Neils Frankenstein Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

EK283
State: NSW

Re: Neils Frankenstein Ute

Post by EK283 »

Hey Neil,

That's the way practise practise !!

Believe me when I say it has taken me years to get the welding right, I even sold a welder because I was convinced it was a dud but guess what it was me !!! just no style.

Looking good and you are well on your way.

Greg
So many cars so little time!
Errol62
State: SA

Post by Errol62 »

Great stuff Neil. So there's hope for me yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Onya Neil,
Thanks for posting your progress. A big challenge that is coming together. There is so much to learn from this forum before we each tackle our own projects. Keep at it.

Regards
Stephen
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
FireKraka
State: WA

Post by FireKraka »

I got some time in my workshop on Sunday and concentrated on the passenger side.
Finished off the passwenger side floor and then tackled the edge of the firewall and the end of the inner sill.
My metal fabrication skills are not much but at least this will be out of site, might be a little better by the end but my welding to grinding ratio is still not improving :roll: :shock:
Then I decided to cut out the old floor hump and start on fitting the new for the TH700

Regards
Neil H
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
BILLY BLACKARROW

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

You are going to need a gear box tunnel support might be easier if you started with it out of the car , I had to make one and weld it in from under neath ( my overhead welding flat on my back isn't any good at all, I new a welding teacher so guess who got the job) :grinnn: :grinnn:
BILLY :arrow:
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Hi Neil,

Are you welding with the paint still on the edge ? I find that the welds splatter unless its absolutely free of rust and paint both sides. That epoxy is hard to shift even with the welding heat. Also try turning the heat up a touch and use shorter bursts that will make the bead a bit smaller, welding thin metal is very frustrating I must admit.

That looks pretty good what you have done.

I welded my tunnel brace in with the car upside down on the rotisserie it just makes it easier.

Regards Greg
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Thanks for the comments guys.
I have a tunnel brace and I will weld it in after I get the tunnel in the body is still on the rotis so should be ok.
It should position in the same spot as my FC Sedan as it is the same setup.

I will try to get the heat up on the welder as you say and yes the 2 pak is hard to move.

I also picked up an all most perfect tailgate on ebay last week just waiting for it to be delivered and I'm glad none of you guys noticed it or didn't need one it could have cost me a lot more if there were too many bidding :whistlinggg: :mehh:

Apparently the skin is the original one.

Regards
Neil
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

nice score - good tailgates are getting bloody hard to find for reasonable money
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Hey Greg do you mean turn the amps up or volts for more heat.
Regards
Neil
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
EK283

Post by EK283 »

Hi Neil,

My welder is adjustable with amps only, being a 240volt welder.

I sometimes have good success if I hold the torch closer to the weld as well. Like I said get a piece of scrap and muck around with it until you can melt the weld through and have a flatish spot, practice and be patient as it is a bastard to master. Some days I have to stuff around 3 or 4 times before I get the right setting and it also depends on the type and quality of steel as well. Have a look at you tube as well there is heaps about welding car panels.

That's pretty much how I taught myself.

Regards Greg
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Thanks Greg I have some scrap so I will knuckle down and get it sorted and you are right I'll try to get all the primer away from the edge before I attempt to weld.
I need to get it right because it looks like I may need to do the rear floor pans as well.
Regards
Neil
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
oz_ek
State: VIC

Post by oz_ek »

FireKraka wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:07 am Thanks Greg I have some scrap so I will knuckle down and get it sorted and you are right I'll try to get all the primer away from the edge before I attempt to weld.
I need to get it right because it looks like I may need to do the rear floor pans as well.
Regards
Neil

Where space allows, try using a copper plate or similar behind the weld gap, I find old soldering iron heads work well.
The MIG won't stick to the copper and it also acts as a heat sink.

Phil.
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Hey Neil
Might that nice tailgate be originally from an FC, just based on the badge holes?
Luvvn your progress. Your welding is about par with mine. At least you have mechanical nous, unlike myself.
Cheers
Clay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Hi Clay
Yes tailgate is FC if you look at where the latchs screw into the side you will see that they have 4 screws where the FB EK tailgate only has two on either side'

Decided to also start looking at the dash mod, seeing I am going to use a VT column I don't need positions for ignition, choke etc. so I'm going to replace the section.

I had another glove box lid a nd removed the outer as it is same profile

Tried to uload a couple of other picks but the host kept playing up but I'm sure everyone gets the idea :wink34:

Regards
Neil
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
60Special

Post by 60Special »

Great stuff Neil. I have a spare glovebox lid you can have if you need more steel.