NZ EK resto - Starting at the bottom

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Mick Jagger
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: NZ EK resto - Starting at the bottom

Post by Mick Jagger »

on the flat areas I used josco strip it discs
as others have said I wouldn't let anyone touch the "flat" areas
cheers
kmawic
Usand41971
State: INT

Post by Usand41971 »

I have been in discussions with my engine builder and he has asked me to get all the part i need to keep the cost down.

Can anyone help with the best place to get them.

Piston & Ring set .030
Main bearing .030
Big end bearing .040
Oil pump kit
Bushes for gudgens
Complete gasket set
Alloy cam gear

He also said that I should put on an external oil filter on the grey any thoughts??? He is also doing work on the head, port & polish, new valves, anything else that would help with smooth running???

Also looking for a supplier of some thin line white wall tyres 185 x 70 x 13...

Thanks
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

If it was mine, I would not bother with the external oil filter. They filter only a very small percentage of the oil each pass, compared to the full-flow system fitted to later GMH engines. More beneficial to increase the frequency of oil changes slightly. More info here on them if you want to go that way though:
http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... lter+guide

Avoid the alloy timing gear if you can - steel is preferable as some guys using the alloy gears have had the inner steel bushing separate from the alloy gear under load. More info on the timing gears here:
http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... 25&t=13931

If you're looking for smooth running, not a bad idea to give the carb a clean-out and kit.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Usand41971

Post by Usand41971 »

Thanks Harv....

Yes that was my thoughts, use a good oil and change more often....

The ek will have twin carbs on it and they will be completely recond and setup.....i wish it could be a daily driver but i am only 2 kms from work so it will be a weekend cruiser only...

Has anyone got any likes or dislike on the "Aussiespeed" exhaust manifolds for the grey that are for sale on Ebay??? didn't want to use just standard headers..

Cheers Darryl
Trev

Post by Trev »

Your mechanic may have meant doing a full flow oil filter system?
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
Usand41971

Post by Usand41971 »

Is that possible on a grey..... not keen on having a remote oil filter....
Harv

Post by Harv »

It's possible to run full-flow oiling on a grey, and not overly hard to do. Checkout that link above for the oil filters - page 28 of the Guide has a good write-up on how to do it.

I like the AussieSpeed manifolds - very similar to the Jack Meyers and Kleinig counterparts, and about 1/2 the price.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
vmx-mxr

Post by vmx-mxr »

Here you go Darryl.
Craig is one organised fella - check out his approach to full flow filtration here
http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtop ... r&start=75
Nothing trick about it
Dave Mac
Usand41971

Post by Usand41971 »

Well, still moving forward and just got my 138 back from the engine builders, the bore was original with 0.007 wear so he went 0.030 oversized pistons and rings, had to pull all three of my grey engines down to find a crank that we could get bearings for 0.040 over.....Head has had a little work and cam has had a mild grind also, will be running twin BVOX-1 carbs and the Aussie speed headers.....

Didn't know what the original colour of the car was as it was painted cream but after travelling through this forum i found something very similar to the paint that was under the rear tail lights and the chrome moulds.....Wedgewood Blue with a Snowcrest white roof...Awesome.

The interior is a little brittle and unloved and by the looks of it it is Mephisto Red & Madison Grey.....would these be a likely combo??? I am painting the engine block gloss black with grey rocker cover side plate etc. etc. Can someone tell me the code for the grey paint as i will get these powder coated ????????

I have been buying a lot of this off ebay in oz and bringing back to NZ are there any other sites i should look at????

We have been renovating our house and section for the past 4 years and at the 95% stage so i will be able to spend a little more on the EK rather that sneaking bits here and there....

At least the Garage is nearing its completion 9 x 12, very hard to find tradesmen in Canterbury NZ due to the rebuild
Usand41971

Post by Usand41971 »

Hi does anyone know the code for the Grey paint for the engine???

Also when reassembling the front end what are the size of the spacers needed top and bottom???
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

I have always used PowerPlus engine enamel available in spraycans in Australia, the part number for the cans is PP427 , no idea if it would be available in powdercoat. The dimensions of rthe upper and lower wishbones are in the Workshop manual if you have one ?
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
EK DAZ

Post by EK DAZ »

Gidday mate, I use a two pac industrial paint from Altex called Gray Faris (Ferris ?) It's pretty close in colour and is hard as.
EK DAZ
Usand41971

Post by Usand41971 »

The engine builder has sent me some photos of how the 138 is progressing....

The crank was ground, block decked and bored, new everything, cam was ground to allow for the twin carb set up....Head was given a birthday as well, new springs, valves, ported and polished, stainless valve seats to run unleaded fuel(at $2.00 per litre)

Block is gloss black all bolt ons will be grey... twin Bovx carbs with a "monaro motors" manifold..
Usand41971

Post by Usand41971 »

IMG_1839.JPG
IMG_1839.JPG (72.23 KiB) Viewed 1635 times
Usand41971

Post by Usand41971 »

IMG_1840.JPG
IMG_1840.JPG (76.79 KiB) Viewed 1635 times