LS1EK

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

TAZ
State: TAS

Re: LS1EK

Post by TAZ »

searay wrote:Really nice build love the pictures. I am about to start doing the same build, just waiting for my motor to arrive from the states. I might go a rodtech front end. Have you change one of the front end out riggers to RHS. Its hard to tell but have you made the subframe all one piece to the frame?
Hi Searay, yes the K frame is now part of the full chassis with the rhs section spliced into it. This was done by the previous owner. I don't believe it is actually necessary to do this but hey i am not going to change it. Cheers Simon

Sent from my LG-K500 using Tapatalk

TAZ

Post by TAZ »

I fitted up some shinny bits, very pretty, looks like i will have room for the shift cable, steering shaft and headers.ImageImage

Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

G'day Taz,

The EK is really looking neat. Glad to hear you are thinking of running the headers down between the block and the subframe. I took the easy way out, and bought CRS fenderwell headers. They were the only thing available off the shelf 10 years ago, and the advice at the time from CRS was that blockhuggers (or custom headers) would be waaaay to hot. Experience (including Chopped's vehicle) shows they can be done, and done well. I love the look of fenderwell headers (the old gasser type peaking out of the wheel arches 8) ), but they have been painful. Took a while to work out where to cut the inner guards, then had to get steel rod welding around the lip of the hole to keep the engineer happy. Brake hoses wanted to rub, so had to find HR brake hose spring thingies. Engineer was not happy with the heat load on the brake hoses, so now have to insulate the brake hoses. Hindsight is 20/20, but I wish I had of ignored the CRS advice and got some custom headers made.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
TAZ

Post by TAZ »

Harv wrote:G'day Taz,

The EK is really looking neat. Glad to hear you are thinking of running the headers down between the block and the subframe. I took the easy way out, and bought CRS fenderwell headers. They were the only thing available off the shelf 10 years ago, and the advice at the time from CRS was that blockhuggers (or custom headers) would be waaaay to hot. Experience (including Chopped's vehicle) shows they can be done, and done well. I love the look of fenderwell headers (the old gasser type peaking out of the wheel arches 8) ), but they have been painful. Took a while to work out where to cut the inner guards, then had to get steel rod welding around the lip of the hole to keep the engineer happy. Brake hoses wanted to rub, so had to find HR brake hose spring thingies. Engineer was not happy with the heat load on the brake hoses, so now have to insulate the brake hoses. Hindsight is 20/20, but I wish I had of ignored the CRS advice and got some custom headers made.

Cheers,
Harv
Cheers for the kind words and advice Harv. Long way to go yet but as you would know you just have to keep chipping away at it.

TAZ

Post by TAZ »

Now what do we have here, well it is my birthday later this week ImageImageImageImageImage

EK283
State: NSW

Post by EK283 »

Wow nice looking radiator, is that a standard off the shelf or did you get it made up ???

Thanks Greg
So many cars so little time!
TAZ

Post by TAZ »

EK283 wrote:Wow nice looking radiator, is that a standard off the shelf or did you get it made up ???

Thanks Greg
Custom made triple core from Desert Cool Radiators.

In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Cool Taz, that is one big radiator! I didn't think it got hot that far south? Keep at it. :thumbsup:

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
TAZ

Post by TAZ »

In the Shed wrote:Cool Taz, that is one big radiator! I didn't think it got hot that far south? Keep at it. Image

Regards
Stephen
Ha things will get hot once i add a lung into the engine bay lol.

TAZ

Post by TAZ »

Column floor mount fitted and steering rack connected including notching the chassis to clear the steering shaft.ImageImage

TAZ

Post by TAZ »

Left hand side done and got rid of all the bits not needed ready to mount the big triple core radiatorImage

CHOPPED
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by CHOPPED »

looking real good mate
harv im flattered for the mention :ebiggrin:
thankyou sir
HEY IT WASNT ME
TAZ

Post by TAZ »

So alternator and air con pump fit up finally completed including boxing the rails, will finish welding etc once on the rotisserie. Plenty of clearance now, next job finish the passanger side floor and then tunnel.

Attachments
20180127_154148.jpg
20180127_154148.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 520 times
TAZ

Post by TAZ »

Passanger side floor in, just need to finish fitting and welding in the footwell.ImageImage

FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

Love it mate looks great.
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)