Pa's Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Rusty EK
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: Pa's Ute

Post by Rusty EK »

Bit of advice , just look at one chunk , and then fix that piece , then go onto another piece , and so on , if you look at the whole thing it just seems too much and you will walk away and do nothing , well thats what I found anyway , helped me to do it like this :thumbsup:
OldMan's Lacky

Post by OldMan's Lacky »

Took your advice Rusty!!!

Big milestone achieved yesterday ... finally got to put something back on 'Pa's Ute' rather than always taking something off.

Through the assistance of Greg on the forum (providing the middle section) and Mario (friend) the front driver's side floor was repaired!!!!! Woohoo! Mario made it look easy and made my 50-60 hours of preparation look like an overkill :lol:

Out of interest, does anybody know why the new rust panels don't extend all the way back to the middle section?

Now just have to tidy up a couple more bits so that Mario can weld the other floor panel and the cabin will be enclosed and ready for re-fit.

Anyways time to get back out there with a new lease!

Cheers.
Rusty EK

Post by Rusty EK »

Looks good :thumbsup:
Mick Jagger

Post by Mick Jagger »

nice welding,the next panels will be coming
kmawic
OldMan's Lacky

Post by OldMan's Lacky »

Cheers Rusty and Mick.

Question - I have found out that the engine had a crack in it and has since been welded. The engine is out at the moment but has been rebuilt. I am concerned that the weld might not hold. Should I source another engine block or should I give this one a go? What would others do? Is there any conclusive way to prove it would hold ... some sort of compression test?

Here's a picture of the weld:

And no it is not a blue motor ... just a 138 grey that has been painted.

Cheers.
BILLY BLACKARROW
State: NSW

Post by BILLY BLACKARROW »

Doesn't look like a weld to me looks more like BOG / GLUE / FIBRE GLASS but i'm no expert i can barely weld
BILLY :arrow:
BILLY BLACKARROW
MY Father always said do the hard part first --because when you are OVER IT you only have the easy part left to do THINGS I HAVE TRIED TO LIVE BY
vmx-mxr

Post by vmx-mxr »

Blocks are a dime a dozen. If it was mine I'd find another one to be on the safe side.

Dave Mac :D
OldMan's Lacky

Post by OldMan's Lacky »

Thanks Dave.

Spoke with the old man during the week about the block. I originally thought the crack in the block was what took the ute off the road however that wasn't the case (clutch). The engine was still running fine but there was a little water seepage from the block. So the old man welded it up. Apparently it was only a very small crack and the old man said that if it was significant he wouldn't have repaired it. So I am going to go with the block and see how it goes.

Even so, I will be on the lookout for another grey motor, as a spare, so if anyone has one that is spare, able to be reconditioned and close to Canberra (including Sydney) let me know. I will use it as a chance to learn more. :thumbsup: No hurry.

I am also on the lookout for an external windscreen visor (missed out on one recently on ebay) so again, if anyone has a spare I would love to hear from you!

Cheers.

Danny
vmx-mxr

Post by vmx-mxr »

Danny

Should have a freeby spare block if you want it. Sounds like the old one will be OK though.

Drop me a PM if you are interested - we're in Sydney.

OldMan's Lacky

Post by OldMan's Lacky »

SunnyTim wrote:Just be careful as a utility visor has different mounting brackets than a sedan or wagon from memory (different roof profile). Ideally if you can find a set on a ute you're laughing, but the sedan/wagon ones will fit with a bit of persuading :wink:
Tim
Thanks heaps for heads up Tim, didn't know that and probably would have come unstuck :thumbsup:
OldMan's Lacky

Post by OldMan's Lacky »

vmx-mxr wrote:Danny

Should have a freeby spare block if you want it. Sounds like the old one will be OK though.

Drop me a PM if you are interested - we're in Sydney.

And this why this site is so brilliant!!!!! I would never have expected this and yet this isn't the first time members have offered parts/advice for nought. It is even more astounding when members haven't met others they assist. I'm overwhelmed. Thanks very much Dave, I will PM you shortly although I will try to convince you to accept some type of recompense ... :wink:
OldMan's Lacky

Post by OldMan's Lacky »

Have had to wait for a while until Mario, the welder, was available again. Anyway he put in a few hours today and welded in the panel (thanks to Greg and his donor vehicle) just before the suspension on the driver's side. Very happy with his efforts.

Half way there now.

Before:

After:

EK283

Post by EK283 »

Danny,

Things are starting to take shape, its good to see you are doing this in a proper fashion. I'm happy the bits I gave you are being used to save

another old girl, keep up the good work !

Regards Greg
So many cars so little time!
OldMan's Lacky

Post by OldMan's Lacky »

Cheers Greg!!! Happy to see some progress on your wonderful project too!!

Little bit more done over Easter - plate welded over the shockies. Will obviously use a hole saw to provide access to them:

Bare metal covered in rust converter/primer/sealer.

Intent is once the last floor panel is welded in, to strip all the existing paint from the floor and lead wipe any remaining pin holes. Hopefully it won't reveal any further nasties but at least I will be confident for years to come.
parisian62

Post by parisian62 »

Good stuff Danny. :thumbsup:

Stewart
Feelin free in a '61 FB.
Member of FB-EK Holden Car Club Of NSW Inc.
Check out the Rebuild of Old Timer