WA fb special

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

thomos60
State: INT

Re: WA fb special

Post by thomos60 »

With regards to the nut, scribe the nut with the angle grinder, and using a cold chisel, split the nut away from the stud.
cheers
Thomo
mph
State: WA

Post by mph »

edited post
Last edited by mph on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.
mph

Post by mph »

[quote="Errol62"]That ratio is probably out of a Torana auto so welcome home to your LJ housing. HG 6 van would have been 3:55 or 3:36 originally. I've run 3:08 behind 192 Aussie 4spd and 3.3 trimatic in my sedan very happily. EK and torana about the same weight and wheel size.

Haha yes welcome home, i think the center from the hg van must have been changed at some stage over the past 30+ years with some odd size nuts holding the axle in and some writing on the diff center gears like its been overhauled at some stage and and the fact like you guys said its 3.08 and commercial holden should have had shorter ratios :thumbsup:

I ended up using about a 8mm drill bit and just drilled 3 sides of the nut through to the thread and a slight chisel and tap and off with the nut n out with the center :thumbsup: .
that thread is actually a just long bolt with a copper washer and bolt head inside the diff :think: and it was just spinning what normally stops bolt spinning .
I think ill get a replacement bolt same length and tack the head in side the housing.

The new center as you guys have mentioned (cheers) is 3.08 im thinking about the fact im running a 161 red donk ,trimatic but 205 70 14 rear treads which are taller than the old 13s. it wasnt bad with 3.55 ratio but no speed demon either. see how it goes anyways :twisted:
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
oz_ek
State: VIC

Post by oz_ek »

I'm thinking the 161 running 14" wheels and 3:08 diff will be a slug to drive. :( Imo a 3:36 ratio would be a better option for general use. :thumbsup:
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

What Phil said

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

oz_ek wrote:I'm thinking the 161 running 14" wheels and 3:08 diff will be a slug to drive. :( Imo a 3:36 ratio would be a better option for general use. :thumbsup:
That was the setup in mine until it was taken off the road. I worked out fully loaded heading to the Sawtell Nat's a few years back via the coast road the old boy averaged 10 liters per hundred Kay's. Not too shabby. I drove it everywhere, was no rocket but a great all round driver. 3:08 may just be a smudge tall but once moving shouldn't be too bad.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
mph

Post by mph »

10 ltrs per 100 thats impressive, i dont think ive ever had a vehicle do that.. :lol:
i also have the original center from the fb 3.89? i might put that in over the 3.08 but im now running the eh style uni on the tail shaft ,
does any one know if a eh pinion yoke and nut can be put onto a fb diff ,the pinion seals on line seem to list eh and up
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
Errol62

WA fb special

Post by Errol62 »

No reason why you can't run the EH trunnion in the FB pinion cups is there? The 3.89 centres are generally nice and quiet having only been run behind a stock grey motor. Pretty sure I've done this when I first put a red six in my sedan back in 87.
10L/100km is near enough 28mpg which is what humpys used to do when driven mildly. A well tuned stock cam 149 EH sedan would do the same on a run.

EK van on rotisserie
mph

Post by mph »

Errol62 wrote:No reason why you can't run the EH trunnion in the FB pinion cups is there?
im not sure what part the trunnion is
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

The cross which is the main part of the uni. Take the cups off which bolt to diff yolk with u bolts an put on the 3.89 FB cups. Job done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EK van on rotisserie
mph

Post by mph »

I should have closed the bonnet fully for the pic

Im after some advise on changing the diff pinion seal , this is the oem 3.89 ? fb diff center which im putting in the torana diff ill leave the 3.08 ratio diff center for another day ,but the pinion seal needs changing first.
The seal ive pulled/ chiseled out is metal and the replacement that rare spares gave me is rubber. have i destroyed the metal bit and shouldn't have? does that need to go back in somehow? or can the new rubber one go straight in and job done.

FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

all good , just whack it in and you are good to go.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
mph

Post by mph »

cheers Mate, went in perfect :thumbsup:
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
mph

Post by mph »

Gday.
Besides putting a taco in
Is there a calculator to work out rpm for 195/70 14 , 3.89 diff and top gear in the trimatic @100kph and the same but with a 3.08 diff.
The grey 3.89 hums its box off on the free way

Got the fb finished besides a few minor things,went for some hot laps and dinner.
Pics no worki, let me sort it.
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Rolling diameter of 628.6mm, circumference 1974.8mm. 507.66mm per revolution with 3.89. 641.2mm per rev. At 100kmh with 3.89 diff 196981 revs per hour or 3283 rpm. With 3.08 diff 2599rpm. At 4000rpm with the 3.89 you would be doing 122 kmh which is about top speed with a stock grey. Your rubber combo gives a very close match to 185/80x13" equivalent to factory setup.
Simple geometry/algebra.
Cheers
Clay

EK van on rotisserie