WALLY'S EK

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

FJWALLY
State: VIC

Re: WALLY'S EK

Post by FJWALLY »

no - just the normal paper gasket - should the lever be in contact with the cam at all times or is there a fair amount of the cam that the two are separated?
You will find me lost somewhere!
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

It's pretty normal for the fuel pump lobe to be pretty shiny, with few marks.

The lever is in contact with the cam at all times.

One other thing it may be is that if you are not careful when putting the pump in, the pump arm can slip under the cam lobe. It then rides on nothing, and gets no push.

Before you pull the motor, put a dial gauge in through the pump hole and spin the engine to see what the lobe lift is like. If you got no lift (e.g. if the reco company mistook the lobe for a bearing journal), then pull the engine.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Hi Harv - yes we were very careful in inserting the arm just inside and upwards but when the cam lower side is towards the pump there is a long period in the rotation with no contact which has us concerned the engine guys messed up.
Huge let down if that is the case - was hoping to take the old man for a spin at Christmas. :thumbsdown:
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

FJWALLY wrote:Huge let down if that is the case - was hoping to take the old man for a spin at Christmas. :thumbsdown:
Can change the cam without removing the engine, may save a little time. If you are really stuck, I've got a bog-stock grey motor cam you can have. Would need to pick up from Greystanes on Christmas Eve though.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Thanks Harv but if they have stuffed it I am going to make them fix it at their cost - it's already wasted hours of my mechanics time - thing that upsets me most is they said they were coming to check it first thing this morning - still haven't shown up.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

I'd be trying a spare pump if I had one Wally, you never know. Otherwise the dial gauge as per Harv. If you don't have access to one you can improvise. Quarter of an inch or 6mm should be fairly obvious.

Feeling your pain.

Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
thropzed
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by thropzed »

Wally, From my limited experience, The pump arm is a bitch to locate upon installation.
It should push against the lobe and make it nigh impossible to locate the two bolts in the block.
My brothers Triumph had a similar problem as the pump arm had slightly moved on the lobe and eventually slipped off the cam lobe to relocate itself at an angle across the lobe so only getting half the pressure, Replacement pump had the arm at a different spot on the linial pin, So we tapped out the pin and put a spacer collet to allign the arm with the lobe, This worked to a surprising conclusion that the old morris motor had some real up and go when recieving the correct fuel pressure. Hope this helps.
Cheers Theo Z.............
Watch for the early bird, He might be just getting home.

FB/EK Car Club of QLD.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

It may be a combination of things so going back through the system - new pump - will replace the braided flex hose - check tank and lines for blockages and have motor guys confirm everything is as it should be re the cam - it's a such a simple system I don't really understand why it has become such a big drama.
Craig Allardyce

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Yep I'd be looking for air leaking into suction side lines or blockage (all the way back to tank pick up). Check discharge side to carby for blockages (stuck needle in carby).
Pull the lid off the carby and fill float bowl with fuel. Place a piece of paper over the vacuum port that would normally be covered and run the engine. See if pump maintains fuel level. Press down slightly on float to see if discharge increases.
Mick Jagger
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Mick Jagger »

is there gas in the tank?
put some compressed air in the filler neck and give it a blow with pump un hooked
then hook it up and give it another blow
should be good to go :)
just remember to replace braided fuel line with braided fuel line :oops:
kmawic
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

yes - I put another 15 litres in myself but there was fuel in it before hand.

Ive bought a braided line from Roger Hancock - hope they are the ducks nuts.

does anyone have a pic of the pickup - I have an aftermarket stainless tank replacement so not sure it even has one - is there a filter of some kind on it as well to keep out any debris?
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Fuel supply all sorted - the new braided line did the trick - the old must have cracked while we were mucking about and was leaking air - now sucking like a trooper
He got it to fire but also backfired so he needs to re-set the dizzy as timing obviously not right - maybe a runner tonight
Tried to post some pics but the bloody new iPhone take pics that are now too big to upload - DOH
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

She's a go-er - Thanks to all who offered advice and or parts - much appreciated https://www.facebook.com/groups/6127840 ... 7140812687
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Was offered and snapped up a pair of Speco headers last week - look to be the later steel variety rather than cast iron so hopefully they hold together well - having the exhaust fitted up this week and then might have the headers coated to protect them and make them look better as well as hopefully keep some heat away from the carbs.
Getting very close to having her back now - just the brake booster to fit up after the exhaust then I can start tinkering with rubbers once i get her home and tidy up the sill seams etc
Last edited by FJWALLY on Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.