Another EK Ute on SA Roads

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Re: Another EK Ute on SA Roads

Post by Blacky »

Dont forget mate, I still have 2 of those over here if anyone is chasing them - thought I had sold one for you the other week but the bloke wanted me to get it chromed etc before he would buy it .................
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
EK DAZ
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by EK DAZ »

Nice old Ajay mate.We had a 51 500, but My Dad sold it to buy a "58 Goldflash.Regards Daz.
EK DAZ
In the Shed
State: SA

Post by In the Shed »

Blacky wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:31 pm Dont forget mate, I still have 2 of those over here if anyone is chasing them - thought I had sold one for you the other week but the bloke wanted me to get it chromed etc before he would buy it .................
No worries Blacky
A day in the shed beats a day at work!
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

EK DAZ wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:01 pm Nice old Ajay mate.We had a 51 500, but My Dad sold it to buy a "58 Goldflash.Regards Daz.
Thanks Daz, you can't beat the sound of a nice twin, but I like the bang of a big single too. :thumbsup:
Regards
Stephen
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Hi Folks,
I have been slowly putting this ute back to original with a few minor / subtle tweaks along the way. I need to do some spray painting in the future as I am putting my outfit back on the road after 14 yrs of hibernation. As my experience in spray painting has been confined to painting fences (not graffiti painting I hasten to add), just fences around the house I thought I would paint a dash panel for the ute to replace the chrome one currently installed. At the same time I decided to paint the sun visor brackets too.

Some pics of my progress to date, but I would appreciate some advice.

A pic of my spray gun is in one of the pics and I was happy how I had that set up. The depth of colour was ok, no runs and I used wet & dry after 24 hrs & 3 coats finishing with 1200 grade. Applied another 3 coats next day. The finish texture was a little a little rough so used some polish to bring up the shine however I have gone through the colour to reveal the undercoat. I gather I need more paint but not sure why the finish is not smoother. I am using acrylic with thinners at a ratio of 1:1 as per paint directions. I want to paint gloss black on my bike so will need a good finish.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Stephen
Attachments
From the spare parts dept
From the spare parts dept
IMG_2920.jpg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 672 times
IMG_2921.jpg
IMG_2921.jpg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 672 times
Strippped and wet & dry to 800 grit
Strippped and wet & dry to 800 grit
IMG_2943.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 672 times
Undercoated with 3 coats. Finished with 800 wet & dry then cleaned with paint prep cleaner
Undercoated with 3 coats. Finished with 800 wet & dry then cleaned with paint prep cleaner
IMG_2973.jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 672 times
The end result
The end result
IMG_2976.jpg (732.32 KiB) Viewed 673 times
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Take 2 with the dashboard painting.

I gave the previous work a fine sand with some 2000 wet & dry and cleaned them all. I increased the thinners to 1.5 parts to 1 part paint. Made some adjustments on the gun and had another go. This time got a much better finish that had a nice gloss level off the gun. After a couple coats I did not do any polishing just let it dry and installed it. So for my first real effort I'm very happy with the results.

I'm not ready to tackle painting a car but certainly more confident to paint mudguards and other bits for my bike later on. A couple pics of the installed dashboard as well as a parcel shelf I had previously made and installed.

Regards
Stephen
Attachments
The start
The start
IMG_2984.jpg (679.99 KiB) Viewed 638 times
IMG_2988.jpg
IMG_2988.jpg (678.22 KiB) Viewed 638 times
Parcel shelf complete with vintage tunes
Parcel shelf complete with vintage tunes
IMG_2985.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 638 times
The end result
The end result
IMG_2990.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 638 times
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

I wouldnt be prepping for paint using 2000 grit paper, the work needs some roughness so the paint will key into it , if its too smooth the paint will not bond properly. I would think 600 or 800 max would be preferable ?
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
59wagon

Post by 59wagon »

Looks good, Stephen. I think the instrument cluster panel being the same colour as the rest of the dash looks neat.

Is that clock cutout panel and clock an accessory that was available back in the day? Haven't seen that before.

Cheers,

John
59wagon

Post by 59wagon »

59wagon wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:24 am Is that clock cutout panel and clock an accessory that was available back in the day? Haven't seen that before.
Never mind. I just went back on your thread and found the answer :wink34: Nice Yoot
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

I’ve seen it in the flesh and it is very tidy and original with a few tastefully subtle improvements

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Errol62 wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 12:18 pm I’ve seen it in the flesh and it is very tidy and original with a few tastefully subtle improvements

Thanks Clay :thumbsup:
In the Shed

Post by In the Shed »

Hi All,
Been saving my coins and took the plunge to get the front bumper & indicator housings rechromed. I had previously had the bonnet bar and bonnet bird done so this now has restored the front chrome back to something very presentable.

Cost wasn't too bad due to the bumper being in three pieces, as you know. The plater said your lucky it is not a mid 50's Chevy those one piece bumpers start at $1000! Yikes!

I also found the bonnet letters in the shed after looking for them for the last two years! So threw them on too. Just need to fix the bonnet stop adjusters so I can get the bonnet to sit right.

Stephen
Attachments
IMG_3210.jpg
IMG_3210.jpg (463.61 KiB) Viewed 630 times
Errol62

Post by Errol62 »

Those bolts tend to seize and snap off. What’s worse is when the corners rust and the captive nut collapses. I recall replacing one set with tensile hex head bolts. Once the bump rubbers are on doesn’t matter.

It can be a juggle to get the bonnet lined up. Yours looks not too bad. Not too many cars I’ve seen are perfect in this area.

getting my FB ute on the road
EK van on rotisserie
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Nice work Stephen really like your ute mate

Neil
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
thebrotherj
State: NSW

Post by thebrotherj »

FireKraka wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:09 am Nice work Stephen really like your ute mate

Neil
seconded, from this corner of the EK Ute Appreciation Society :thumbsup: