote:Hey Bro,

Appreciate the trouble you have gone to in posting the pics / detail which assists myself and no doubt other members to learn more about these iconic cars. Look forward to your seeing it progress. :thumbsup:

Regards
Stephen
Thanks Stephen, I appreciate that. Yep it's a bit of a mission posting pics on the forum, but the encouragement keeps me motivated :)

FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Hey J;
Mate I purchased Ray Taylor front floor pans and even though I was not sure if I needed them I purchased Rares Rear pans (Ray doesnt make them).
Rays pans are really good but they also dont really meet over to the kick panel maybe they should leave a little extra so they we can trim what we dont want instead of having to add and make it look shit.
The rares rear pans I didn't think much of and will probably put them up for sale as I don't need to use them.

Regards
Neil H
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Having knocked over the main rust issues on the left hand-front corner of the car, I'm now dividing my attention between a bunch of tasks as I move around the front of the car.

First up: remove the driver's side fender and have a good look at what is needed on that side. The news is all good, compared to the passenger's. The fender has already had a rust repair cut in (and a bonus fibreglass patch... but will pass rego) so I'll tidy that up and press on. There are no rust holes in the bulkhead section below the screen and there is a previous repair at the sub-frame bolt that will do for now. Thank god.

Next: Opening the bonnet was both stiff ...and 'floppy' ( :wtf: ) as the spot welds on both sides of the bracing had snapped and there was a big crack in the edge, right on the curve on the drivers side. So I drilled & plug welded the brace back together, then cut out the crack and welded in a 15cm long section along the edge & underside. A lube of the hinges and it opens properly now. As I think I mentioned earlier, I sourced the correct blue paint (holts DSF13 Deep Aqua - a &*#@ colour), so I've been touching up all the jambs and edges. While it might seem like I'm just polishing a turd by doing this stuff, I'm always thinking about things from the eyes of a Blue Slip inspector. Presentation helps and having a bonnet that doesn't require owner instructions to open it is also a plus...

The vent cowling was three different colours and covered in gaffer-tape goo. So it got a clean, a lick of paint and new bonnet lacing also.

The underside of the bonnet was covered, corner to corner, in rust, so it got sanded, then hit with rust convertor, primer & paint. Looks super neat now.

My current plan is to get the car running with its current driveline, and hope for the best. If I can get it to hold oil & run well enough to pass rego, I'll do it. I have another driveline ready to swap straight in, but that hasn't run for 20 years... though I know it's in good shape. Once through rego and bugs from this build are sorted, I'll get the other motor up on a stand and give it some love ready for a future swap.

So for now, the engine bay is being tidied up with the motor in place. The wiring is all now removed/folded out of the way, metal brake lines removed, master cylinders yanked and accelerator linkages stripped. With them on the bench, the extent of the wear became clear. Rather than spend $60 on a new accel pedal, I made up little bushings for the pivot and welded in. Then set about welding all the linkages up and drilling/re-sizing every pivot point.

It's fiddly stuff but it's all progress! Front suspension and crossmember is next. :wave:
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

FireKraka wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 12:23 pm Hey J;
Mate I purchased Ray Taylor front floor pans and even though I was not sure if I needed them I purchased Rares Rear pans (Ray doesnt make them).
Rays pans are really good but they also dont really meet over to the kick panel maybe they should leave a little extra so they we can trim what we dont want instead of having to add and make it look shit.
The rares rear pans I didn't think much of and will probably put them up for sale as I don't need to use them.

Regards
Neil H
I just had a good surf around looking at Ray's panels - can;t believe I'd never heard of them before! The ones I can see appear to be identical sections to Rare's. Yep agreed, a little extra metal for the customer to fold up/cut out as needed in that corner would be great! I'm just glad the kick panel will cover the shitty section I had to make up down there.

Any updates on your ute?
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Gonna try posting from TapaTalk, wish me luck. I'm gonna upload photos using 'best' size and we'll what happens eh.

So I'm onto the front end now. Dropped out the passenger side spring: it came out in three pieces! Left behind a coil rusted in the spring seat up in the crossmember tower, and another coil stayed in the control arm at the other end. I ain't seen that before.

At least the driver's side only came out in two pieces...

Having never driven the car, I had no idea what to expect. Both king-pins have been recently overhauled (zero play in them) so there was a vague glimmer of hope. Alas, with the springsnow out, all I can say is, I am glad I never did have to drive it! Man, the wear in the outer pivot pins and inner arm bushes was horrendous. And the passenger lower pivot pin through the crossmember was adrift, had broken a couple of booger welds holding it in. Sorted that out with some overkill welding and then went to work scrubbing & painting the whole show while I waited for new parts to arrive:

dropped into Syndey Tools to get my hands on 1" and 1 & 1/8" impact sockets for my 23 year old breaker bar, after failing to get this guy undone using all the wrong tools. I'm not sure what happened, but an empty VB stubby on the bench got thrown clear across the garage and into the other wall when it let go. F*!k knows how:

Production line parts painting in the spray booth, complete with my patented solar powered baking setup

And finally, putting it back together.

Peened the inner arms with a centre punch to grab the bushes a little better. The upper arm bushes all but cut a new thread... but tightened down true and firm. Had a fun time setting up the gaps in the pivot pins for 'best' kingpin to control arm alignment, it's all moving nicely, with minute persuasion towards positive caster. I cranked the eccentric to max negative camber for now, I'll obviously do the alignment properly later...

Oh and I had to ream out the hole in the lower arm as the new Monroe GT Gas shocks didn't quite sneak through. I painted them and the Super Low King Springs in Toyota Royal Blue, cos the old (failed) Gabriel units that came out looked kinda cool, so I decided to match that colour. Looks a little bright here cos of the flash.

New wheel bearing seals, re-packed the old bearings (they're fine), then did a basic build of the drums: the linings are fine, but it copped a new wheel cyl and brake hose, now suspended from the inner guard by an HR Holden spec spring from Rare's. I know that aligning the hose correctly should avoid tyre rub, but all three EK's I've worked on had rubbed hoses. This has worked out super neat.

The backing plates and drums are done in calliper paint, and once I greased the whole thing, I have one last clean and hit it with clear coat. That's mainly to stop the bushes from going rusty, but the whole show should look ok for a little while longer too. I hope.

This might be my last post for a while, I gotta turn my attention to some life stuff... but hopefully I'll have the other side finished up in the coming week.

Cheers. J

Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Rocketing along there J. Like your windscreen masking material.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie