Seagull Grey EK 2106

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Re: Seagull Grey EK 2106

Post by Craig Allardyce »

G'day Rosco, yes I probably should but I dont think it'll be that much an issue considering the "great" aero dynamics that the ute already has lol. I've really got bugger all time to get it all done before we set off in late May so any additionals wont happen. Considering I work every second week away the time is halved as well so it works out to be about 6 or 7 weeks to go. Still got more to do on the teardrop and yet to have sorted the annex out. Then it'll be all the other pre travel prep as well.
For what it's worth the worst mileage I've ever got towing the boat was about 18mpg in terrible weather and very hilly conditions so either way I'll be carrying fuel.
rosco

Post by rosco »

18 is pretty darned good in weather like that with a 1 ton boat in tow, Craig.....Our almost annual November trip to Lakes with a fully loaded boat behind the grey was usually around the 22 mark - but only at 50 - 55 mph.
Two Jerry's would be my suggested fuel for the long stretches - mainly from Penong to Border Village, it was 318 miles the last time I went west - the new road might be a bit shorter, but probalby not by a great deal.
Two Jerry's would get you from one side to the other plus the Ute tank full...... There's some big stretches in WA as well, but I don't believe the price of fuel is as bad as the SA bowsers - there must be some additive from Kal ... by the price they charge for it.
End of the day, it's part of the cost of making the trip - it was put to me once that fuel is the cheapest part of running a vehicle... if fuel is your only costs for the crossing - you've done well.

Our last trip across was west to east, having circumnavigated the western half of Oz... we came home across the plain with the wind on our tail... pick your day to travel, and you'll do both yourselves and your rig a great favor - it might not make such a huge difference with a teardrop on behind - but I can tell you that a full frontal sized aluminium "parachute" plays havoc in any headwind.. or any coming up from the south off the coast. The price of Diesel was terrible in the SA part of that crossing... it wasn't a lot better in the latter half of the WA part - but SA bowsers acros the bight were the worst on the entire 24k trip up the guts to Darwin and across to Derby then down the WA coast.....

Did you end up finding a UHF?... and have you used it in your local area - you'll pick up trucks "talking" as they run the Princes... you'll learn the "lingo" ...... "hotplate" is an RTA inspection station... hot or cold is the usual term used. "Flash for cash" is a mobile speed camera, a "quiet one" is an unmarked Police car, "Rigid" is a small non-articulated truck.... "Wobbly" is a caravan...... it goes on and on.... you'll find this entertaining as one truckie spills the beans to the other. They often barb each other about how much work they have picked up. Language is bluer than the sky on a summer day - the long haul blokes keep it pretty tame, but the short haul truckies would not be able to string a conversation together without expletives. The local "kiddies corner" from around 16:00 onwards is an absolute disgrace near cities or large towns... we turn ours off if we are still on the road around then near a city... it's just rubbish. Never been able to work out why it starts up around then.... maybe it's the kids who get out of school who jump on the CB and set these idiots ablaze with stupid antics..... "click" and you leave them all behind.

Ok, you've got stuff to do if you are down to only six or seven weeks of time left. I bet the "away" time gives you plenty to plan - must be frustrating not to be able to get your hands on stuff in your shed....

frats,
Rosco
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

We never bother carrying jerrys, there are plenty of fuel stops - the only one on the maps that doesnt exist any more is Yalata between I think Nundroo and Nullarbor. If you are super cautious maybe a 10 litre jerry ??
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Current Adelaide fuel prices diesel 139.9, unleaded 119.9. Penong diesel 141.9, unleaded 134.9. Lately the prices at Pt Augusta have been cheaper than town. Petrol is up and down but diesel pretty steady.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
rosco

Post by rosco »

Thanks fella's,
be keen to learn what the price of ULP is on the plain.
I don't believe I'd even consider a trip across without at least one 20L Jerry.... but, that's me - there is no way I'd risk having only the 9 1/2 gallon tank to get me across.
Craig has the advantage of the ute - the only time these Jerry's would be full is over and back, you simply wouldn't carry full ones around in civilisation.

Your call, I post only what is applicable to me.... we only had a 76 litre tank in the Hilux - and I carried three 20 litre Jerry's in the outback - fuel consumption with the van behind the Hilux was around 15 L/100... 18.8 mpg..... I used two of the three on many occasions when prices were too strong for my liking.... gave me about another 250 km's to find a better proposition.

Also gave me a bit of insurance that I had fuel if a hose split or a rock went through the bottom of the tank..... the Nullabor and stretches both sides of it should be considered as black-top outback...

My thoughts....

frats,
Rosco
Craig Allardyce

Thanks everyone. All good points regarding fuel use and where it's available. I did have a good yak with a bloke who did the same trip a few years ago towing a teardop behind a FC ute (stock grey). He said with the wind (he copped head winds going there and coming home) that he barely made the 200km behind fuel stops. That equates to 13 mpg! I think I'll be right with the worst I've ever achieved at 18mpg but I will take 1 jerry can.
Rosco no about the UHF. Haven't got to that yet. This Lowline canopy is starting to be my nemisis. I've never worked with aluminium and probably never will again lol!
rosco

Post by rosco »

Hi Craig,
wise decision.
Aluminium - yes, funny stuff. Do you have an AC/DC pulse TIG?... when you weld it, back off once the stuff starts to shimmer - or you'll find it will turn to a blob and fall on your boots.
Rivetting works well with aluminium - hiding the rivet heads is the tricky bit.
When you come to paint it, make certain that you use the correct etch primer (yellow/green stuff). It has to etch into the surface and stop it from oxidising - or paint will simply fall off it in time. Think it's called zinc-chromate... paint supplier will put you onto the right stuff.

