WA fb special

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

mph
State: WA

Re: WA fb special

Post by mph »

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

So ive been getting some miles on the fb since being back on the road,
Question about fuel economy.
Using the phone with a km traveled app and a full to the brim tank went for a drive along the coast 50kph limit some suburbs and a the freeway sitting on 93kph so a variety of driving. I traveled 72 km and just before home topped the tank right back up which took 17.71 litres. nearly half a tank on the gauge. unless i have calculated it wrong i think it works out to be around 22.5 litres per hundred or 12.5 miles to the galon.
The motor is fully rebuilt fresh as 161 with high comp head, blue motor dizzy,but with an old orignial stock carby (prob needs a rebuild) and stock airfilter, 1 3/4 i think exhuast, trimatic and as previously mentioned 3.89.
Any ideas where to start
FB-Special
Big block 161 :lol:
Holley sniper EFI.
Vintage air ducted heat and cool.
Ek auto column shift.
Lj diff and reverse lights.
WA FB~EK Car Club Member.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

That isn't a very long trip to base your calculations on. Fresh rebuild you say. Could the motor be tight? Obviously rebuild the carb and check the jets. Get it dyno tuned maybe. 3.36 diff as discussed previously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

It needs to go on a decent run - say up to Dongara in about 2 weeks from now :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
mph

Post by mph »

Errol62 wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:21 pm That isn't a very long trip to base your calculations on. Fresh rebuild you say. Could the motor be tight? Obviously rebuild the carb and check the jets. Get it dyno tuned maybe. 3.36 diff as discussed previously.

That trip in particular wasn't long but have probably done around 600km and the tank gauge has been the same since the first drive. Might look at a x2 carby setup if im to start playing around with the carby.
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
mph

Post by mph »

Blacky wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:36 am It needs to go on a decent run - say up to Dongara in about 2 weeks from now :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin: :ebiggrin:
At the moment it should make it Perth to yanchep on 3 tanks :lol:
It's worse than my turbod 4.5 petrol landcruiser at least the fb cant get any worse :thumbsup:
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

WW Stromberg was a good setup on 161 in the Toranas as well as 186S in HR - HG. Better economy than the x2 I believe. Factory manifolds aren't too hard to come by. I would think they would be more readily available than the factory X2 manifold although there are plenty of after market ones around. I prefer factory for the red motor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EK van on rotisserie
mph

Post by mph »

I know the ones i think my old man has about 6 in his shed not sure about the manifold though, i think ill start this fuel economy job with some mucking around with carbys. and see how it goes then. atm it doesnt miss flood or anything will keep updated cheers
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
mph

Post by mph »

some sun visor shenanigans

the 3.08 ratio to go in for now, i have some nuts ready to weld into the housing as well , not sure if the housing thread would be strong enough for the two lower long bolts

down freo way, shes getting some miles on her atm

I had some looking on the wide web but cant find WA laws on taking my nephews for a lap in the fb aged 3 and 5 , no seat belts in the back seat, two shoulders and lap belt in the front ?
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Use brass washers to avoid oil weeping from the bolt holes

EK van on rotisserie
mph

Post by mph »

Errol62 wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:41 am Use brass washers to avoid oil weeping from the bolt holes

Will do mate cheers
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
EK283
State: NSW

Post by EK283 »

Mr MPH,

You will need one nut from memory as there was a drain plug / bolt in the bottom ok if your not Arnold !! Also copper washers are softer and compress better in my opinion.

As for the seatbelts I just wouldn't risk it with the little ones, I had a high chair in the front of a four wheel drive (no air bags) and got a warning from Mr plod although there were no such laws against it at the time. Funny though a ute seems to be ok ???????

Your car looks good and its great to see it on the road.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
mph

Post by mph »

Thanks Greg appreciate it.

I finally got a hold of the lic dept before smoko was over, They said any person under 7 requires the child seat to suit age in every car seat belts or not, if the vehicle cant restrain a child seat no child to go in.

i pulled the 3.89 out this afternoon and inspecting where im to weld the two nuts in the diff housing for the 3.08 and struck a little luck and there is already two in the housing, the lc / lj torana diffs already come with them. not need to get the welder out. the hardest bit is trying to find a auto shop that stocks banjo diff gaskets
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

As Greg says I think one should be a long stud. This is where a bolt can be used with the head tacked to the housing to allow tightening once assembled. Relying on memory from a long time ago.
Cheers
Clay

EK van on rotisserie
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

mph wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:20 pm . the hardest bit is trying to find a auto shop that stocks banjo diff gaskets
Rare Parts in Welshpool have them in stock , I get mine from Auto 1 in Kalamunda - surely Odins up your way would have them ???
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
mph

Post by mph »

Errol62 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:09 am As Greg says I think one should be a long stud. This is where a bolt can be used with the head tacked to the housing to allow tightening once assembled. Relying on memory from a long time ago.
Cheers
Clay

I'll be putting it together tonight so will sus it out.
FB-Special
Holley sniper EFI.
Ek auto column shift.