Neils Frankenstein Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

FireKraka
State: WA

Re: Neils Frankenstein Ute

Post by FireKraka »

Got some time in the workshop this weekend first since we have been back from overseas.
had to extend the underfloor braces and then fit the gearbox tunnel loop

The loop is a V6 Conversions one this is the same as I used in my FC Sedan.

Started to fit the tunnel and just have it tek screwed to where I think it needs to be, whoever put the other tunnel in has really made it a harder as the messed with the floor quite a bit. It may not end up pretty :whistlinggg: but I will try to get it as good as I can with my limited skills.

Regards
Neil (FireKraka)
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Well I've been making a bit of progress; I gave myself the nationals as a deadline to have it finished or at least on a trailer and then realised I had better pull my finger out sooooooooooooooo

I finished welding in the new tunnel it is not pretty but will do; it wasn't very easy to fit because of what had been done to the tunnel previously

Fitted my 3/4 chassis to help strengthen the floor

Started work on the repair to the passenger side inner sill it was only the piece from the B pillar back that was shot so used the piece below to do the repair which I thought came out ok
Crap inside as can be expected
The repair finished
Then tackled the outer sill; shaped it to fit first and held with vice grips to check
Then tacked ready to fully weld

Never thought I would be able to tackle thse sort of things by myself, now I have to move on to the passendger side which is basically the same condition.
Have to have the rolling shell to the panel and paint guy by January if I have any hope of getting it back before June and still have a lot to do. :shock: :crazy:
Regards
Neil
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Get into it !!!
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

I think I should have re read before I submitted that post I've just noticed I said I had to move on to the passenger side when obviously I meant the drivers side :crazy: :wtf:
Regards
Neil
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Also meant to mention that I have got my doors back from being repaired and modified to take one piece glass thanks to Trevor I have the template and will get the glass cut soon.
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Great progress Neil
I think I have found a place that makes a repair section for the ute/van lower skin between the b pillar and rear wheel arch if you're interested. I haven't got in touch with them yet. Place is called Retro Spares/Auto Cables.
Have you thought about how you will attach this section to the outer sill? I was thinking of welding it on prior to fitting the outer sill panel.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
Trev
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by Trev »

Your moving along nicely Neil, its good to have a goal to finish. I'll be watching and hope you make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[img]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f177/trevwood/WOOFTOsmall.jpg[/img]
Woofto Car Club Member No3
CHOPPED
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by CHOPPED »

looking good Neil
chopp it
HEY IT WASNT ME
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Hey Neil,
Looking good, maybe put a BBQ on and get the club to have a working bee that should get it moving!
Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Hi Guys thanks for the comments.
Clay I thought about putting that section in first but because I hadn't braced the cabin I was worried that if I cut that out and the sill pieces all at once I might create problems, the other side does not have to have the same repair so my issue is that I may have to lose the seem between the panel and the sill if so I will need to do the same on the other side, I've noticed on a couple of other utes that this is how you can tell that repair has been done if the seem exists or not; you are right I probably should have done it first :fin:

And I did buy the repair panels from those guys I think it was but they don't seem to have the slight curve from top to bottom and the end near the wheel well is not the same profile but I should be able to use some of it.

I think a BBQ and beers (after the work is done) wouild be a great idea Stephen I had better extract my digit and get my end of the work done first :yeahhh:

Regards
Neil
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Thanks for the info Neil. You should try and keep the seam imho. Then again I'm all for removing the front guard seam.
Cheers
Clay

EK van on rotisserie
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Well another productive workshop session working on the passenger side sill.
Passenger side sill, welds cleaned up and put in primer (paint still drying that is why different shades)

Drivers side old sill had more cancer than the Passenger side so had to use a longer repair section; thanks to EKMart for the sections.

Inner Sill repair completed

Outer sill shaped and fully welded in

Took some photos of the swiss cheese of the floor pan behind the cabin divider in the ute tray section all the usual places and have decided to replace the whole section instead of patching bits and pieces. Both sides are in the same shape and an attempt had already been made to replace some by the previous owner.

Regards
FireKraka
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Another weekend in the shed, I finished cleaning up the welds on the drivers side sill and then gave it a coat of primer.
Decided to move on to the fuel tank support; because i'm using a commodore tank with the intank fuel pump I needed to cut out some of the rear floor section, there had been a bad rust repair in one side anyway.
This is the new floor section

Because it is higher than the original tank height I rolled the back down to the wheel door which will be welded up anyway

Floor and tank support frame welded in just need to clean up the welds

Tank support frame inside ute area

A couple of small things to finish here, weld tank support inside in a couple of areas and then some capture nuts for the fuel tank support straps and then another thing ticked of the long list but much more to go.

Regards
Neil
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Good progress mate. That shape is familiar from another ute build recently on here.
Cheers
Clay

EK van on rotisserie
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Your right Clay plenty of guys have done the same it's about the best way to fit a commodore tank just make the frame to go around the flange area of the tank and then weld it into the modified floor it gives it plenty of strength only trouble is you have to cut the floor out and if you don't want to chop them up that much then you have to look at some other form of tank.

The commodore tank is a good mod it has the fuel pump in the tank as well as return line already there and fuel sender is part of the pump, it is relatively quite because it is in the tank, replacement parts are cheap and the pump pressure matches the engine without having to have regulators etc.

I also did this mod to my FC Sedan and remade the entire boot floor so that the tank sat under the floor and didn't loss any boot space.

Regards
Neil
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project