The BLK-CAR

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Devilrod
State: VIC

Re: The BLK-CAR

Post by Devilrod »

I always thought that's normal Blacky! Isn't that what everyone does?
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
BLKCAR
State: NSW

Post by BLKCAR »

Haha Blacky thats a gift!

Every time we go out country I'm always looking out for some old rusty wreck to discover, then fully option out and paint in my head hoping one day I'll find an XA superbird coupe...

Lime glaze paint, white trim, hot 302 v8 with 4 speed and big fat rubber with bathurst globes...

Tell him he's dreamin!!

Bout to go prime up the fronts

Enjoy your Sundays
Name says it all watch out for BLK CAR ek on the road..... In a few years
BLKCAR

Post by BLKCAR »

waiting for paint to dry

heres this!

http://www.lajsiab.com/TnF6RjJJZnlfSGMx
BLKCAR

Post by BLKCAR »

There are some things about your car that make it yours, just like an old house - you have to kick the door in a certain spot for it to open.

Mine is every time I jack it up from the front it leans over to the drivers side rear because of her flat tire. You see her poking out of the roller door smiling her no teeth/grille grin, completely stripped and leaning over.. makes me giggle

Probably can't see her lean

This is how she sits at the minute while I figure out how to strip the roof.

Any ideas welcome;
I don't want to strip it because of all the rust pitting on it which the stripper will get into and not come out of,
Tried the coral strip-it disc, heats up and clogs up and is too harsh on the steel,
Tried wire wheel on a drill but no go either

Thinking I'll try the wire cup brush on the grinder, failing that I'll get a non-cup wire brush for the grinder and if all that doesn't strip it I will be making a convertible! :lol: :lol:

Headlining will come out soon but for now slab for the shed is priority, if it ever warms us and stops raining...

Cheers!
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

36 grit and some time sanding. That's how I did mine.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
BLKCAR

Post by BLKCAR »

Thanks Devidrod,

Rain forecast all week here so no shed slab :frown:

Sanding time it is :oops:

Cheers
BLKCAR

Post by BLKCAR »

So heres a funny story

I was throwing rocks through a little v in a tree 20 metres away and dad was watchin so after 2 throws and misses I was like well give me $68 towards that dent puller (dad already owes me the other $20 from a bet) if I get it through the v, so seeing my failed attempts he goes your own. I throw it hits one half of the v and rebounds in... :lol: :lol:

The dent puller I'm thinking is one of the glue tap puller (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Paintless-De ... 2a510fd427) - I've learnt my lesson with the slide hammer from supercheap after drilling 4 holes in 3 doors and pulling the dents out, but leaving me with big ridges around the holes where the slide hammer pulled the hardest and holes in the steel which are about 7mm in diameter (big big big big big big big big mistake :oops: :oops: )

If there's a better product that's not too expensive like the one that welds a pin to the steel that anyone could recommend that would be awesome

And for the holes in the doors I'm thinking to tap down the ridges to give a flat surface to weld a little plate into then grind off the weld and then as much as I'd hate to say it bog, but bogs alright up to 1/8" thick

Or there's the way the hotrod guys fill holes in the firewall - getting a bar of flat metal (brass or something) under the hole and filling the hole with weld bit by bit being careful not to create to much heat at a time

Fixing mistakes but learning

Cheers
BILLY BLACKARROW

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

You're going to run out of money at that rate, doors have plenty of room inside to knock most dents out invest in a panel beaters kit and that will do most of your work and will come in a lot handyer than a dent pull, as for the holes you already made the best way I know is to back it up with a brass or copper piece of thick metal and slowly weld in the hole and keep the heat down use a wet rage a lot to cool it down there is no need to rush grind of the high spots use the edge of the grinding wheel as not to grind the area around the hole and make it thin hope this makes sense. Iam not a (panel beater) but try it on a bit of scrap to get the hang of it .-- We all had to learn by our mistakes even the pros stuffed up when they were leaning and keep plodding along.
It 's good to see a young bloke having a go. You will get a lot of criticism as you go listen and take in the best of it disregard the rest.
Ok I have said my bit others may have a better way.
BILLY :arrow:
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
BLKCAR

Post by BLKCAR »

Awesome thank you Billy exactly what I wanted to know! :D

Doing a CIT course soon which will teach me how to mig and the basics on panel beating, hoping to do all rust and dent repairs myself to make it a bit cheaper

but its gonna be black so I might leave a couple for someone who knows their stuff hahaha

Cheers!
BLKCAR

Post by BLKCAR »

Well the end of another holidays! :(

I've been chipping away at the roof with a strip it disc after I figured out how to properly use it. It's working well and getting paint, undercoat and rust off the roof all at the same time so its pretty effective.

This is how she sits at the minute:

She's being put on the backburner for now and next time you see her she'll be tucked away in her new shed. Which I'm "hoping" will be done within 6 or 7 weekends.

Cheers!
1962SSImpala
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by 1962SSImpala »

Hey Jack, it's Carl from the panel beating course. I cruised past the tip today and it looks like the EJ has gone. So unless you came out and got it, it looks like you've missed out. See ya next week.

Cheers, Carl

p.s. my mobile is 0418 798 142
BLKCAR

Post by BLKCAR »

Hey Carl!

Just looked thru all your old pics! AWESOME!! U weren't kidding about the lines and lines of FB/EK's! Unbelievable!

Bugger! Dads working this weekend so Me and Mum were going to go for a drive up a do some pilfering!

Cya Tuesday
BLKCAR

Post by BLKCAR »

Well the shed hasn't been built yet :( (hopefully over the christmas holidays) and I've got my P-Plater car! 2006 &*#@ Courier, 4x4, turbo-diesel, single cab. I'll be repainting the tray and putting new rims on it eventually.

Anyway...

Doing the 2nd half of the CIT welding course, where we are smashing up a door and file finishing it. My boss is an 'old school panel beater' and has given me heaps of tips and is willing to give me a hand if and when I need help! Car is in liquid lanolin, my boss's suggestion to rust proof it til I get around to priming it, and will stay that way until course is done and rust is all cut out.

I've also wire wheeled the floors back and found more rust but the floors are a good spot to start rust repairs as no-one will see them!!

Cheers guys, more updates in 2 or 3 months :thumbsup:
Eeek
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Eeek »

This is looking cool. We should be able to get some good pix with the Black FB and EK at the nationals next year hopefully. 8) 8)
THE BLACK EK SHALL RIDE AGAIN!
BLKCAR

Post by BLKCAR »

Not a chance next year as much as I'd hate to say :( going into year 11 next year and she won't has as much attention :( Maybe 2017 ;) Eeek I'm watching your build with envy!!