FB ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

In the Shed
State: SA

Re: FB ute

Post by In the Shed »

:thumbsdown: Hmmmm……. Not good.
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

So had a crack at fixing the FB Valdez today, whipped the side plate off and found a dag from the head gasket sticking out , figured that had to be the problem Image

Cleaned up all the surfaces, and the old oil that was everywhere, carefully reassembled it all , did a rocker set, fitted my new sway bar , did an oil change, topped up the gearbox, and kicked her in the guts. Image

Still leaking the bastard- but not as much ImageImageImageImageImage

So I cleaned off the new rocker cover gasket, scrubbed the sealing surfaces with a scouring pad dipped in prepsol , checked the rocker cover with a straightedge and carefully reassembled it, let the sealant dry and tried it again- and the bastard is STILL leaking ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Time for a red motor/5 speed conversion methinks ……….. fuggin grey motors ……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Always remember the Plumber's Creed:

Do your best.
Silastic the rest.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Measured up my rocker cover on the flattest surface in the shed , appeared the ends had about 20 thou or so clearance according to the feelergaugeometer so I took them to my mates machine shop and had them surface ground - he told me they were miles out , here’s hoping that was the problem. I initially had the Lanspeed one on the car but it leaked so I replaced it with the Speco one , now they should both be OK I hope Image

When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Just cleaned it up a bit, threw it on and no leaks ImageImage dunno for how long …..

Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

8) 8)

FB ute fixer upper, EK van on rotisserie
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Got a sexy new exhaust tip to dress the old girl up ImageImage

Harv

Post by Harv »

Zim pirate inspired, or D9 Cat transplant? :lol:

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Dat should evacuate tha fumes good…

EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Had a package turn up on Friday , the radio I bought from Greg EK283 has been repaired and is ready to install in the ute ImageImage big thanks to Greg Bell from the QLD club who sorted it out for me ImageImage

EK283

Post by EK283 »

Radio looks good Blacky.

Apart from cleaning up did you get anything else done to it ?

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Bloody good bloke mr bell.

EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

EK283 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:15 am Radio looks good Blacky.

Apart from cleaning up did you get anything else done to it ?

Greg
Yeah he had to replace all the capacitors in it they had dried out which is pretty normal for a radio of that vintage

Stygian

Post by Stygian »

Blacky wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 4:08 pm Measured up my rocker cover on the flattest surface in the shed , appeared the ends had about 20 thou or so clearance according to the feelergaugeometer so I took them to my mates machine shop and had them surface ground - he told me they were miles out , here’s hoping that was the problem. I initially had the Lanspeed one on the car but it leaked so I replaced it with the Speco one , now they should both be OK I hope
I had a similar problem with a grey motor Stromberg carb body. I used a flat alloy plate with some 400 wet and dry to lap the top of the body until it was level. Sealed beautifully after that (no sealer - just the gasket). I guess 60 plus years of being heated up and cooled down will warp anything made of thin alloy...
Blacky

FB ute

Post by Blacky »

Had a couple of little jobs on the ute to knock over so got into it this arvo seeing as we have a club run tomorrow- had a steering box brace sitting there for a few months now that needed fitting so I thought I would start with that .
Bolted it on , drilled a couple of holes and job done - simples Image
Next - speedo cable replacement and install new corrector box for the Tasmans , out with the old and in with the new - easy ImageImage

Jacked up the back of the ute to test the cable , kicked her in the guts, foot on clutch and BANGImage️ clutch return spring broke on me ImageImageImage

Ran up to EKMart before they close and picked out a replacement

Removed, wire wheeled and painted, so while that is drying time to fit the new club Numberplate frames

Now to fit the bloody spring, and we all know what a fun job that is - then back onto the rattler .