harvs ek 327 wagon

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Devilrod
State: VIC

Re: harvs ek 327 wagon

Post by Devilrod »

Harv wrote:
Maybe this stuff is hereditary :lol: .

Cheers,
Harv
There's something in that I reckon Harv. I'd hide all keys....
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
the rocket
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by the rocket »

Hi Harv, How close does your front brake caliper come to hitting the front end? Mine at full lock hits the shock tower. It's a rear rack with wb calipers.

Rick
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

From memory it was OK, though I haven't had it at full lock in years.

My main drama with the calipers is the that the hoses foul on the fenderwell headers. I'll need to make up clamps and springs (similar to HR), but haven't worked out yet where to tie the springs back to. Need to put the guards back on and have a bit of a play.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Mick

Post by Mick »

Harv i've bought the springs and clips as per HR off ebay
when i did the HR van which had the same issue re hose on pipes i had to drill a hole in inner guard to put the spring to but i wasn't to fussed with looks though
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter
Harv

Post by Harv »

Thanks Mick. I'll keep my eye out for some eBay clips/springs. Worst comes to worst I'll make some up.

I'm not overly fussed with "surgical neatness" underneath the EK. This thing is going to do a hell of a lot of miles.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Got my HR spring thingies on a while back, but have had trouble with PhotoBucket. Piccies below:

Spent some time doing some of the fiddly bits on the guards and bonnet, ready to throw them on. The guard slashes are driving me nuts though... the little clippy insert things really do not want to go into the guard, and I'm frightened of forcing them. Apparantly the guard slashes are left hand, and right hand too - it would be just my luck to put them on backwards. The difference is subtle, but I bet it would drive me nuts. Anyone got a photo of an original guard please so I can see which way the slashes "go"?

Made up a rubber gasket out of an old bike tube to sit between the guard and subframe. Should have been an easy job, and I even saved a bit of the old gasket to act as a guide.... do you think I can find the damn thing? Looks like it will be fiddly to get the gasket to "sit" whilst putting the guard on. Are most people making a gasket, or doing without them?

Cheers,
Harv
thomos60
State: INT

Post by thomos60 »

G'day Harv,
I can not help you with the "slashes" as mine has star's, although I purchased some new stars and they came with the little clippy inserts, but originally my my stars were held on by some spring metal clips, then there was a dollop of putty over the clip on the inside of the guard, please see photo,

the gasket between the sub frame and the guard, please find photo of the original, also photo of what I have went with, I have went with a Wurth product, it comes in a tape, about 1 inch wide, it comes in a roll and has a paper backing both sides, its soft and can be formed to any shape and does not go hard.

hope this helps regards
Thomo.
Attachments
20160318_185014.jpg
20160318_185014.jpg (73.25 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
20170124_091914.jpg
20170124_091914.jpg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 1236 times
20170124_092105.jpg
20170124_092105.jpg (55.98 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Harv
FC site has info on this too. Can't remember who used an extrusion from Clark rubber and punched holes in it. Appeared to work well.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Harv

Post by Harv »

Thanks gents. The slashes originally had one "square tube" type clip (that inserts into the guard), and one "tiny bit of punched plate" on the back. I'm thinking I may end up running no clips (as the slashes are fairly tight) and just using some stickyflex. Just got to work out which way round they go.

Cheers,
Harv
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

I used stuff from Clark Rubber - it was almost an exact fit.
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Dave came round yesterday, and we got the guards and bonnet on. I managed to forget the cup washers/seals from the trailing edge of the guard... need to dig some more out of the spare parts stash. Gotta be some in the shed somewhere. Hoping they are not under the house with the spooders. Looks like Rares doesn't list them. I ended up using some 20" bike tubes for the guard/subframe gasket - worked OK, but a bit fiddly to get it to sit right.

Car looks a lot different... heaps wider at the front. Dave ran the buff over one guard, and the paint "popped" again. Looks damn nice, even in the shade. Will post some photos once PhotoBucket starts talking to me again.

Number 1 Son managed to "evaporate" in the middle of the job... too hot for him. He has a job today sanding and polishing guard trims :sourrr: .

Got the little tube clips into the guard (Dave is braver than I am with a hammer on freshly painted guards). Need to get the little slashes mounted, though still don't know which way they go (there is a left and a right hand slash... difference is subtle but noticeable). Can someone (pretty please) post a close-up photo of a set of original EK guard slashes so I can work out the orientation?

Cheers,
Harv
Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Looking forward to the pictures Harv :thumbsup:
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

I just went and checked my guard stash Harv, unfortunately none of them have the slashes on them, this is the best I could manage mate, not sure if it will help at all ...... it would appear they are wider at the top ?????

You should have built an FB :P :lol: :lol:

When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Thanks Blacky.

They have a big pin, and a little pin so you can't put them on upside down. The drama is that the left and the right hand sides "slope" different, and can be interchanged. Hard to explain, and when fitted both orientations look correct, even though there is definitely a correct way.

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Not the best of photos, but I got distracted. The house A/C shat itself... 47oC on the back verandah, 37oC inside the house :( . We grew up without A/C, but I got soft over the last 40 years.

Got the radiator support brace in, though had to push the subframe/guards out a little to ease the brace down without scratching the guards. Not an easy job solo, so used the Poor Mans PortaPower to push (gently) on the subframe:
Don't worry, that lower grille brace is loose, not holding the guards together. And no laughing at my pink fluffy rags... they came from Dave's house.

Stone tray is in:

Still got to find some more cup washers for the guard trailing edges, then shove it around (gently) to even up the gaps and tighten it all down.

Cheers,
Harv