Leroy the EK Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

In the Shed
State: SA

Re: Leroy the EK Ute

Post by In the Shed »

Hi Brother,
Good work it is looking very tidy. The modifiers on this forum would suggest you could just drop those original shortened springs back in and drop the nose an inch or two :shock:

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
thebrotherj
State: NSW

Post by thebrotherj »

In the Shed wrote:Hi Brother,
Good work it is looking very tidy. The modifiers on this forum would suggest you could just drop those original shortened springs back in and drop the nose an inch or two :shock:

Regards
Stephen
Hahaha yeah! First thing I said to my bro when I saw that both of them were broken at the same spot down the bottom was "well, that's my lowering sorted!!"

Nearly kept them too you know... alas I had to do it 'right'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Errol62 wrote:Rocketing along there J. Like your windscreen masking material.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Clay, I've been up way too late some nights, but it's warmer in the garage than my house. Might put a bed in there.

Some magazine subscription my folks had came with a bonus calendar each year with old Buick/Olds/Studebaker/AMC/Pontiac ads for images.. I have so many lying around! And I don't buy newspapers anymore so masking paper has been short supply :)

Good inspiration tho, I love those drawings

Mick

Post by Mick »

good work :thumbsup:
what do use to get stuff so clean :?:
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Mick wrote:good work :thumbsup:
what do use to get stuff so clean :?:
Thanks Mick!
Just doing it all by hand mate. Bit of a slog, I'm doing the driver's side today.

Scraper, wire brush, 60grit, 600 grit, maybe 1200 grit if it's something you'll be looking at a lot (engine bay, back of the bonnet etc)... thinners if there's a heap of grease... always a big wipe down with Prepsol before painting. I'll use rust convertor where it's needed but I always let that set for more than the recommended 3 hours. Then it's etch primer (1 hour) acrylic satin black (1 hour) then maybe some clear.

No tricks, and it's time consuming, but totally worth it I reckon Image

thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

what better way to deal with a hangover. Rolling around on the floor scraping this lot clean... then sniffing rust convertor paint 🤢

thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

5 days of straight rain forecast so I wrangled a day off work to get the driver's side of the front-end under paint before that happens...

Pretty pleased so far.ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

WayneXG95

Post by WayneXG95 »

In here somewhere is my post about replacing the rubber that go around the top of the subframe where the guard attaches.
If it any help?

http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... 11&t=15459
Wayne Chambers
President
FB EK Holden Car Club of N.S.W
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

looks mint mate :thumbsup:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

WayneXG95 wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:25 pm In here somewhere is my post about replacing the rubber that go around the top of the subframe where the guard attaches.
If it any help?

http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... 11&t=15459
yeah I remember reading that post ages ago, Russell used the Clark Rubber strips. is that the one? I was going to go looking for that but mine are actually completely intact (a small miracle) so I'm not going to touch it! :thumbsup:
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Blacky wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:18 pm looks mint mate :thumbsup:
cheers Blacky 8)
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

You gotta love the Utes :thumbsup: I expect a lot of elbow grease has gone into that bonnet and guard, but the results look great. Good work Brother J. :thumbsup:

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

In the Shed wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:26 pm You gotta love the Utes :thumbsup: I expect a lot of elbow grease has gone into that bonnet and guard, but the results look great. Good work Brother J. :thumbsup:

Regards
Stephen
Oh the irony - I'm in treatment for a pretty savage case of tennis elbow at the moment as a result of all this! Hahaha... it's a pretty spicy pain just trying to use tin-snips on sheet metal at the moment.
My body doesn't bounce back from 12 hour days of sanding and wire brushing and operating machinery like it used to :|
thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

Good night tonight, put the driver's side front suspension together and it all seems good. Just need to strip and rebuild the drum & hub assemblies and it'll be back on Mother Earth again.

I also spent a fair bit of time getting the new front metal brake lines fitted up as best I could, shaping that stupid one that runs under the radiator for the LHF wheel. What engineer thought running a brake line along a hot radiator was a good idea.

Still a few tweaks needed but it's going to work.

Finally, I refitted the rear engine mount brackets and a full set of new engine mounts as the old ones were all jelly. I had to weld a new channel inside the RH bracket as it had rusted, but you can't tell, it looks factory in the outside.

I also started dummying up the new clutch slave and pushrod. The new push rod from Rares is too long, but I swapped over the locknut and pivot ball onto the old rod, which looks to have been ground down. Not much room for adjustment! I fee like something about my clutch fork or even the slave mounting might not be right... any tips from the boffins? The workshop manual looks the same as what I'm showing:

[IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201706 ... 01.jpg[IMG]

thebrotherj

Post by thebrotherj »

that last photo didn't load right, this is the view from the other side. Does it look right?