Pa's Ute

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

OldMan's Lacky
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: Pa's Ute

Post by OldMan's Lacky »

I haven't been able to get the top bolt on the left side bracket in (1st picture). Tried everything from loosening the right side to trying to put the bolts in first and then the engine mount. Finally got one bolt in and then the engine mount bolted on and then heard the metal come away from the rubber (before I could get the 2nd bolt in). Obviously put too much strain on it. I have the brackets on the engine mounts right don't I?
STATION SEDAN

Post by STATION SEDAN »

The drivers side mount looks wrong, the two bolts that hold the clutch slave cylinder on go through the slave, box and the small plate/mount.
The other side looks good.
Cheers Scott
Blacky
State: WA

Post by Blacky »

I went out the shed and took a pic of mine - yes I know its dirty but it gets driven. A lot.

When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
OldMan's Lacky

Post by OldMan's Lacky »

Thanks Scott and Blacky! I think I've got it right. It just looks funny because I could only get one bolt in that goes through the box. I must be putting too much tension on the mount or it might have been inferior. Either way I got a new one today and will try again this weekend. Thanks gents.
OldMan's Lacky

Post by OldMan's Lacky »

Engine in! Next task ... fuel and brake lines.

Blacky

Post by Blacky »

so what was the problem ????
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

OldMan's Lacky

Post by OldMan's Lacky »

Not sure Blacky. I reckon it wasn't aligned properly and I put too much strain on the engine mount. I changed tact. I removed the bracket that the engine mount bolts to. Then bolted the gearbox to the other bracket, then bolted the engine mount on and then used the engine crane to align and then re-installed the main bracket to the wishbone. Seemed a lot easier and seemed to place less strain on the engine mount. Trial and error :thumbsup: .
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Happy days :ebiggrin: on to the next drama ....... :think:

OldMan's Lacky

Post by OldMan's Lacky »

Anyone had to deal with securing the accelerator pedal to a new floor pan? The hole is obviously too big for the bracket. Would welcome images :D
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

You're going to need to weld a patch in there mate ......

OldMan's Lacky

Post by OldMan's Lacky »

Damn ... I was hoping you weren't gonna say that. Ah well. Thanks Blacky.
OldMan's Lacky

Post by OldMan's Lacky »

Well I am an extremely happy boy today compared to a couple of weeks ago.

Mario (my go to man for anything mechanical) came to assist me with starting Pa's ute. This would be the first time in over 17 years. Unfortunately since the old man reconditioned the engine the valves had seized. I expected things wouldn't go smoothly so without fuss took the head off and dropped in at the local Head Services. $470 later I picked up a machined head with all valves re-seated. Like new they said.

Brought it back and torqued it up. Installed side case with all new gaskets. Last bolt on the valve train ... snap! It was at that moment that my wife heard, from the bathroom, a number of expletives. Not sure whether an injury had occurred, she poked her head outside and cautiously asked if I was okay. I was fine. As I removed the valve train I prayed numerous times to my god that it didn't snap within the head. He/she heard my prayer and 4mm was sticking just above, enough for me to remove it safely. So spent the next few days putting everything back on in preparation for Mario's return.

Whilst a few things still need to be rectified before it can be fired up by the key ignition ... today it STARTED!!!!! Will post a couple of photos once I remember how and am about to post a video on FB. So happy and so appreciative of Mario. We all have that one person that can be relied upon and I'm so thankful that I have Mario!!! On the downhill slope now. Hoping to have it all finished and registered by middle of the year.

BTW - I think I may have mentioned that before my old man got hold of the ute it was actually my older brother's who used it daily (a ceramic tiler). He appears in a couple of the earlier photos in this thread. Well sadly my brother died unexpectedly in November from a heart attack. So Pa's ute now holds even more sentimental value than it once did. :heartt:
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

Sorry to hear about your brother mate :( , but good news on the motor :D

OldMan's Lacky

Post by OldMan's Lacky »

And "AP's Ute/Pa's Ute" is finished AP Parker! Registered during the week and took the old man to the ACT Holden Day today. Huge thanks to Mario for days on the welder. Special thanks to Gavin Lockwood for the interior, Glass 4 Cars, John Res Auto, ACT Brakes, Phillip Radiator Service, Electroplating Technology (chrome work), and many members from the FB-EK Holden Forum (Blacky, Greg etc.) and Facebook pages. And of course to my old man for 10 years of hard work and for my wife for putting up with my tantrums and poor bank balance. 17 years not being driven ... time to make up for it.
IMG_1056.JPG
IMG_1056.JPG (403.11 KiB) Viewed 913 times
IMG_1060.JPG
IMG_1060.JPG (334.97 KiB) Viewed 913 times
IMG_1063.JPG
IMG_1063.JPG (245.66 KiB) Viewed 913 times
IMG_1066.JPG
IMG_1066.JPG (229.29 KiB) Viewed 913 times
IMG_1067.JPG
IMG_1067.JPG (515.61 KiB) Viewed 913 times
IMG_1069.JPG
IMG_1069.JPG (213.95 KiB) Viewed 913 times
IMG_1070.JPG
IMG_1070.JPG (220.54 KiB) Viewed 913 times
IMG_1080.JPG
IMG_1080.JPG (231.93 KiB) Viewed 913 times
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

awesome news mate 👍👍😎😎
It's all worth it the first time you hit the road with a fresh set of plates screwed too it 😎😎😎