WALLY'S EK

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

FJWALLY
State: VIC

Re: WALLY'S EK

Post by FJWALLY »

Been quite amazed at the condition of the metal in this old girl - these are the firewall plates for the steering column - soaked them in a CT18 and Shift-it bath over night and they came up clean as a whistle - best to use gloves though as it does kill the first layer of skin - LOL.
coat of chassis black and they are like new again.
Attachments
IMG_3218.JPG
IMG_3218.JPG (121.07 KiB) Viewed 1999 times
IMG_3219.JPG
IMG_3219.JPG (127.55 KiB) Viewed 1999 times
You will find me lost somewhere!
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Received a ripper parcel from D Mac - he has some ripper stuff - quality is fantastic
Heater box with flappy box bit - a clean up and paint and it will look like new.
Naira tap - simply superb condition - OEM pipe too. sweet
Sun visor - I was expecting a rusty old piece of C but pleasantly surprised the paint is 98% - the alloy edge is a little pitted but will clean up nicely.

Super day - wont have to freeze my packers off through winter. :laughinggg:
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Wow - just looked at the date of my last post - April - jeepers life gets in the way.
Quick update - motor is back in and all drive line connected up so thats the complete drive line and suspension/ brakes and bearings done.
drag link pulled / cleaned and reassembled - was in good nick inside and by the looks had never been adjusted.
New handbrake cables and didn't need a new speedo cable after all as it was the little gear in the box that failed so that was fixed in the re-build.
Intake and exhaust going on this week hopefully so we might get to start her up soon.
Brake booster being fitted also soon - might have a look at fitting this under the guard to keep the engine bay a bit tidier - Ive also opted for the bigger unit 44 to be on the safer side so would look better if cannot see it.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Hey Wally
Have you thought about locating the booster under the tray? Plenty of space behind the cab.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
basic.green
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by basic.green »

hi with the booster going under the gard you should ring hydroboost brakes..you need to fit a water proof thingy e bob.. they no. you need the booster to get hot air in it to stop condensation buy putting hose to engine bay.. i have just got mine (not fitted yet) going to run hose under gard then over gearbox and up near the extractors so cant see it and it gets plenty of hot air.. if dont it will kill the booster can rust from inside.. my 2 cents
building the dream Rick
basic.green
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by basic.green »

and just reread your post you need the booster for the right job vh40 for dic brakes on front drums on back and 44 for drums all round
building the dream Rick
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Thanks Basic.green- did not know re the air flow - will quiz the hydroboost guys as I bought the unit from them - I have the 44 after their recommendation so all good.

thanks Clay - will look at that also but did not know it was an option - would be better for protecting the unit for sure - does it effect the performance having so much extra pipe between it and the master cylinder?
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Hi Wally
Haven't tried it yet but thinking about it for the van. I can't imagine it being a problem but others may have experience. I plan to relocate heavy stuff rearward such as the. battery. Did this in my sedan (boot). Tidys up the engine bay but also improves handling significantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

There is a great deal of unused spaced behind the cab under the floor - would be a good place to make up an aluminium tray perhaps for the battery and other sundries and just have an access door in the floor which Ive seen a few guys do with utes.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Making some progress in recent weeks albeit frustrating at times.
Carbs all fitted up to find the Spec manifold was machined wrong and they were at all funny angles so had that re-done and all looking sharp now - bought some clamps from Kustom Bitz and ground the backs out of them so I had a nice flat clamp as the inlet and exhaust manifolds had quite different flange thicknesses the standard clamps were next to useless.
A couple of problems now are the external oil filter has been mounted wrong with the worst possible clamps system so so work to do there to get it sitting clear of all the leads etc and they have possibly made the hoses too long (made to suit filter sitting up high - DOH) .
Current problem is a poor file flow - pump is a reach unit and work perfectly when activated manually but when installed and engine cranked the flow is intermittent at best - almost like it is not being activated enough by the cam - surely they wouldn't have been stupid enough to over grind the cam - surely - I must be missing something - any clues?
The pump arm is in perfect condition - spring new etc etc and all looks to be re-bounding well when manually operated - this is the only thing I can think of is the lever is not returning properly.
Craig Allardyce

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Wally don't be worried too much about the pump as yet. Wait till you get the engine running and do a pressure and flow check then.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

can't get enough flow to get it running so it's a bit of a stumbling block at present Craig - the pumps in great condition and had been fully re-coed when I bought the car and as mentioned seams to work perfectly when operated manually.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Wally,

The grey motor fuel pump cam lobe lift should be 0.243".

If you get really stuck, remove the carb tops and fill up the float bowls with fuel. Fire it up on the bowl contents. This should give you enough to run for long enough to get the fuel pump cranking.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FJWALLY

Post by FJWALLY »

Thanks Harv - the engine guys are taking a look this morning as we including mechanic who used to re-build the same fuel pumps during his younger days can find nothing wrong with the pump - it squirts like a biatch by hand and the return action is really good so I can only surmise not enough throw from cam which will make me cry if they have to pull the motor again but as you say they should not have had to touch the cam - putting my finger in there and the surface of the fuel cam is very smooth - no groove or signs of wear so maybe they touched it up without thinking.
Fuel pump arm dimensions all check out to be correct after we measured against a NOS unit from auto-surplus.
Heaps of fuel in the bowl and not draining out so confident there are no leaks - really good pressure when you block the outflow pipe and depress the arm.

We've just pulled the oil filter off for now until I can source the proper bracket.

Dunno!
60Special
State: WA

Post by 60Special »

Is there a spacer or thick gasket where the fuel pump bolts on that is holding the arm too far from the cam? And not giving full stroke?