Seagull Grey EK 2106

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

rosco
State: VIC

Re: Seagull Grey EK 2106

Post by rosco »

Thanks Harv,
are the two screens laminated?
I am looking forward to you posting on how the Better Rubber moldings fit into the vehicle.

frats,
Rosco
Craig Allardyce

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Harv wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:29 am Timely.

The Rares rubber was a very sloppy fit on the screen... feels to big. Wont stay stuck to the screen, and won't hold the stainless by itself. Two sharp corners are moulded in to the rubber, the two less-sharp corners are not.

Thinking about getting another Better Rubber one.

Cheers,
Harv
Yes Harv, found the same and was thinking ones I've done way back where a tighter fit on the screen.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Nope, not laminated, they are both miracle glass ( it will be a miracle if I get them in without breaking them).
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

This windscreen saga is worthy of its own thread. Is anyone using or aware if the factory sealant is still available at your local Holden parts counter or elsewhere?
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

Errol62 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:50 pm This windscreen saga is worthy of its own thread. Is anyone using or aware if the factory sealant is still available at your local Holden parts counter or elsewhere?
Cheers
Clay
When th e"experts" put the screen in my ute I asked them about why they werent using mastic in the rubber when fitting the screen and I was told "its old technology, we dont use that anymore"

Guess what , it leaks ....... :evil:
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv

Post by Harv »

SunnyTim wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:57 amIf anyone can find a mastic.product let me know also. The product I use has changed over the last 10 years to now be a silicone that sets (dries) in less than 2 hours, whereas in the last it remained soft and plyable for years.
Bunnings sells tubes of mastic (grey, black and white) in their paint department, though I'm not sure if they would suit a windscreen. I've used them for the fuel tank in the wagon, the tub of the ute and the scuttle panels in the wagon and ute. Nice to use, kero clean up and has set just like the older mastics used to.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Craig Allardyce

Harv wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:10 am
SunnyTim wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:57 amIf anyone can find a mastic.product let me know also. The product I use has changed over the last 10 years to now be a silicone that sets (dries) in less than 2 hours, whereas in the last it remained soft and plyable for years.
Bunnings sells tubes of mastic (grey, black and white) in their paint department, though I'm not sure if they would suit a windscreen. I've used them for the fuel tank in the wagon, the tub of the ute and the scuttle panels in the wagon and ute. Nice to use, kero clean up and has set just like the older mastics used to.

Cheers,
Harv
As Harv says Tim, Bunnings is were I get mine. Selleys Black Mastic. Not all Bunnings stores have it down our way but it listed online. I used the same stuff on my tailight housings on the FB. Still good and plyable to this day.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/selleys-400 ... t_p1234715
rosco

Post by rosco »

Bunnings sell a "butyl-mastic" - I have used it extensively on my old bus.
The windscreen mechanic who fitted my rear screen about 10 years back used butyl-mastic, but from his own stocks.

frats,
Rosco
Harv

Post by Harv »

Yep, the Bunnings butyl-mastic in the internet link is the stuff I'm thinking about.

Cheers,
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

Dumb question... how does the rear screen go into a ute?

The original rubber was 3-piece - hoop around the opening, then two “straps” between the curved ends and centre glass. The straps have steel backing plates that bolt through them. The Rares rubber is one piece - hoop and straps moulded together.

Assemble all glass and rubber (like a windscreen) and use rope to roll it in? Put the rubber in the opening then install glass (like a HQ ute)? Curved bits first?

Cheers,
Harv
Craig Allardyce

No idea Harv, I've never done a ute rear screen. Watching with interest though for later on. :nerdie:
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Like wise interested Harv. Not in the manual?
Appreciate all the info on the sealant folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Hamlet
State: QLD

Post by Hamlet »

The rear screen in a Ute is reasonable easy to install, as Harv says assemble the glass and the rubber the same as the front screen. Leave the straps out until installed with the cord (they go in really easily). The straps then tighten the whole screen, the worst part is there being three sections, it tends to flop around until sitting in place. There is also a very good flexible windscreen sealer made by Wurth, it's called "Glass Sealer Dab Off" and as the name implies, it simply dabs off when pulled or if you have a wad of Dab Off simply push it into itself and it dabs off. It never hardens and is great for sticking the waterproof membrane under the door cards or under the panels in the tub of a Ute. The only problem with it is the cost, I think it's about $25 a tube. Tim, you've seen the Dab Off at my place.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Thanks Hamlet - appreciated.
Hamlet wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:46 pmThe rear screen in a Ute is reasonable easy to install, as Harv says assemble the glass and the rubber the same as the front screen. Leave the straps out until installed with the cord (they go in really easily). The straps then tighten the whole screen
So for the Rares one-piece rubber (straps moulded to the hoop), I wonder:
a) if you cut the straps out (ie make straps and hoop separate like an original rubber), install glass+hoop, then push in straps and install steel backing plates over straps, or
b) leave straps and hoop as one unit, let the straps moosh around until the glass+hoop is in, then push in straps and install steel backing plates over straps.

Cheers,
Harv
Hamlet
State: QLD

Post by Hamlet »

Hey Harv, option B is the only way to go, if you cut the straps out, it'll leak like a sieve. I maybe wrong, but from what I can remember, the original rubbers were one piece as is the Rare Spares, I have a old Ute in the backyard that I would say is totally original and the rubber out of that is one piece. Years before Rares did the Ute rear rubber, I have made them up with the straps separate but you had to use heaps of sealer to stop it leaking. My Ute has a 15 year old Rares rubber and it is as good as the day it originally went in, I've had it out and was going to replace it when I sourced better glass but it was in perfect condition so I used it again. I don't often give a lot of praise to some of Rares' stuff, but their rear seal is a goodie - the front one, well...................... I used a Better Rubber seal with an O'Brien laminated screen and it fits quite well with no leaks.