Leroy the EK Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

thebrotherj
State: NSW

Re: Leroy the EK Ute

Post by thebrotherj »

In the Shed wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:26 pm Good stuff Brother J,
Looks very tidy indeed, almost too good to put the guards back on!
thanks Stephen! :thumbsup:
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

thebrotherj wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:45 am
that's good news! 'specially seeing as your old bus is probably another inch lower than mine, if the photos are anything to go by. Also, how's your EK going by the way? You still have it?

I was more referring to making sure I don't approach speed bumps too fast and thump the bumpstops... did you cut yours down?
The bumpstops are holding up the front I end, I'm not game to cut them down.... mine's probably another inch and a half lower. But it does look good :ebiggrin: and never scraped on a speed bump or got stuck for that matter. Nothing hangsing below the sills helps.

Still got the EK, haven't done too much been busy looking at houses and fixing ours up and fighting the roadster. Will post up some pics soon.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Devilrod wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:57 pm
Still got the EK, haven't done too much been busy looking at houses and fixing ours up and fighting the roadster. Will post up some pics soon.
sweet Brett! These are all good things to wrestle. I tracked ya down on Insta too, good to see a snippet (both metaphorically and metallurgically speaking...) of the EK's rear quarter. Always loved that car and am pleased it's making a come back after it went awol :thumbsup:
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

G'day everyone, been ferreting away on the Ute whenever I can, rubbing back the engine bay and painting it as best possible, but that hasn't been easy as the air has been so cold and damp in Sydney lately. Driver's inner guard took a few attempts.

Photos aren't so great, being as there's a lot of black-on-black going on... a picture of the callouses on my fingers might tell the story better. Here's a few:

The firewall on the driver's side was stripped of paint from leaking master cylinders, so it got the rust-convertor treatment and painted black to match the front clip, but when I sanded back the rest of the firewall, the original Pittwater Green was revealed. I think I read somewhere on here that Adelaide built Utes (as mine is) all had body colour firewalls, so this figures. I was still surprised though, as the two Syndey built EK's I've had previously were black/Clinker Grey colour.

I don't know if I'll regret doing this, but I've decided to clear coat the green section (it's 'now a feature wall' as my bro said) and press on. Leaving it as a reminder for that time down the track when I get around to straightening the body properly and returning the whole car to its correct colour...

While the clear coat was out, I cleaned up a few other things (voltage reg cover, Delco wiper motor, bonnet hinges, steering box and brace) and sealed them all up too, then spent ages using thinners to wipe black paint off the original blue-taped wiring harness... then started putting it all back together.

New master cylinders are in, though I'm currently wrestling with the new metal feed line from the clutch master cylinder down to the hose connector point.
Rather than going to my regular brake guy to make new ones, I took a chance on the bloke on eBay who makes em to order. Upsides: the cost is not much more, they're delivered to my desk at work (my guy is a hassle to get to) and the materials are great quality - properly coated hardline, not just soft bundy tube. Downside: the clutch feed line is the wrong shape... everything else he supplied has been great though.

Anyway. I'll wrap my head around that tonight, I was seeing double when I tackled that late last night O_o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

yep of course, got home tonight and spent no more than 10 minutes sorting out the hard lines from clutch and brake master cylinders down to the junction block and slave cyl hose connection respectively.

Looks fantastic, I'm happy that the entire front brake circuit is brand new now.

In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Looks good, I like the clear coat. i think you'll have trouble getting it started with that dizzy cap though!
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Nice work! :thumbsup:
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
WayneXG95

Post by WayneXG95 »

Yes nice work - I love watching this stuff :clap:
Wayne Chambers
President
FB EK Holden Car Club of N.S.W
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

In the Shed wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:52 pm Looks good, I like the clear coat. i think you'll have trouble getting it started with that dizzy cap though!
hmm good point. Reckon it'll fire if I tip some diesel in the tank though? :lol:
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Devilrod wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:49 pm Nice work! :thumbsup:
cheers! :D
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

WayneXG95 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:26 am Yes nice work - I love watching this stuff :clap:
Thanks! And yep, me too. I am well and truly sick of the cleaning/sanding/ painting phase. Very much enjoying installing new parts and seeing it come together.
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

my bro has a sandblaster at his work (geez I gotta get one myself) so he cleaned up a few things for me, including the complete accelerator linkage set-up. I hit them with clear coat and fitted it all up tonight. I also discovered that the 6-into-1 extractors fitted foul linkage actuated by the long arm off the firewall - the old boy only ever got about half throttle!
Spent some quality time tonight modifying that and I'm pleased to say, the Stromberg is now fully open for business.

So I'm forced to down toolsImage for a month as I'm heading away. A friend is moving in to mind the place, so I've packed the Ute with the contents of my room (it's a pretty handy storage unit!) and locked the gun shed down. Was hoping to fire the old boy up before I left but alas, it will have to wait until August now.

Catch ya's then.

thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Well I dropped a ten pack of Sagres (think: Portuguese VB) on a finger when I tripped up a staircase in Porto last month so I'm waiting for surgery now... doesn't even hurt but I'm heading for trouble playing drums & guitar if I don't get the bone set properly. So I won't be touching the Ute much either for a month or three right now which is mighty frustrating! :(

Also: what a shame about PhotoBucket. Is anyone aware of any resolution to this or are we looking at end days for forums such as these? I'll still post via Tapatalk, I guess. But it sucks not being able to look up old tech posts, those images have been priceless as a resource every now and then.

Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

bummer !!! Tapatalk etc is going to have to be the go to for forum pics I guess, but yeah its another nail in the coffin as far as forums go sadly :esad: :esad: :esad: thanks for nothing Photobucket :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Sorry to hear J. Don't suppose there is a Portuguese version of Coopers Sparkling you could have done a classier job with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie