Grecian White/Apache Red 225

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

parisian62
State: NSW

Re: Grecian White/Apache Red 225

Post by parisian62 »

:thumbsup: Thumbs up from me Craig. :thumbsup:
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer
Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Post by Craig Allardyce »

Thanks Blacky, Brett, Stewart, and Ben.
Sadly I've ditched the DCOE Weber in order to get rid of the constant flat spot. Beautiful carby, but with this manifold it didn't work.
This set up has taken some work to get it right. I even ran it on my boat first to prove it would fix the problem before trying to make it fit in the FB. Again I have made sure there is no cutting and shutting. I've even managed to use the standard throttle bar and linkage. Air filter sizes were an issue though as I'm a fan of K&N filters. This one is slightly longer than I liked but time beat me on it so it had to do for the nationals. I will be looking at getting a custom K&N filter later on and modifying the covers "again" to give me some extra clearance where needed.
I'm close to the right needle and spring combo in the carbs, just have to fit the fuel ratio meter and do some testing in the next couple of weeks.
Fuel pressure control is another issue though as these carbs tend to flood if it gets too high.
Last edited by Craig Allardyce on Wed May 13, 2015 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rosco

Post by rosco »

Love your work on that air filter body - just like the rest of the work I see you do on your FB, Craig.

Comes a time in your life when you are no longer a kid - and, instead of tricking stuff to "almost" fit - with the impending "hot date" causing you to take even greater short-cuts to get the car on the road again - some of us older folk now have time to respect both what we're doing and what we're working with - or attempting to...

Your work is every bit of that domain and both a credit to you and this great FB.

Pity you didn't make up a jig for that cover to be pressed on - I expect you'd have had a lot of "orders".. nothing like polished aluminium or alloy.. and the use of polished stainless - it romps over chrome, especially the "modern" chrome - in my opinion - of course...

frats,
Rosco
Craig Allardyce

Thanks Rosco,

yep no hot dates anymore, I'm married now..............my wife is reading as I type this...................I love her very much.............especially as she is helping me polish everything! :mrgreen:

Hope you get yours sorted with the wheels. We never really caught up last year and when you came to pick the diff up. Hoping we will this year and I get to check your car out too. Cheers.
rosco

Post by rosco »

Thanks Craig - yes, know the deal.... glad to learn that you get "some" help with your car... I get "navigatory" help - at best - but she's a good sport - I know there are many with old buses like ours who's partners have absolutely not one jot of interest in them.

I did "all" my dating in this dear old thing... raised all our kids in it - the eldest learned to drive in it... it's really been the "family" car - until we bought the shopping cart in '91 and then the truck in '09...

Brake servo unit has been changed - one job off the list... oil pump changed.. two jobs off the list... working down - but, it's a long "list"..

Yes, we'll catch up this year with a bit of luck - only got those few minutes last year at the show'n'shine.. and a quick hand-over when you were in the midst of moving...

Everyone thinks they will have all day to chat at the show'n'shine... nup - too blasted well "busy" looking at stuff, marking up the vote sheet (might not do that this year... I took my entrant number off as well last year - don't want to be judged - hate it) taking pix - and scouring over what "other" people have done with issues I have... not to mention getting absolutely "lost" in some of the splendid specimens like yours.. I'm an odd-ball - there are cars which fascinate me - most others don't give them a second look... what a waste - each to their own.
So, chances of us having a chat at the show'n'shine, dinners or cruises are pretty slim - just so much to do.. I'll try and line up with you - but you are going to be equally busy... it's just the way the nats run... busy, busy, busy...

Love what you're doing with your car... love to do the same with mine...

frats,
Rosco
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

Craig I've been having issues with fuel pressure in the roadster as the early holley carbs can only handle 3 psi. I had been running the dial type but have had three fail so have switched to the Holley low pressure reg and seem to have gotten some stability now. Maybe that's the next thing to look at?
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
Craig Allardyce

Brett are you running a return line to tank. Mine is a CR Industries inline unit (2 port - in & out) and I think the lack of fuel return bleed off might be an issue. I ended up putting new needles and seat in and gave the carbies and fuel lines a good clean out again.
ben
State: NOT ENTERED

Post by ben »

Running the same CR industries/redline reg at 2.5psi with twin SU's, no return line.....no issues.
Craig Allardyce

Thanks Ben. Do you have a picture of your set up?
ben

Post by ben »

No close up on hand Graig, but there's a long shot, last page of build thread (My FB EK) 'one more wagon'...... sorry can't do the link thing
Craig Allardyce

ben wrote:No close up on hand Graig, but there's a long shot, last page of build thread (My FB EK) 'one more wagon'...... sorry can't do the link thing
Thanks Ben, I got it. Just trying to make out how you fitted the twin SU's in and what type they are. I ended up using HIF's and had to jam them close together so side mounted fuel bowls were out. You looked to have relocated your battery...interesting....where did you put it being that yours is a wagon?
Devilrod

Post by Devilrod »

No return line on my setup Craig.
Speed and Style........... One day I'll get the speed bit.
Craig Allardyce

Thanks Brett
ben

Post by ben »

Craig Allardyce wrote:
ben wrote:No close up on hand Graig, but there's a long shot, last page of build thread (My FB EK) 'one more wagon'...... sorry can't do the link thing
Thanks Ben, I got it. Just trying to make out how you fitted the twin SU's in and what type they are. I ended up using HIF's and had to jam them close together so side mounted fuel bowls were out. You looked to have relocated your battery...interesting....where did you put it being that yours is a wagon?
Swapped it to the other side of engine bay Craig

Cheers
Craig Allardyce

Shit..............going blind.....er....... :mrgreen: