Seagull Grey EK 2106

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Re: Seagull Grey EK 2106

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Ok, front screen is in again and is all good with a new rubber (NOT RARE SPARES).
The replacement rubber had to be stretched to get it on, there where no overlaps at the bonded corner joins, and the screen almost fell in. No banging or bashing. It slid in nicely with just gentle pulling on the rope and palm press on the screen.

I will be taking the Rare Spares rubber back for a refund!
Craig Allardyce

It used to be good when Les McVeigh used to chime in on our posts with some advise or help but now since his passing...............
Sadly the attitude at the front counter of my closest store is quite poor regarding sorting problems with the quality of parts.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

Hamlet wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:22 pmHey Harv, option B is the only way to go, if you cut the straps out, it'll leak like a sieve. I maybe wrong, but from what I can remember, the original rubbers were one piece as is the Rare Spares, I have a old Ute in the backyard that I would say is totally original and the rubber out of that is one piece.
Thankyou. The rubber I pulled out of Grace's ute had the straps separate, and looked to be an old one. I presumed it was originally 3-piece, but it could have been cut up at some stage.
Craig Allardyce wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:21 pm and the screen almost fell in. No banging or bashing. It slid in nicely with just gentle pulling on the rope and palm press on the screen.
I really hope my two go in like that.
SunnyTim wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:00 pmI sent an email to Rate Spares on Sunday to their head office explaining my issue in that after fitting more than 30 screens over the years something was amiss with this fitment, and my intuition pointed to the rubber - asking them if they had any thoughts or position.........Crickets so far!
I've got a 2nd Better Rubber in the mail, and am going to try returning the Rares rubber in a fortnight via the Sydney store. They are normally pretty good if a part is obviously not up to scratch.

Les was really responsive to issues, either via PM or email. Haven't tried since he passed away though. Buried somewhere in my old emails is the Rares technician who did the legwork for Les... will have to see if I can find him again.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Craig Allardyce

Yep that's it Tim.
Craig Allardyce

Hey Tim, not sure if you already do this but I've found cleaning down the excess off the body with kero is a whole heap better than Thinners. Just wet a cloth, wipe of the bulk of it, dont worry if it leaves a light smear or smudge. Hit the rest with window cleaner and all good. Thinners tends to disolve the stuff more and spread it everywhere.
Craig Allardyce

Arrhhhhhhhh...........bloody paint!
3rd time now and I can't seem to stop the paint from dusting off on the top of the canopy.
Getting annoyed as I'm doing test coats on another aluminium panel prep'd just the same and it's glossing off the gun. Once I hit the canopy the it looks to go on wet but dulls off quickly and the more I do the worse it gets i.e. start on the sides - dull, by the time I get to the top - powdery and rough.
I'm starting to think my hose is the issue as it's a 30m reel and I'm loosing flow after the first hit. It's also slightly smaller in diameter 8mm compared to the usual 10mm. I'm also suss on the acrylic thinners and I think its flashing off too quick.
Tomorrow I'm going to try general purpose thinners and a larger/shorter hose off the compressor.

Can someone also tell me if Acrylic is suppossed to go flat once the thinners have evaporated off? I'm reading conflicting stories!
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Craig,

Try adjusting the paint amount on the gun, its the adjustment with the trigger pull, the more you need to pull the trigger in the wetter and more volume of paint comes out. It sounds like the paint is drying to quickly from the nozzle.

It can be a bugger to get it right.

Regards Greg
So many cars so little time!
Craig Allardyce

Thanks Greg, the gun volume is opened right up.

Tim, I've gone from 1.5 parts thinners to 1 part paint down to just below 1 :1 to the extent it was too heavy for the gun. Apparently the thinners is for "high gloss". I'm also spraying fairly close and not too fast. As I said my test piece is all good but when I get to the Canopy it all seems to dry off flat and gets worse as I go. My compressor isn't a small one either! I wouldn't say I'm getting a heavy coat at anytime on the canopy.
Could spraying vertical or horizontal have that much effect. I've checked the gun vent, pick up tube direction also.
Craig Allardyce

All sorted. Was the thinners. Changed to multipurpose thinners, used my large air hose, and concentrated like buggary on my speed and distance. Cant believe the difference from yesterday. Drying time now and cut back next week.
Last edited by Craig Allardyce on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Harv wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:20 am
SunnyTim wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:00 pmI sent an email to Rate Spares on Sunday to their head office explaining my issue in that after fitting more than 30 screens over the years something was amiss with this fitment, and my intuition pointed to the rubber - asking them if they had any thoughts or position.........Crickets so far!
I've got a 2nd Better Rubber in the mail, and am going to try returning the Rares rubber in a fortnight via the Sydney store. They are normally pretty good if a part is obviously not up to scratch.

Les was really responsive to issues, either via PM or email. Haven't tried since he passed away though. Buried somewhere in my old emails is the Rares technician who did the legwork for Les... will have to see if I can find him again.
Returned the sloppy windscreen rubber to Rares last weekend. No drama at all - they were happy to refund it. They did a quick check, and there is no "product query/recall/hold" on the rubbers... suspect head office hasn't digested Tim's email yet. Will see if I can find a better Rares contact in head office through my old emails.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Craig Allardyce

Thanks Harv, I sent a letter last week.....................nothing yet!
Craig Allardyce

Ok, a good win the other day. Finally got a reply from Rares over the rubber. They did a full refund including the freight and didn't want to see the rubber. They were also great about discussing the issues with the rubber and rectifying the problems. From intial thoughts they think it was a batch run problem so hopefully it shouldn't happen again later on.

This week we finally did a shakeout run with the camper prior to the Nats. All went well especially with the climb to Mt Hotham. It was a good work out for the old bus and after this the WA should be a walk in the park......................touch wood.
The attachment IMGP7724.JPG is no longer available
IMGP77582.JPG
IMGP77582.JPG (156.66 KiB) Viewed 534 times
Attachments
IMGP7724.JPG
IMGP7724.JPG (1.42 MiB) Viewed 534 times
briby

Post by briby »

Well done Craig, love that colour combo, we had a Gilflite ski boat except white over grey with a red stripe. Wish I was coming, getting more jealous about a long trip each day.
A place for everything and everything in it's place, just can't remember where that place is.
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Hi Craig,
Nice one. Would love to see some more pics of your van set up.
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
59wagon
State: WA

Post by 59wagon »

That’s gonna be the coolest rig on the Nullarbor, Craig. Well done.

Cheers,

John