Neil's FB Station Wagon

Post photos of your pride and joy, or updates on your rebuild!

Moderators: reidy, Blacky

Blacky
State: WA

Re: Neil's FB Station Wagon

Post by Blacky »

FireKraka wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:28 pm I'm a bit cheesed about the engine thing still :esad: the thing is I can have an EFI 5Lt V8 :roll: but can't have a 3.8 Lt V6, the Kw aren't the issue, the L67 V6 is 171Kw I believe limit apparently is 174Kw, because of the supercharger the L67 miss by just over 300ml in capacity which is what you guys said, I find it stupid.
The VP V8 was rated at 180Kw reading Doctor Google :crazy: :roll:
Yeah I know, it makes NO sense and the engineers are all afraid of pushing the boundaries even though the boundaries are stupid......

We were at Roger and Ammo's last year after Fins on the River when his engineer came over for his first meeting and to have a look at the sedan - I was thinking to myself "Roger is about to cop a MASSIVE kick in the guts" when he pitched his TWIN TURBO 350 idea to the engineer and the engineer just went "yeah no problem, except where the hell are you going to put them?" :D :D

I said to Shahni later on " we are moving to SA" 8) 8)
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Foundation member #61 of FB/EK Holden club of W.A.
Harv
State: NSW

Post by Harv »

From memory, there is no kW restriction in NCOP. I did not need to supply a dyno run for the wagon. Some states may apply one though.

It would mean I cannot have a bog-stock 350 Chev, but I can put in a 308. Nothing stopping me from leaning on that thing the way we did in the '90's when turbos were only on &*#@ Sierras and trucks. A 308 that COME Racing had breathed on was a significant bit of kit.

Same deal with the 327 I now have. It puts out 300kW, and there is nothing stopping me from going nuts with the cam, intake and exhaust to wind that up even more.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

W.A. applies the 180kW per tonne rule so an FB/EK is essentially limited to 200RWkW
When you're faced with an unpleasant task that you really don't want to do, sometimes you just have to dig deep down inside and somehow find the patience to wait for someone else to do it for you.

Harv

Post by Harv »

I can remember when the 180kW/tonne idea was floated in mid-2017. Many naysayer's "knew a bloke who's aunt's third cousin is in the RTA, and has the paperwork that it is now law in NSW". I was mid-build on the wagon, and was putting out about 215kW/tonne.
https://fbekholden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=227898

I checked with the engineer. No worries from his end. The 180kW/tonne concept never got legislated here. The closest we come is for P-plate drivers: 130kW/tonne.

Cheers,
Harv
327 Chev EK wagon, original EK ute for Number 1 Daughter, an FB sedan meth monster project and a BB/MD grey motored FED.
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

A while ago I floated the idea of a Kia Stinger twin turbo V6 they are only 3.3Lt but put out 330Kw, to say the least he just laughed even though he is a sort of family friend as Blacky said they will not push the boundary. :roll:
Member of WA FB/EK Car Club
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
1950's Commer Light Truck (2.5 Ton)
Cliff Regan

Post by Cliff Regan »

Neil,
I had to get a step test done on mine.
Cliff Regan

Post by Cliff Regan »

That should have said Swept test
Harv

Post by Harv »

Cliff Regan wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:20 pm That should have said Swept test
Was that a test to check swept volume?

If so did they do it by removing the head and measuring bore and stroke, or by using a puff tester? My engineer threatened the former.

Cheers,
Harv
Cliff Regan

Post by Cliff Regan »

Neil,

I also used Sam for my engineers report.

The request for the Swept test came from the DOT as part of there approval after the modification application went in.

I had it done (don't quote me on this) by Briffa Eng in Bayswater. Heads didn't come off, I drove the car there on a permit,it took about an hour or so, they done it while I waited and provided a test report.

Hope this helps
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

So I’m resigned to the fact that my supercharged dream is over :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: so I’m going to puta cam package in the engine I have, some VR heads to lift the compression and I can almost be at the same kw as Franks engine and the L67 I wanted.

Finishing the last two floor repairs today, big step, finish dog legs then it’s time to deal with the roof I suppose :lol: :lol: :lol: when’s the nationals :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Cut from the donor for the drivers side, going to my company workshop to get blasted tomorrow
IMG_2060.jpeg
IMG_2060.jpeg (3.51 MiB) Viewed 306 times
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Trim it down a bit more before fitting.
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Going to have the HR cross member modified soon to take power steering and a standard V6 sump, was thinking of doing the CRS coilover upgrade has anybody done this by chance.
Picked up a VR power steering rack on the weekend from Gumtree at a reasonable price :roll: (got to wait till the FIFO guy gets home) the VR rack has the safer D shank/bar not the splined one.
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project
Blacky

Post by Blacky »

I don't know if a Commodore power rack is going to help you much mate - as far as i am aware you can't narrow them ???

FireKraka

Post by FireKraka »

Hey Blacky Albert is going to modify my crossmember and he says he has the power steering sorted that white van of Des' was built by Albert and I believe it has power steering along with aircon which albert said he will also help me sort out.
Frankenstein EK V6 Ute
FB Station Wagon Project