13 mpg in an FC?.... he must have been pounding it. Mind you, don't know what was in the FC... multi-carbs and a cam are not really suited to towing..... good way of lightening the load in the rear of the vehicle quickly.

Ok, back over to you....

frats,
Rosco
Craig Allardyce

No welding Rosco, just panel beating. The canopy has had a hard time. What I thought was a good finish turned out to be crap when I finally put the primer on so its back to beating, filling and sanding. The hard part is the aluminium grows as you beat it an creates rises/lumps around the dent you've knocked. I think it needs a real light hand and slow and meticulous approach. With time fleeting it's hard to not rush it.
The FC was a stocky....I think you know Kevin Clarence....was his set up.
13226768_10208217568290006_1655383646163490338_n[1].jpg
13226768_10208217568290006_1655383646163490338_n[1].jpg (98 KiB) Viewed 496 times
rosco

Post by rosco »

Thanks Craig,
you probably know more about panel beating than I - but I have a special dolly which shrinks the panel.... used for taking bulges out of metal which has stretched - I have not used it on aluminium, but found that it does work on thin steel sheet.
It's called a "shrinking" dolly - might be worth chasing up.

Also, you can heat steel to "shrink" it back into shape - cherry red.... not so sure that you can do this with aluminium - I don't know how the stuff works under heat.... but do know, too much and you have a "casting" at your feet.
Once you have that blob - you can hammer it all day to flatten it out to something useful again (sic).
When welding aluminium, it does show up "red/yellow" from the mask....... I don't know what color it is in actual view.... but it "shimmers" when it's about to let go - take away the heat and it quickly settles down again..... it's a mongrel of a metal to weld - even with a very expensive TIG..... not many back-yarders can do it with a lot of confidence - pro's can, but they are working with the stuff almost on a daily basis. My experience has only been with ali bar and rod - I get into enough trouble with that, don't think it will be anytime soon that I'd be game enough to tackle thin ali sheet..... welding in AC gives off a terrible noise like a turbine ripping away inside - but is necessary to weld ali...... it needs to "burn" from both poles of the weld - adding welding rod into the flame and pool without touching either is like dripping solder into a created pool of solder....without the solder touching the soldering iron or the joint - it's an artform in itself - far beyond my limited abilities for the near future...

Ok, so the FC was a stocky - wow... I'd be having kittens at it gulping up fuel at 13 mpg with only that little teardrop on the back.....

In all our travels towing with a grey and a 3:89 diff - we never did that bad.... up mountains and into headwinds - I'm thinking there's got to be something we don't know about either the FC or the van here..... 13 maybe, if it was hauling a 1 1/2 ton bondwood full height van into the wind..... but not a teardrop..... and, being a stocky with only a single BXOV carby and being a manual as well..... something not right there, in my opinion - you can't drive along the road full time at full throttle to get those figures - not with a little van like that - unless you were "canonballing".

frats,
Rosco
Craig Allardyce

All back together bar the windows. Panelled as best as I'll ever get it, some filler here and there (converted most of it to dust), and first coat of ech primer today. Hoping to get first coat of acrylic on this week. It's a but of a "yawn" post but it's all I've got for the moment.

EK gets a laminated screen Sat morn. Really hope the original doesn't bust on the way out.

I'm up for any tips from those that have painted using acrylic too.

Pic_0207_199.jpg
Pic_0207_199.jpg (76.49 KiB) Viewed 461 times
rosco

Post by rosco »

looks pretty good, Craig - in the pic....
Acrylic?... do you really want me to post on spray painting? - the forum has just taken a deep breath (again).

frats,
Rosco
Craig Allardyce

rosco wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:52 pm looks pretty good, Craig - in the pic....
Acrylic?... do you really want me to post on spray painting? - the forum has just taken a deep breath (again).

frats,
Rosco
Fill ya boots Rosco, they dont have to read it and I'm happy to learn from others.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Hi Craig
I’m enjoying following your antics as ever. Laminated screens are all very well I suppose as long as it fits okay. They are not for this back yarder however as they crack too easy for my ham fistedness. If I was getting a new screen and had a choice I would get the old zone toughened type. I have four reasonable ones here so it’s academic anyway. I guess your current one is scratched.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EK van on rotisserie
Craig Allardyce

Thanks for the offer Clay. My original Armour Plate screen is good, I'm just replacing it with a laminated one for the Perth trip. I'd rather cop a bullseye or crack with the laminated screen than a lap full of glass with the old one and being stuck for days or Kms with nothing. I'm not the best looking anyway so a few more miles without a windscreen wouldn't worry me. The good wife however would not be pleased if we had to do the Nularbor without one!
The old screen will be tucked away for later refit.
Errol62

Seagull Grey EK 2106

Post by Errol62 »

Reminds me of a story, yawn. Heading north out of Port Pirie one fine morning on a job in the EK “Standard” Sedan (186, 4 Spd etc). Put the hammer down as we overtook a car and trailer. On the wrong side of highway 1 doing 70 mph and bang, the screen turns to milk. Just a small hole low to the right of my field of view to spy the road ahead and pull over. Bashed it out and motored back to Pirie where a second hand screen was sourced from local wrecker, fitted and off we went to work up the road. Luckily the rubber was practically new and FB EK wrecks were relatively abundant back in the late eighties. Back home I had my panel and paint man source a brand new zone toughened screen and install it properly. Later it was broken by a mate who replaced with a laminated screen. This never fit properly, it was too wide for the opening. In removing it, it cracked top to bottom, thence ran a good second hand screen ever since. Still awake?
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EK van on rotisserie