"(AUST)Mod's Turbo FB"

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

MeFB
State: NOT ENTERED

Re: "(AUST)Mod's Turbo FB"

Post by MeFB »

choppedfan wrote:That's why we build em', who wants another garage ornament hidden under a car cover.
I'll take one :wave:

But I do need one to drive also...that's why I got the FB.

:arrow: :D
Alan
Member No.1 of the FB EK Holden Car Club of WA (Woo-hoo :D sweet!)
Brodie

Post by Brodie »

Should be good for a laugh if nothin else! :D
[img]http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww162/brodie_mitchell/av-49951.gif[/img]
(AUST)Mod
State: WA

Post by (AUST)Mod »

Ah crap.

I thought I was just replacing a split silicone hose.... It is never that simple!

Seems like the nut came off my air filter housing, traveled through one of the carbies, and made a mess of the turbo.

Can was driving well, just making no boost. Hopefully engine is ok.

I need the car in two weeks, so hopefully I can get her going quickly.

:thumbsdown:
Craig wrote: Andrew you have a red so I wouldn't race it :wink:

searsy

Post by searsy »

Makes you wonder where all the filings ended up
Bugger
Devilrod
State: VIC

Post by Devilrod »

Ouch, could have been worse though. I had a nut do similar but it made it into the engine.... Cracked block and split piston.

Make sure next time nothing that can fall off is in the intake system.
MeFB

Post by MeFB »

Ouch :shock: :thumbsdown:

On the upside, at least the car was still running strong so can't be anything too terminal happening in the engine :thumbsup:

Alan
SC00BB
State: NSW

Post by SC00BB »

Ouch! :shock:
Craig Allardyce
State: VIC

Post by Craig Allardyce »

If you have an intercooler between the turbo and engine you should be ok. I've seen large diesel engines that I have worked on that have had turbo's hand grenade much worse than yours survive with no engine damage. The intercooler acts like a filter in a way and catches the filings in the intake side. I would recommend pulling your intercooler out and giving it a thorough clean though, even a strip down. Also strip all your boost hose work and piping as fragments can get caught around the pipe clamp areas; even on the intake to the turbo. For some reason the turbo tends to blow fragments back out its intake a well.
(AUST)Mod

Post by (AUST)Mod »

No cooler between engine and turbo, so the filings have gone through the combustion chambers and out the exhaust. The engine was running strong, with no signs of damage except making no boost. I hope it is ok, because I need to drive this car in a wedding in a couple of weeks. If it is not, I won't be replacing the red. I will head towards a Jap motor either 1JZ / 2JZ / Rb25 / Rb30.

MeFB

Post by MeFB »

(AUST)Mod wrote:I will head towards a Jap motor either 1JZ / 2JZ / Rb25 / Rb30.
:shock: Noooooooo!!

:arrow: :lol:
Alan
EKjimmy

Post by EKjimmy »

So that's what the snail looking thing is for - an extra air filter
'The best engine in the world is a vagina. It can be started with only one finger. It is self-lubricating. It takes any size piston. And it changes it's own oil every four weeks. It is a pity that the management system is so f*$king temperamental.'
VS355

Post by VS355 »

Man that sucks :(.
MeFB

Re:

Post by MeFB »

VS355 wrote:Man that sucks :(.
And blows - it being a turbo and all :lol:

But seriously, could have been so much worse than that!

Alan
(AUST)Mod

Post by (AUST)Mod »

FB has been getting driven a fair bit lately. The straight through exhaust is getting a little bit old when cruising, but geez it sounds good when on the loud pedal.

I took it down to the Summersun Festival a few weeks back and it was getting up to 220 on the temp gauge. Had a look in the radiator last weekend and sure enough, lots of brown crud. Time for a flush I think.

Need to chase up some replacement rear bumpstops as the rear uni hits the floor with passengers in the back. The current bump stops are somewhat 'shortened' so some standard length replacements should make all the difference. :yeahhh: The only reason I am doing this is because I have been asked to use it in a wedding in a few months, and will need to fill it with passengers. The last time it was used in a wedding resulted in me ejecting one of the fat bridesmaids at an intersection because the car was riding on the bumpstops which in turn caused the rear uni to constantly rub on the floor! I don't want to encounter that again!

The pictures below are from yesterday's Cars and Coffee gathering.

Whilst there, I was approached for an interview by Zoom TV. One of the first questions the bloke asked me was 'have you ever thought about painting it a more masculine colour?' :erm: :oops:

My segment should air this Saturday on 7 Mate at 10:00 am WST.

All in all, it is a bloody reliable car. The paint and interior is starting to show its age, and the panel work which I did when I was 17 is uglier and uglier to more I look at it. Currently tossing up whether to pull it off the road for a rebuild (body and interior), or whether to leave it as it is and get another couple of summers out of it before pulling it down. The old man now owns a 1967 Coupe DeVille so not having the FB on the road to cruise in is no biggie. The Caddy is equally as cool and so much more tame to drive!

In any event, what will happen in the near future is some further engine work. I will be looking to revert back to my first turbo, head towards a Holley carb and perhaps some water/meth injection. All in good time!

Mick
State: NSW

Post by Mick »

don't worry about the uni ribbing till the carpet catches fire :shock: how do I know that will happen :lol: :lol: :lol:
sometimes yor just better off shitting in yor hands and clapping

W.S.C.C.A
Woodstock chapter