Leroy the EK Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

EK283
State: NSW

Re: Leroy the EK Ute

Post by EK283 »

All looking very good indeed.

With your clutch fork have you got any play in it or is it tight ? Its been a long time since I have played with a grey motor and clutch adjustment but if there is no play with the clutch fork fully adjusted back like in the photo something is wrong. You want some travel so the thrust bearing is off the clutch pressure plate fingers at rest so the bearing doesn't wear out prematurely, (spinning all the time).

Regards Greg
So many cars so little time!
oz_ek
State: VIC

Post by oz_ek »

P1050205.JPG
P1050205.JPG (142.33 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
Attachments
P1050206.JPG
P1050206.JPG (186.92 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

EK283 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:56 am All looking very good indeed.

With your clutch fork have you got any play in it or is it tight ? Its been a long time since I have played with a grey motor and clutch adjustment but if there is no play with the clutch fork fully adjusted back like in the photo something is wrong. You want some travel so the thrust bearing is off the clutch pressure plate fingers at rest so the bearing doesn't wear out prematurely, (spinning all the time).

Regards Greg
me too, I've (somehow) owned a succession of auto trans cars over the last ten years

Thanks for your reply Greg. I think you're right, I think something is wrong with the clutch fork adjustment inside the bellhousing. Is that able to be adjusted? I am wondering that this car may have the wrong clutch installed at the moment.

I am able to adjust the push rod back far enough to have the desired 5/64" (nearly 2mm) play between the pivot ball and the fork, so I'm confident that will be ok but I am suspect of the fact that the rod has been shortened by someone. Probably trying to make the dodgy clutch work.

To answer your question, yes, the clutch fork feels to have no freeplay. That is: it feels to be engaging the throwout bearing in it's resting state, even with the slave cylinder off the car.

I am also suss as the images from the workshop manual show a lot more adjustment available along the pushrod for the slave. oz-ek posted the picture I mean above, you can compare to what my picture looks like. I was happy to write that off as my cheapie aftermarket slave cylinder body being a different depth, or something like that, but now I'm thinking I might take the gearbox out for a look.

I have another grey & 3 speed driveline under my bench, I might drag it out tonight and compare things. Stay tuned.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

J
That looks a bit wrong. Unless you have a very thick clutch setup fitted? I would try turning engine by hand and see if things change before firing up. If not then fire up in neutral with no clutch engaged. Might be a bit of loose facing stuck in there somewhere which is spacing the fork out from the thrust face.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Errol62 wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:45 pm J
That looks a bit wrong. Unless you have a very thick clutch setup fitted? I would try turning engine by hand and see if things change before firing up. If not then fire up in neutral with no clutch engaged. Might be a bit of loose facing stuck in there somewhere which is spacing the fork out from the thrust face.
Cheers
Clay
I would be stoked if that was the case, but as it sinks in that someone else has modified the slave pushrod just to get some freeplay, I'm betting the wrong clutch is fitted. Too thick, as you say. I will undo all the bellhousing bolts and see if the trans pushes back from the motor a little... then go hunting for the cause.

Dang! :roll:
oz_ek

Post by oz_ek »

Also check the thrust race/bearing is the corrected one.
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

oz_ek wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:38 pm Also check the thrust race/bearing is the corrected one.
ooh good point.
I have an ancient memory that a red motor clutch could be fitted to a crashbox Grey, but that it was important to also run the throw out bearing to suit, ie: don't reuse the old Grey motor one cos they'll fit... but they're deeper and won't release all the way. Can anyone comment on that??

I'm creating conspiracy theories here
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I wouldn't bother too much about pulling anything apart till you see how it functions. But that's just me.

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Front end is done. Back on it's wheels for the first time in a while and I'm pleased to say everything seems sweet. My modified sway bar mount has worked out down to the milimetre, link and shock bushes tensioned after a good bounce, and steering is super smooth and light, even static.

The springs have seated and ride height seems pretty even side to side and it's nice n' low... sills are 215mm off the deck at the front and 265mm at the rear, which means 2" or 50mm lowering blocks in the rear will bring it nice and level.

Spent ages getting the spring that holds the brake lines away from the tires right, lock to lock and at full droop vs ride height. Wound up drilling a hole further up the inner guard from the wiring clip hole I had em in originally... on account of the lower ride height.

and finally... bump stops may need a trim. The spring rate is good and firm, but I reckon speed bumps will be an issue

Now it on to sanding the engine bay tray for paint when this shitty weather lifts.

oz_ek

Post by oz_ek »

Looking good!.....A bit easier to work on than a frog I'd imagine. :ewink:
EK283

Post by EK283 »

I feel so sorry for the generation following us.

There will be no opportunity to tinker, weld modify or simply have fun without huge cost. I mean look at todays housing just enough room to store one safe and reliable piece of technology that is just so uninspiring, boring and controlled that it is merely a shopping trolley !!!

My point being that there is so much joy and satisfaction building, creating, dreaming !!!! Those days seem to be slipping away. :shock: :shock:

Any way good job, I bet your extremely happy Mr Leroy owner !!!

Regards Greg
So many cars so little time!
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Good stuff Brother J,
Looks very tidy indeed, almost too good to put the guards back on!

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

Looking good brotherj, although I'm fairly sure sitting at that height speed humps won't be an issue. :thumbsup:
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

oz_ek wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:44 pm Looking good!.....A bit easier to work on than a frog I'd imagine. :ewink:
you haven't had the pleasure?!... mercifully, I only worked on a couple of XM's in the late 90s, the dealership I did my apprenticeship in used to sell/service them way back when. Seriously weird machines. :crazy:
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Devilrod wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:07 am Looking good brotherj, although I'm fairly sure sitting at that height speed humps won't be an issue. :thumbsup:
that's good news! 'specially seeing as your old bus is probably another inch lower than mine, if the photos are anything to go by. Also, how's your EK going by the way? You still have it?

I was more referring to making sure I don't approach speed bumps too fast and thump the bumpstops... did you cut yours down?